Sleeping in a rest area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by bodine003, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you meant to sleep for 15 minutes but you woke up three hours later it sounds like you really needed the sleep. Better a dead battery than what else might have happened if you had not stopped.

I've awakened suddenly as the vehicle I was driving was starting to go off the road. Now, I stop before I reach that level of fatigue.
    juno and Y-NOT like this.
  2. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed...I meant to stop back in Kansas City but the hotel reservations were messed up so I just kept driving until I got east of St. Louis.....stupid on my part.
  3. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I hope you understand I did not mean to imply you had been stupid.

I reserve that accusation for MYSELF, and I know I have been stupid too many times to even count.

I've seen the "black dog" a few times. I hope I never see that dog again.

For those who don't know about the black dog, it's not a real dog. It is a hallucination which is brought on by extreme fatigue. You think you see a dog, and maybe you even slam on the brakes so you do not hit the dog. But the dog was never there.

Long-haul truckers speak about the black dog, and some of them have probably seen it multiple times.
    singhv likes this.
  4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
  5. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did this many times. Works great.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I’ve done the rest area thing a lot of times... I prefer pulling into a major truck stop. Go into the truckers lounge where they have a TV room that is dark and usually almost empty. I will sleep on the floor in the back of the room with ear plugs in, helmet on. Get my 20-60 or even 90 minute nap. Can even take a shower if needed to wake up and roll out. If I recall I’ve only once hit a truck stop that the tv room was full and not conducive to a nap.
    This is great for iron butting. Not so great for moto camping. But when you gotta sleep, you gotta sleep.
  7. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always see an imaginary deer. Maybe it is because that is what I am looking for when I drive at night. In Canada once, trying hard to reach Hyder, AK, I kept seeing imaginary bears. After the imaginary deer, the thing that tells me "Son, you are about to leave this planet" is auditory exclusion. When I notice small lapses of time when the sounds of traveling go totally quiet, I am asleep. That is what was happening to me in Wisconsin. The Lowes shed was just an idea to escape pummeling rain and catch some zzz's.

ETA: In the Wisconsin picnic table nap, I was still in the Aerostich with my helmet on. The helmet makes a good pillow for a concrete picnic tabletop, and I figured I was better dressed for combat if it was a ne'er-do-well bi-pod or large fur-bearing forest creature who awakened me rather than a Trooper. I also thought it would make me look like a more intimidating (crazy?) target.
    juno likes this.
  8. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Husky...I was calling myself, stupid. And it was. Mainly I was being cheap and not wanting to spring for a hotel room that the booking app I was using had changed the date on and I was already on the hook for a week later...grrrr! So I thought I would just drive all night, with a quick rest stop along the way, and be home in the morning. LOL. Oh well, live and learn. Live and learn.
  9. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    down here (FL) most construction sites have “no trespassing / felony” signs, IDK if they’re enforced buy I probably wouldn’t risk it, too many other options.
  10. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Under the table when it is raining.
    beemerphile likes this.
  11. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Rest areas attract strange people, LEO’s have told me they do not allow their family to visit them for safety reasons.
    For intermediate duration breaks I’d suggest churches or - not sure what to call them - places where utility companies have equipment located. Can always check the tent space thread here or even the couch surfing web site.
    In the NC and VA mtns I always stealth camp.
    No Rush likes this.
  12. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    You've never met the llama named drama ? :dunno
  13. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    it's a drama mama in our family....
  14. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    It's a matter of avoiding something that could come back to him.

If the driver is telling the truth, and he crashes 30 miles away...it's out of his hair. Not his problem.

If the driver is lying and actually is waiting for a drug shipment, or is looking for a woman to kidnap or otherwise molest...and it's in the logs that he did a round at the rest area and did NOT order the "person of interest" to move on...it's his job.

This is a side effect of our modern world, where nobody can trust or believe anyone.
  15. rokytnji

Oddometer:
    If requires a lot of assumptions. Being a approachable gorilla at a rest area it seems.

Cops are just glad I don't have a six pack on the top of the table and empty bottles scattered.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most all I've been in across the entire USA DO HAVE people sleeping in them, however with tents and RV's they dont likeyou there but trucks and asleep on your car seat floats OK? On a MC not gonna be allowed.
  17. rokytnji

Oddometer:
    I'll stay out of Kentucky then.

Cops are not asshats here.

New Mexico
    • There is a 24-hour stay limit. Overnight parking permitted. No camping or sleeping outside of vehicle.

Sleeping under table is not considered ca
    New Mexico
    • There is a 24-hour stay limit. Overnight parking permitted. No camping or sleeping outside of vehicle.
    mping in Texas with any cops I have met in my years of motorcycle riding,. Or sleeping on top of a table.
    New Mexico
    In case you were wondering

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking-rules/

Also. I do a lot of road side camping here

They have no problem with motorcycle riders in rest areas sleeping outside either.
  18. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some great stories here, please keep em coming.

I have slept in many rest areas, albeit in my van. But one overnight in MN put an end to that. I awoke early and had to use the facilities, it was probably 5AM, and most of the truckers had left already. I walked to the restrooms and there was a group of people just hanging out in front of the doors. Not really doing anything wrong, but it just seemed weird to hang out in front of the restrooms. I just had a horrible feeling they were up to no good. It might have been because I was all alone, miles from any help, but I was happy to get out of there, with my wallet and my life.

I have encountered motorcyclists sleeping next to their bikes in rest areas a couple of times. I always thought they must be tough to do that, and someone would be nuts to mess with them.

One time while traveling through Tennessee, I decided I was too tired to carry on, and stopped in a rest area. Well, it seemed everyone else had had the same thought. There were vehicles from one end to the other all the way back to the shoulder of the freeway.

Never been bothered by the authorities any of those times. Though now, I look for a Walmart or similar. On a bike it is much harder to find a place though.
  19. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'd be comfortable sleeping at a rest stop, especially at night and especially if I were riding my motorcycle. Most interstates highways have rest stops that cater to truckers that are equipped with showers, restrooms, eateries and a lounge so that's were I'd lay my head if I was to tired to ride any further. When I travel long distances I already know exactly how many miles/hours I plan to drive as well as where I plan to spend the night. One of the many benefits of being retired military is I can stay on any military installation nationwide so when I travel I plan my stops so I can stay on base.
  20. Pleiku68

Pleiku68 n00b

Oddometer:
    These days sleeping at a rest stop on a bike may be kind of iffy, (along the interstates) You'll probably have to sleep away from the bike and that alone would make me nervous. Be prepared to be booted by the Hwy Patrol. Some rest areas in rural (non interstate) may be a possibility. Kinda tough in much of the eastern US. Maybe at the fringe of a truck stop or as others have noted behind a rural church, cemetery, Dollar General, those stores are all over the place in rural areas, if you pull in late enough. Some truck Stops have a lounge area where you may be able to grab a few zzz's. I'm going to be riding from OH to AZ later this spring, I'll have to explore some of my own suggestions.