Slimming down a Tiger

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by layzrider, Apr 3, 2019.

1. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    A new project for me. Something for this retiree to do. I bought a 1997 Triumph Tiger with 20 K on it. I intend to convert it into a scrambler but save most of the mounting points for the side panniers, stock gas tank and stock mufflers. I don't know that I would ever put them on for a trip, but a future owner might. I just do day trips. I have wanted a big motor for a long time. A new 790 KTM or 700 T7 would be great, but this is a lot less money and a chance to get creative and do some problem solving. With 90 hp, a slimmed down Tiger should be a good ride.
    20190313_163713.jpg 20190314_224939.jpg 20190320_052431.jpg 20190322_115307.jpg 20190322_115429_001.jpg
    Starting with making a mold for a smaller tank and trimming down the seat.
  2. oldmopars

oldmopars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it, its off to a great start. I like how you are matching the flow lines of the seat and tank together, should look good when its done.
  3. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the tank/seat combo. Should scrub up ok.
  4. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Had me a 1999....nice electric smooth feel motor.
    Also had a custom over stuffed seat...so cush...great for long hauls..fond trip in mind to Jellystone..and over Limhi pass.
    Good bones. Solid frame / bike.
    I got rid of the stock steel bars...went to some KTM alumi with Orey sp? grips...big improvement.
    But felt top heavy at low speed...nix of wind screen will help,,,but bucking the wind on long hauls a trade off...but for a day tripper......

Like that you got rid of the bucket seat..I like to move around on a seat,,,for and aft too.
    I'd own another Tiger...
  5. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    20190322_115017_001.jpg Thanks for the encouragement. I measured the tank capacity by displacing water in a bin I marked. So far, it is around 4-1/2 gallons. Enough for a day ride.
    20190322_114540.jpg The underside.
    JagLite likes this.
  6. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    So...what material ya going for, for the tank ?

I remember good gas mileage with my Tiger.
  7. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't get the pictures to enlarge, so will ask you instead. What material are you using to mock up the tank?
  8. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    My SWAG on tank mock up matl...1 1/2 inch ridged insulation sheets glued together.
  9. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Nice looking start to your project the tank / seat set up looks well, ditto on the bar swap suggested above. What are you doing for a headlight/ handlebar fairing. ?
    I am dabbling with a 96 trophy 900 project right now and it kind of what you are doing only i am coming at it from the other direction fat tourer to a scrambler fighter with some touring capability. They are great engine and a sound that you can never get bored of hearing.
    Nice project looking forward to watching it develop. :thumb
  10. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are you shaving/cutting/trimming that with?! When I've tried, it chunks out and cuts horribly.
  11. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    20190405_072311.jpg The mold material is 1" solid foam insulation, glued together with 3m contact adhesive. I built it up, layer by layer. I made the major cuts with a hack saw. Further cuts with a bread knife, then a disc sander with course paper and finally hand sanding with course paper. Foam flying all over the garage.
    20190405_072311.jpg

I am unsure what the front headlight setup will be. Probably some kind of backing plate made out of aluminum attached to the fork clamps, with an outer covering of fiberglass. I am thinking of a couple of small LED lights stacked below the speedo. I want to integrate the lights and the speedo with the outer covering.

The bike seems to have a lot of angles and straight lines. That is the theme so far. The tank shape sort of copies the Champion flat track design of the 70's. I used to race one back then in the Novice pro class, so the shape has always been special for me.

I will get the seat back from the upholsterer in two weeks. I will then shape the tank and rear fender around the final shape of the seat. He is adding a thin layer of foam to smooth out the roughness resulting from my cutting it down.
  12. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Layzrider: Thanks.
  13. Bigeyedfish

Bigeyedfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the tank and seat lines. I'm interested to see the process of making the tank. I'll definitely follow this one to the end.
  14. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    The tank will be made out of layered fiberglass and West epoxy. The epoxy resists the ethanal (how do you spell it?) fuel.
    This will be my third tank. I learned a lot on the first two. The sad tale resides in my previous thread " Honda Hawk to an xl650...

I do have some nice "dirt bike" aluminum bars to use.

After doing a cardboard mock up for the headlight, it looks like I will go with a Baja designs setup, like I did on the Honda Hawk. I really can not equal their design. I will add extensions on either side like before.

I decided I did not like the shape of the tank. It looked like it was sitting on the frame on a tilt. I wanted it to look like it fit the bike a little better. So I made the top horizontal and the bottom I made an angle that reflects the engine. I like this better.
    20190406_100944.jpg 20190406_101010_001.jpg I can't go much further until I get the seat back.
    JagLite, DiggerD and JimVonBaden like this.
  15. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could always buy one of these, cut it in half and add a piece or two to make it larger. It'd probably be cheaper and a lot less work than making one from scratch but you might enjoy that.

eBay_Tank.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9L-Motorcy...m2ab86d705d:g:M5AAAOSwb8VbwGIm&frcectupt=true
  16. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Well good, you got some experience with fiberglass tank building with the new corn gas.

The corn gas has been screwing up non steel tanks for some time now...hope you have a handle on it.

Another route that I have been thinking about for custom tank building is aluminum sheet, folded as much as possible, welded, then make a fiberglass cover to hide the rough build..
    JagLite likes this.
  17. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what I plan for my project. :thumb

The fiberglass tank I made for my street tracker has worked out perfectly (System Three epoxy, then coated internally with Caswell tank sealer epoxy) but I hate working with fiberglass and want to try a cut and folded aluminum tank. Then a thin shell for shape covering it. Preferably with one of the non-glass fabrics.

FG is great because you make just about any shape you want though. :nod
  18. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Hey Jag,,,got a bone to throw to ya on a tank cover.
    My Ducati ST4S had a lot of farkels...carbon fiber this and that, full set of luggage ya da, ya da...
    The tank bag was mounted on a full tank cover made of black, sewn material, that really looked nice.
    So, why not do the same? Check out the tank bra on my ZX7R I un-buried today.
    A tank cover made out of real leather would be nice.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    P4070019.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  20. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean like this?

IT425Ga.jpg
    JagLite and Pezz_gs like this.