SLAP 2017 -- Ozark, AR May 19-21

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scribe, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    We'll also have an area info sheet on site with places to eat, places to get gas, places to get your broken body fixed, places to get your broken bike fixed, etc.
    Whizzy and DirtyDog like this.
  2. VTwinner

VTwinner ADV Parts Breaker

Oddometer:
    Looks like my plus one can't make it.
    Anyone need to buy a spot?
    hrdrckclmr likes this.
  3. hrdrckclmr

hrdrckclmr this is gonna hurt

Oddometer:
    I do. i just found out that i can go and they've closed it TXT me Please 8162237401 really don't want to miss it this year
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

In!
  5. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    guavadude, Whizzy and tomski74 like this.
  6. Whizzy

Whizzy Arky by choice Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't be there this year. Our son is graduating in St. Louis.

Y'all have a great time and please, try not to do anything stupid.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Don't forget my White Castle!!!
  8. Whizzy

Whizzy Arky by choice Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, one box of meadow muffins.
    Albie likes this.
  9. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    SLAP 2017 Loopapalooza!

I've created several full day loop rides from Byrd's that should be all bike friendly. I've used pieces of the excellent AR500 routes (so donate some funds to the TCWR and thank ScottyXR) and some of O'Leary's monthly camping trips (buy his lunch/gas). I've tried to keep them around the 150 mile mark with a few longer exceptions. I've also created a shorter dirt loop to the Wilderness Buffalo ATV area since it will be open to SLAP inmates this year, so you'll have time to ride in the ATV park.

There are a few hard sections, some sections from O'leary's small bike routes and rain can change these roads considerably. You might also have to re-route to cross a river creek so use these as a guide to get you heading in all directions but be flexible. Disclaimer: These are NOT from a pre-ride (and I'm from Dallas).

I'm using dualsportmaps.com so all the waypoints and icons should stay the same. For these tracks I used City Nav NA 2013.3 and Topo US 24k South Central. Sometimes these maps are a little off from the actual road but it should be obvious.
    I'm also reposting the AR500 Library and the Single Track Library from previous posts since it's all on the DSMaps site now.

Don't say I never gave you anything!

SLAP 2017 LOOPAPALOOZA
    These are the loops from Byrd's.
    Download .gpx from here:
    https://dualsportmaps.com/showMap?dsmMapId=928ef5ce-094a-4b5e-96c7-cda51908eb1d

Same loops in google maps for a different view
    SLAP 2017 Loopapalooza - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=17CjzFG5Zbmtu8cgmhIbzZEIRhAA&hl=en&usp=sharing

SLAP 2017 Loopapalooza.png

AR500 2013-2017 LIBRARY
    These are yearly/daily tracks from the AR500 in condensed, labeled form. All big bike friendly but not necessarily easy.
    Please support http://www.turpentinecreek.org and http://www.arkansas500.com.
    Download .gpx from here:
    https://dualsportmaps.com/showMap?dsmMapId=a4882f0a-74ae-4da1-9de2-5aaf0ff1ee46

Google Map version
    Arkansas 500 - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1jr74ha4H1QWbt_hq-aQINAjSxX4&hl=en&usp=sharing

AR500 Google Maps.png

SLAP TRAX Single Tracks
    A library of single tracks compiled from the SLAP TRAX thread. Big Bike (and Small Bike) Antagonistic, but you'll have the best stories!

Download .gpx from here:
    https://dualsportmaps.com/showMap?dsmMapId=f5a31f84-b876-4e89-85ee-a26a65ab0fc9

Google maps version
    SLAP TRAX Single Track - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1rm-OSWPY5-RjZ8C3OAnydNgNTjE&hl=en&usp=sharing

SLAP TRAX - Single Track.png

I've uploaded a new .gpx file, Ozark Waypoints Library with nothing but categorized waypoints for Camping, Dealers, Food, Gas, Hospitals and POIs. Most of the Gas and Food are already in the Loopapalooza .gpx. Thanks to Cannonshot for compiling this!

https://dualsportmaps.com/showMap?dsmMapId=f13a58d9-01a3-4ab4-a194-f75ed4e824c8

Ride safe, ride well and stay thirsty my friend!
  10. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo! Takes a guy from Texas to get the arkansas tracks lined out. You gonna hit some single track with us this year?
    guavadude likes this.
  11. guavadude

Oddometer:
    Growing up, my Dad was a BMW rep and some of my earliest memories are going to the dealership near Beaver Lake during the summer.
    I broke my arm on a mini-bike at that dealership on my first ride! You don't get much more Arkansas-y than that.

