Sliding down the road

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by JHMZ71, Oct 24, 2019.

1. JHMZ71

JHMZ71 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They say not if but when...well 3 weeks ago. Rear end slid out from under me on gravel road and pannier caught the ground and threw me off. Thank goodness I wear gear all the time, not a scratch on myself but a sprained right knee. The bike did a 180 back the other way and ended up on its side. Damage was broken front brake lever, badly scratched crash bar (right side)(HEED crash bar from Poland did great job - new one sitting in my office waiting to be installed), right side pannier damaged - mostly cosmetic (Acmemoto2 warranty replaced for free under the 1 year warranty even due to wreck). So, knee healing and bike will be back to perfect shape. IMG_20191006_095750.jpg IMG_20191006_103310.jpg IMG_20191006_103315.jpg IMG_20191006_103908.jpg
  2. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gear held up well, and did its job.
    Unca Fud and JHMZ71 like this.
  3. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're OK. For the benefit of others, would you mind telling us what happened? Were you giving throttle, braking?
    JHMZ71 likes this.
  4. JHMZ71

JHMZ71 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the GPS (duh) and going too fast anyway when I looked up to see the corner and hit the back brake. Locked it up and was using the front brake as much as possible trying not to lock it and have it slide out. Road was hard pack with small chat gravel on it. Slick as crap.. Bike started sliding and tilting over when the pannier bag caught the ground and flipped the bike 180 degrees back the other way and sent me flying on my back. I was a little stunned and looked over to see the bike on its side up on the pannier. Took a couple minutes to get myself up and moving. Lifted the bike up onto the center stand, took pictures, got back on and started the motor and went on down the road for another 2 hours of riding.
    Armyguy likes this.