SLAP 2018, May 18-20, Ozark AR

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scribe, Dec 19, 2017.

1. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    Well on my leaving from Slap late Saturday evening I started to get concerned as I kept the Dodge reeved up as I head up the Pig Trail (23) just before getting to the 10 mph switch backs came upon a stopped car in front of me, 5 police cars with lights flashing and a flat bed recovery vehicle with the bed down getting ready too load a vehicle up. I could just make out something of an odd shadow of a vehicle. it wasn't big enough to be a car or truck so again I got worried as a sat with flashers and my bed light on to slow up anything coming up behind me. As the truck pulled the bed back up and lower it to it's secure position and they worked to strap things down I could make out 2 wheels from the back. So thoughts were is this a 4 wheeler or a motorcycle with side car or a trike? Once the truck got moving and then pulled over to let us all drive by I could finally see it was a fourwheeler that must have had and accident on 23 at some point between 9 and 10 on Saturday night. Not that makes me feel any better about someone having a MV accident but I did feel a bit of relief knowing it was not anyone from the SLAP rally that had went out for a night ride.

Hope all travel well on the way home or the next destination.
    wayno and Tinker1980 like this.
  2. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    Hey Wayno, that bike made a ok run with me yesterday. Bob and I ran around on some back roads, a bit of pavement, and a couple round abouts of three roads and the same intersection multiple times until we final headed into Mulberry to eat at the Dairy Dip and then ran over to come back up War Loop and head back for Dinner.

Thanks for riding with me Bob, even though we had no route, map, or directions.
    wayno likes this.
  3. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's actually hondamxracer in the photo I posted. I'm the one in his photos I comped further down in the pine trees but we did use the firewood thanks.
  4. JaiDee

JaiDee Searching

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to all who came from their corner of the universe to ride motorcycles, share lies and add to a great weekend of fun and camaraderie that is SLAP. Best news of all (as far as I know) is no injuries this year. Those of us from NW Arkansas greatly appreciate your participation.
    Woonjas, wayno and DeepBarney like this.
  5. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    Great event this year. Happy to see old friends, and meet new ones. My preparations as far as a GPS app turned out to be a monumental waste of time, as it seems that Back Country Navigator will download maps to use offline, and tracks to use offline, but for some reason won't work offline, so I ended up riding places where I figured it would be hard to get lost and still had a lot of fun. Thanks to the gentleman with the teardrop camper (Unsure of forum handle) for inviting my brother and I to hang out. I got to hear a story from someone with an 800 cc BMW that made me want to invest in a neck brace, if not a BMW, just one more instance where riding gear turned what could have been a tragedy into a funny story re-enacted for others.
  6. OLEARY

OLEARY Enlightened Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only got out for the day and rode Saturday. Hooked up with Scotty, Fred, Zak, Tommy, Wyatt (Zaks son) and a couple of other fellas I met for the first time. Headed up Morgan Mountain road to ride up to the 60 ft. falls and Flygap to Beach Grove road and back to camp for the morning run. Have a few photos to share of the experience.

[​IMG]

Fred was set free after getting a shower under the falls. Boy I must say, that sure felt good. It was a bit warm down in that hollow.

[​IMG]

Most of the group that Amanda was leading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on to the Blue Hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four wheelers love to ride this trail. That is why it is so flippin rocky!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the afternoon we rode the Pink Twist Road south from Low Bridge and then east to ride Cr-195 that crosses the Mullberry Creek near Catalpa. Took a couple of photos here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is about it for Saturdays ride. Had a great time hookin up with my riding buddies if only for a day.
  7. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Shout out to Nick, Matt, and Scott (sorry didn't catch your handles) for leading rides and showing this flatlander some good tracks.
    Nikoutdoor likes this.
  8. wayno

wayno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear it!
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to all the organizers, and fellow riders. The Canadians had a great time! Oh, and f- off Jerry, eh!
    razorbackrider likes this.
  10. dewey405

dewey405 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great time this weekend, I'll wait til the photo thread is started before posting the few I have.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  11. razorbackrider

razorbackrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great time this weekend! Thanks to Nick and Rob for slowing down and letting the old, the slow and the clueless follow you guys through the Ozarks!
    Nikoutdoor and DeepBarney like this.
  12. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Yep, sorry Rob. I meant thank you too but used the wrong name.
  13. spdrcr

spdrcr scrambling

Oddometer:
    Finally made it back for the first time since '13 and thoroughly enjoyed the area, the riding and the people! Big thanks for all the organizers for putting it together and hopefully I'll make it back before another 5 years go by! :nod
  14. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Great time and company I think Fishey had too good a time Saturday nite.
  15. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am guessing the accident occurred much, much earlier than that. We left for our Hotel in Ozark right after the drawing was done. We met 4 or 5 emergency vehicles headed north on 23 lights and sirens a blaring. I had already turned the wick down quite a bit after a black bear crossed the road about 50 feet in front of me a little bit South of Turners Bend.
    Dahveed likes this.
  16. DualSportDispatch

DualSportDispatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Garmin-free, the best kind of ride.
  18. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Another SLAP in the books. And didn't I tell ya it was going to be rainless? I think it's been about four years since I've been to a SLAP without a drop of rain. A most welcome change it was.

Thanks to all our sponsors for the great prizes and financial support. It wouldn't be SLAP without you.
    Thanks to the fine folks at Camp Run-a-Mucka for help putting this together.
    Thanks to Byrd's for putting up with our shenanigans, feeding us and taking care of the camping roster this year. So much easier this way.
    And thanks to everyone who came, hung out, chatted, chewed, lied about your epic adventures, told the truth about your epic adventures, and left us a couple hundred beers to drink. Less Coors Light next year, I promise.
    Mark May 17-19 on your calendar for SLAP 2019. The super, ultra, long range forecast shows no rain and highs in the 80s. See you at Byrd's.
    Woonjas, Newner, imxman and 4 others like this.
  19. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Great concept as long as you have a Garmin user to give you sketchy directions when you get lost. When in doubt, follow a river somewhere.

Had a great weekend. Thanks to you, Mike, Toyman and all the cast and crew!
    like2lean likes this.
  20. Whizzy

Whizzy Arky by choice Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to miss you Joe. Thanks for your support of the Rally.