Yeah, looking forward to a little bit of everything this year. Trailering up the DR350 for the first time, leaving the big girl at home.
    Wanting to check out the Wilderness Buffalo area for sure one day. Will probably do the Ozone loop one day because...burgers.
    I'd be up for some other adventuring but have marked the Frog falls and a few other choice places with a skull and crossbones.

Still wondering if I need to bring the kayak as well.
  12. guavadude

Oddometer:
    crap, I accidentally left off a loop. I had to redo the link above so what's up now is correct and complete.
    If you've already grabbed the Loopapalooza .gpx then just add this track to it.
    It's the Salmon colored track heading to Long Pool Campgrounds.

Attached Files:

13. guavadude

Oddometer:
    Ok, last one. Here are screen shots of each loop. I like having these printed out and with me to get a better overview than the gps will give.
    SLAP17 102 BuffaloATV Lp.png SLAP17 196 Jasper_23Lp.png SLAP17 139 LongPoolLp.png SLAP17 151 OzoneLp.png
    hondamxracer likes this.
  14. guavadude

Oddometer:
    SLAP17 200 JasperDirtLp.png SLAP17 123 LkFS Lp.png SLAP17 148 WhtRkLp.png
    goyko likes this.
  15. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is some danged fun riding on those tracks!

So here are gas stops around the area:
    Oark
    Turner Bend (Cass)
    Combs
    Nail - About 4 miles west of Deer on hw 16
    Jasper
    Ponca
    Huntsville
    Marble
    Kingston
    St. Paul
    Mt. Judea
    Compton
    Clarksville

Be aware they may only have regular gas at the places.
  16. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I give up - I have gone to your dualsportmaps.com site and created a userid/password and am logged in but can't for the life of me figure out how to download the .GPX files while I'm there???

and the "instructions" on that page are not - they just tell you what you CAN do, if you can figure it out!

Instructions on how to download from that site please!!

BTW - I appreciate the effort!
  17. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    On my tablet there is a little blue circle on the bottom left with an arrow pointing down (download).
  18. guavadude

Oddometer:
    The cloud icon is the download button. I'm working with dualsportmaps.com creator now to try and tweak a few things. I'll pass on your comments about the instructions needing to be clearer. I agree. It's a great site and worth the effort to log in and learn it.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 9.27.26 PM.png

I also use Garmin Basecamp to organize and to upload and download from my computer to my Montana gps.
    If you don't already have Basecamp installed, go grab that from Garmin http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp.

I suggest creating a new list folder and naming it SLAP. You can also create folders within folders so I have AR with a SLAP folder in it.
    Then create a new LIST in that folder, name it SLAP 2017 Loops and with it highlighted, import the Loopapalooza file.
    Create another new LIST and import the AR500 .gpx and then another for the Single Tracks .gpx.

So now you'll have three LISTS with the info still separated out. You can create as many LISTS as you want and copy and paste waypoints and tracks as you like.
    Just beware, these are aliases, so if you want to edit something and KEEP the original, you have to DUPLICATE first and then copy and paste.

Creating a lot of lists can give you a variety of views of the data. Maybe you want to see the tracks without all the waypoints...create a new list and copy just the tracks in.
    This is what my Basecamp looks like just for SLAP. A lot of lists as needed.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 9.41.36 PM.png

Once you have what you want in a LIST, plug in your gps and you can export the entire list's tracks, waypoints etc all at once. You can create a map in DSM and import it there as well.

I also import these .gpx files into Google's My Maps so people can quickly view the tracks without logging in to DSM. But, Google maps is kinda stoopid and strips all of the waypoints of their icons.

It took a good amount of shuffling to be able to get some loops worked out that covered the Ozarks in all directions originating from Byrd's. The good thing is now that it's done, I don't have to do it every year piece meal. I can refine the tracks now and update the .gpx but I'm not having to sift through all the SLAP Trax each time. Hopefully this is something that can be built upon because I don't know much about the single track tracks at all. It would be nice if people tell me a rating or give me some detailed info about the rides. Then I can update the map info and people won't be riding their shiny new KLRs UP Frog Falls...but then again, where's the fun in that?!
  19. guavadude

Oddometer:
  20. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how much more time would it have taken YOU to create individual separate track .GPX files and posted them instead of the one big glob file that has all of them, which require ALL OF US to go through all of those steps you outlined above?

I bet there is more than one person on here who would love to load the .GPX files into their GPS but don't have Basecamp, don't want it and certainly don't want to learn how to use it.

By using individual tracks, one can use www.gpsvisualizer.com to easily view them prior to loading into GPS.

Also, some of use older automotive type GPS that can't handle that "one big glob .GPX" file you have.

thanks again for your efforts, but please try to make it so that it doesn't require more individual work to use or view. thanks and see you at SLAP..