Skyline Drive to the Dragon

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jeffV, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jeffV

jeffV boob

Oddometer:
    The Wife and I plan on running the Skyline, Blue Ridge, Cherohala Sky way and the Dragon leaving central PA on May 9. Any thoughts on these routes and attractions, motels, restaurants etc. would by appreciated. The wife rides a F650gs and I ride a DL 650.
  2. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    With the kind of weather we have had lately May should be nice. There isn't much on the mountain to partake in, but several interesting things right off Skyline Drive and the BRP. I live at the end of Skyline Drive and the begining off the BRP. You can do Skyline easily within a day and the BRP within 2 without to much hassle. IMO the BRP is much more interesting. Give me a shout when time nears and maybe I coul tag along a piece. Where in PA are y'all coming from and how much travel time do you have?
  3. jeffV

jeffV boob

Oddometer:
    I live near Williamsport PA and we are taking 9 days. I should be able to let you know when we are coming through.
  4. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    jeffV,
    I have a summer cabin close to Robbinsville,NC, Cherohala, and the Dragon.
    Give me shout when you are in that area and we can ride a bit. Don't miss Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest and the giant Hemlocks. If you coming south on Dragon (US129) take a right on NC1134 over to the Cherohala Skyway (NC 143) and you will go by Joyce Kilmer.
  5. JcbKarl

JcbKarl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A nice motel to stay the night on the Blue Ridge Parkway is at a spot called Little Switzerland. It seems like it was somewhere between 150 and 200 miles up the parkway from the south end so that would put it around milepost 270 - 320. What's unique is that it's just a couple hundred feet off the Parkway, so very convenient. They are also very motorcycle friendly. They have a swimming pool with a mountain view, my room had 2 doors - one went right out to my motorcycle. I went through in the off season and it cost me about $75 to stay there, but I think it'd probably be a lot more in May. A super nice buffet breakfast was included, though. Very nice place with a lot of charm - way nicer than dropping down off the parkway to a Days Inn or something.
  6. Hayden#69

Hayden#69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man, one of my favorit rides. When going through NC down the BRP check out Grandfather Mountain just south of Boone in the Pisgah N.F. I have a good friend that worked on Grandfather mountain for a couple of years. Her and I went back about 3 years ago and stayed for a week on the mountain. It was AWSOME. Check out Linville Falls and Linville Gorge also just south of Grandfather Mountain. You wont be dissapointed.

This is all just North of Little Switzerland that JcbKarl mentioned.

Hayden
  7. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Travel through WV in stead of the BRP. Deals Gap will not have much appeal after you have ridden through WV ! You will just get a sticker and want to go back to WV.
  8. jeffV

jeffV boob

Oddometer:
    We plan on going back via West Virginia. I did some riding down there last year around Green Bank and Cass. It was some of the most fun I have had on my bike. Actually had to pull over and catch my breath after riding all the twisty roads. Route 250 into Virginia is one of my all time favorite roads.
  9. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Around milemarker 165 is Tuggle Gap. There's a hole in the wall diner/bar/motel. It's has the best coconut cream pie in the world. The old BRP maps show a bunch of gas stations that have been removed over the last few years. No gas on the BRP.

When down at Deals Gap the Fontana Lodge/Village is about the nicest place to stay. If you stay there, sign up for the Dragon Slayers special. You get 25% off the motel bill and that brings it down to a resonable price for a very nice room.

This is also my favorite ride. If you want more info on motels, gas stations or places to eat give me a PM.
  10. dukethedog

dukethedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually there is gas on the BRP- about 15 or 20 in from the north on the right hand side. Just filled there in fall. Off of Skyline Drive at Rt. 211, Sperryville is about 8 miles off the Skyline Drive and has a couple nice restaurants and a great roadside burger joint. The ride down and back is nice as well.
  11. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no. All the stations on the BRP have been removed. Including, Peaks of Otter, Doughton Park and Mt. Pisgah. The Otter Creek restaurant has been closed as well. There may have been other's that I have not noticed.

There are 20-30 gas stations that are near the BRP. They are listed in a booklet available from the NPS at any of the visitor centers. The bad news is that they do not tell you if the station is to the east or west of the parkway. Nor do they tell you how far off the station is. This can be a pain. On a Sunday the stations in the smaller areas tend to be closed. You have to plan on getting fuel near the bigger towns.

I have certain gas stops that I use that are within a few hundred feet to a mile off the parkway. If you have not planned ahead that strech between Fancy Gap and Blowing Rock can be a long push.