Slimming down a Tiger

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by layzrider, Apr 3, 2019.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking really cool! I am looking forward to the finish work! :deal
  2. h0lger

h0lger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To get the epoxy and any metal bond better you can drill holes into the metal. A punch of 6 or 8mm holes so the epoxy could fill them in.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    I am getting the three into one exhaust system set up for the welder. I need to bring the left pipe closer in, to get the spacing more even between the pipes, even though the radiator covers the top half of the pipes and the skid plate will block most of the view of the pipes, leaving only about 3 inches of the pipes exposed. I lowered the upward angle of the exhaust pipe and Muffler to be more inline with the rest of the frame . Parallel lines looks better . 20191012_170115.jpg 20191012_170144_001.jpg
    Fishnbiker, JagLite and pennswoodsed like this.
  4. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    I used an empty paper towel roll 2 to get the shape for the critical connection. It took several tries to get one close enough 20191013_072850.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  5. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Got some old photos to share from myTiger.
    I started a low profile wind screen, but never finished it.
    Another bike came along, KTM SuperDuke.
    I did talk to the person I sold the Tiger too a few weeks ago, and he finished the wind screen and is using it.
    He said it turned out nice.
    071.JPG 072.JPG 073.JPG 074.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  6. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    075.JPG 076.JPG 077.JPG 081.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  7. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    082.JPG 083.JPG 084.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  8. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Worm drive hose clamps might be more user friendly than the pop rivets on the exhaust pipes...just sayin from the peanut gallery.

:hide
  9. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    Yes the hose clamps turned out to be better than pop rivets or screws. Meanwhile, I took the carburetors off to clean them. Good thing I did here's some residue from what was gas in each carb. Also when taking one apart the piece in the photo fell out. It looks like an insert in the front of the carburetor. I've never seen one out before. I don't know why one would be in the carburetor just floating around. I guess it is a mystery that I will never solve. 20191016_111206.jpg 20191016_111032_001.jpg next I need to modify the airbox so the air cleaner can be serviced. Never seen such a poor design. You practically have to take off the carbs to get at the air cleaner.
  10. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Sometimes, if you are fighting to service your bike, you are doing it wrong....just sayin.....
    Carb parts, shake. rattle , roll...and wear.
    I bought my first KTM 300 dirt bike from a guy who rode the heck out of it, then I did the same.
    I sold it to a friend who freshen it up a tad.
    The carb float bowl pivot pin hole in the carb body was worn into a slot configuration from so much use.
    His fix was to braze a offset knob on the pin to fill the slot worn in the carb body.

Ya never know what you will find on a used bike.
  11. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    The rear shock was a total loss. Not rebuildable mechanic friend told me. So I had an old XR Honda shock and surprisingly it fit I just put the Triumph spring on it. Then I put a shorter line to it and relocated it so it wasn't so prominent on the side of the motor. 20191021_193927.jpg the shock did need rebuilding. So $110 later it's all good with new seals and new gas and new oil
    flinders_72 and JagLite like this.
  12. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    There is a guy (Sasquatch) that can rebuild the stock shock. He did mine a number of years ago. Too late apparently since you've already replaced it, but anyway:

http://www.adventurepowersports.us

Your route was likely cheaper.
  13. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    JagLite and Scrivens like this.
  14. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Looks like a swap out to a 21 inch front rim from a 19 inch, Fishn.
    Good Mod.
    Funny. That was one of the reasons I sold my Tiger.
    We were on a rough rocked logging road and I was following my bud on his 990 KTM Adventure.
    He just motored away from me, and that usually does not happen.
    I thought it was because of the 19 front wheel was not cutting into the rock, but floating and moving around.
    That is when I knew I wanted a KTM ADV.
  15. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    Love the 21 inch front wheel. I'm hoping that 19 will be okay for what I'm doing. Sea. I see fishin biker solved the air cleaner problem. 20191102_085500.jpg I got some wider pegs welding on and up and a better kickstand
    JagLite and Fishnbiker like this.
  16. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Took my center stand off because it kept dragging in the corners.

You know you can raise / lower the rear of the bike by rotating the rear axle eccentric cam chain tensioner 180 degrees?
    Liked that chain adjuster for keeping the rear wheel straight.
  17. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    I have 2 sets of rims, the front 21 & rear 17 on offroad tires, with stock 19 -17s with road rubber. After cutting the sprocket cover away from the oil filler/reservoir, I can also change from a 17T to a 19T front sprocket for different gearing. Complete sprocket change in kess than 15 minutes. Add on the wheel changes, a complete changeover in under an hour. The go to for everyday life is the offroad set up. Longer rides on pavement for the other manifestation.

The air filter is adapted from a K&N unit fitting a Porsche 911. Being a compulsive tinkerer, this was a perfect winter project. #130 main jets was the only added alteration until I went to the newer Mikuni carbs as fitted to the 1998 model, using #122.5 jets. Nice kick in the pants upper end power now. Able to remove, clean, reinstall the filter without disturbing anything else.

Going back & forth on the tires meant some sidestand mods too. I now use a 1" thick block of Lexan under the enlarged footpad of the sidestand when using the 21" wheel..
    JagLite and DiggerD like this.
  18. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Another easy mod to increase road range. Drilling a 1/4" hole in the filler neck allows about 2.5L extra fuel into the tank. Not reccomended unless using immediately, due to heat expansion when sitting in the sun ...
    [​IMG]
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    I had that annoying issue with the Triumph center stand too. Could not believe how easy it was to drag in corners, even after raising the bike on the suspension about an inch.
    Not that it matters since you don't have the Tiger at this point, but for anyone else with the center stand cornering issue, the SW-Motech center stand retracts to a significantly higher point and is far more resistant to dragging. It's still available too.
    https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-centerstand-triumph-tiger-900-92-98
    dazco and DiggerD like this.
  20. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    20191107_195251.jpg I am hoping the tiger turns out to be as good a gravel Runner as my be 20191107_195251.jpg ta is on the trails.