Slight undercut hit

Discussion in 'Trials' started by heffergm, May 15, 2018.

1. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So provided I have even a tiny kicker or if the hit is laid back a bit, I can get up rollups that are probably ten ish feet without much trouble (larger is hit or miss as my separated shoulder will attest to).

However there's this one stupid hit that was in our advanced class last year that I've been trying to get up without a ton of success. It's probably 3+ or so feet high and absolutely vertical, if not a hair undercut. If I ride it like a roll-up and get my timing and body perfect, I can get up it maybe 40 percent of the time (Gary goes up it like it's a bit of trail debris). But it's pretty easy to get wrong, and just about everyone that rode advanced last year was dropping points on it if not just 5'ing.

There's a kicker like 5 feet in front of it, but it's pretty small and theres not much runup, so I haven't worked up to trying to splat it yet. But let's say that's not in the cards.... Do I just work on trying to zap it instead, or keep treating it like a roll-up (which feels pretty weird... Especially if you stuff the front end instead of kissing the face on the way up).

For reference it looks sort of like this bit on the right, but the approach is flat. https://goo.gl/images/twddXZ
  2. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JoeyMac420 had a video I just watched on it. No idea if it is helpful or not, he says you should bounce the suspension and lift the front tire to splat it.

Start at 2:39
    Dagnabit the forum won't let me post a timestamped link like
    Code:
    https://youtu.be/_f5F9Ydaheo?t=2m39s
  3. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    To do a static splatter is no easy task... You basically have to lift the bike into a wheelie the pop the clutch under a lot of throttle as you're jumping. If you're not fully committed or you get it plain wrong it kinda sucks. Especially since I'd have to get the rear wheel like 3 feet up the face to clear the pan. Which is all to say, I'm not that good ;)
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    2nd gear using your current attempts will get it done. Of course the correct way would be a zap. My timing currently on zaps suck, so back in training with my kid as he makes zaps look as easy as going over a curb. Momentum is always king in the lack of perfect form. I use to always ride in second gear, so always had plenty of zip at the ready. Now I am trying to get back in form. So using first is really foreign in my mind. From `03 to 2015 I only rode a few trials a year with no practice.
    So even a less than perfect zap will get you over using second. Good luck.
  5. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stupid tangential note: I think I've so trained myself to cover the front brake that it's interfering with my getting > 1/2 throttle when I want it, especially on larger hits. I need to practice dropping my index finger back onto the throttle... it feels weird!
    lineaway likes this.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you said that. Last year after I decided to ride the Nationals we had an easy trials that I did that exact thing in the section. I approached the same obstacle you described, but at an angle. I had just gotten back on a Beta (2010) and as I approached the rock I confused myself on finger placement. Needing the front brake was the last thing in the world. So I screwed it up the first attempt. I just laughed at my indecision of my index finger. Hope you figure it out.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you know Tim Thorpe, ask him about Zaps. He's really good at demonstrating them and telling you what you are doing wrong. When you feel like your front wheel hits so low that it almost tucks, you get a huge rear lift! He had me practice them on a raised small diameter (6 inches) log maybe 2.5 ft off the ground- nice and easy on the bike. I did one or two really good ones by complete mistake.....
    jonnyc21, Norman Foley and heffergm like this.
  8. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really wish that zone between almost tucking and too high was more than an inch or two...
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Put a target on it with a spot of paint and practice just hitting that with your front wheel, but without attemping to go up it. Once you can't get that wrong, start putting it together. Sounds easy don't it. :D
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really it's not so much the front wheel placement for me as it is the timing. I can pop the clutch with the best of them but I seem to jump at the wrong time (or not at all... fail!)
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are trying to look like the good guys. Slow and deliberate. Faster = less time to fail. Gradually slow it down. Even watch the pro riders, the ones struggling get by with more speed. I assume you record yourself at home or in practice. Film is humbling. Luckily for me I score well during events. It is always the dumb fives that hurt.
    Brewtus, laser17, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  12. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't argue that I'm not slow...
  13. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The good news is that you will feel it when you get it right - so you have a good feedback loop. After that, you just have to find the way to Carnegie Hall. Also - don't discount the wheel placement sensitivity- the bike suspension will do a lot of the work provided the wheel is low enough and you have some good momentum. Every class I've ever watched, the feedback is to go even lower with the front. The School that Raga gave at Jack cycles, was big on that correction. He would demonstrate static zaps and his front wheel was right at the tuck inflection point. It was truly ridiculous watching him demonstrate on whatever bike was closest. No warmup to get a feel or anything. Usually no helmet either - yikes.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I would just take a five...
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Slower's better, Jetboat. Slower's better...
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I've re-read the question several times and most of the responses and not sure about this.

To the OP;
    Are you asking what technique to use to get up the large rock or how to do either one? Serious question and then perhaps we can get some better answers from the collective.

With all respect, a pic of the rock in question from a perspective that shows the approach would really help, as without that, it seems like a question about how to get a bike up a 3+' vertical. Am I missing something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time.......
    Norman Foley likes this.
  17. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    I suck at low-hit zaps. They scare me.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  18. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the picture posted by the OP it would seem the rock in the centre was the 3ft one ??? I think you would hit it around the red or blue mark ?
    adv rock.JPG
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he meant the one on the right, but this pic is not the actual section.
  20. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it is just me but it seems to me that 3+ ft vertical like that would be well beyond a roll up? wouldn't a rule of thump be that knee high is about the limit for a roll up?

If they were using a rock like that for a training session I would have thought it would be for Splatter or Zap training?