1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Sleeping in a rest area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by bodine003, Mar 1, 2020.

1. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a motorbike in N & S Carolina
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses Contrary

Oddometer:
    Thoughts and prayers?
    CaseyJones, devo2002 and Bultaco206 like this.
  3. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you planning on doing that?

Just from a legal standpoint...there are signs in every rest area that I’ve ever stopped in that say something to the effect of “No overnight stays. Area patrolled by state police.”

That’s not even getting into the possibility of coming across a shady character.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually don't tell people where I'm going to be sleeping, but maybe you're more of a people person than I am...
    Patch, BaldKnob and knight like this.
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Off the interstate? No way.
    Some of the more rural US/state hwy rest / picnic areas, maybe.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  6. Gnarcosis

Gnarcosis The Chronicles of Gnar-nia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I wouldn’t do it, just because it’s a guarantee that people will be in and out the whole time you’re there, so the chance of encountering someone who wants some free souvenirs from your bike is much higher than I’d want.

But if you’re set on doing it, just pay attention to the signage. Some say no overnight parking, some say no parking more than 4 hours. I doubt the police would bug you, as they’d probably be able to tell you were just passing through and not planning on living there.
  7. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt they would mess with him from a legality standpoint, but I could see a LEO telling him to move along from a safety standpoint.

There’s got to be some free or low cost camping sites along the way (ex. National parks, KOA, etc.) that would at least decrease the likelihood of running into a bad situation.
  8. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    I’ve napped at rest areas all over the Southeast while on bike trips and never had a problem, but that was during the day. The one time I tried to spend the night, I was in VA and before I could get comfortable on a picnic table, a LEO drove up and advised me to keep moving on. But I’m tired, I just need a few hours of rest, I explained (it was a rest area after all). Yeah well this ain’t the place, go get yourself a motel room or a campsite somewhere was the reply. I was the only person in the whole rest area, figured it wouldn’t be a problem, but I figured wrong.:dunno
  9. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a motorhome camper, I've overnighted various times in various locations. The rules in Cali (ymmv) are that you can rest 8 hours in every 24 hours. I would think that bikers would be tolerated considering the danger of riding while tired. Check the laws in those states. I'd still get out of sight. Thermarest for the win.

10. Gnarcosis

Gnarcosis The Chronicles of Gnar-nia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. I was going to say that I’m on the road almost year round, and can’t even think of the last time I’ve seen LE at a rest stop, but then I read the comment below yours... haha so I guess, as with most thing, YMMV

11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    FL posts a Hwy Patrol officer in each rest area after dark.
    Gnarcosis likes this.
  12. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every one I've stopped in has truck parking for drivers to sleep either day or night. There are signs on 95 in Florida saying how many empty parking spaces for trucks there are. I've stayed but was in a van and the lot was not full. I slept next to a truck.
  13. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about alternatives to rest areas? I prefer 1) rural, 2) not obvious but 3) visible.

I've slept in a town fairgrounds that's like a county fairground in most of the country. The gate's open for people to walk or jog around the track. I was maybe 50 yards from a minor state highway and wouldn't be noticed unless someone looked to the side. I was also in plain sight of the road if someone came to hassle me.

How about an Audubon center parking lot? The place was clearly closed and didn't look like it had traffic from youth at night. IIRC, it was also 3 or 4 AM which is no guarantee, but not prime time.

I can't actually tell you where, but get off the freeway, make a few turns, and something might show up.
    nk14zp likes this.
  14. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

I stopped and slept on the picnic table before.

Got hassled by a guard in Texas... told him to bug off, that I have the right to rest for a few hours just like everyone else ... he left me alone after that

Most times I did it no hassle at all.

Stand up for your rights ... you have as much right to rest and sleep for a few hours as the big trucks and cars do

Note ... I use it as a "rest" stop I stayed only for about 4-5 hours just enough rest to get going again safely ... just like they are designed for. I have done it in the middle of day and the middle of the night .

Scott
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have rolled my bag out on picnic tables and slept in many places. When I have asked the local police where I could spend the night, a couple times they said to just sleep in the rest area.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    I have slept in dozens of rest areas all over the country. In a car / van / RV, on the ground next to the bike, on the ground away from the bike, etc. Never had any problems.

As an important note though, I have pulled into quite a few and decided not to sleep there because it didn't feel safe.
  17. Grumpy Mike

Grumpy Mike An Ogre That Rides...

Oddometer:
    Because it was in VA. They have some crazy views in that state.
  18. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed, I was born/raised there...don't even get me started on how they treat a 20mph-over-the-limit speeding ticket:bluduh
    Oilleaker likes this.
  19. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another option is to sleep in a cemetery, in the back away from the graves.

Only the ghosts to bother you there.
  20. 9point

9point Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've often thought a country church would be a possibility. Pitch a tent on the back of the lot or yard after dark and leave at daylight
    eakins and No Rush like this.