Slippery Road?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vinz Klortho, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Riding in to work this afternoon i hit a patch of "something" on the freeway. Fine sand, oil, antifreeze, I dont know what it was but I almost went down, in traffic, at 70mph. You know how a bike feels when the tires fill up with mud...on a muddy road? The tires move in opposite directions? That's how it felt. I got so out of shape cars where getting out of my way. I've only been back on a bike for about five years so the fact that I didn't crash can only be attributed to dumb luck.

What's the best way to deal with a situation like this? Stay on the gas? Coast? I honestly can not remember what i did. I was so spooked I pulled off the highway and got off the bike. My knees where shaking so bady I sat down on the shoulder. Some guy in a Passat pulled over to see if i was ok, I couldn't get my helmet off so i just gave him a thumbs up and a wave.

I really need to sign up for a riding course. Last one I took was in 1986.
  2. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    Good lucky save!
    Diesel can do something like that.
    It does not take much to get out of control in a split second when traction is lost.

Staying on the gas can't hurt, but surprising things happen so quickly at that speed that there is no much to do.
    Do you remember either or not you were lightly braking, engine-braking, accelerating or on a turn?
    mitchxout likes this.
  3. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diesel is slippery, as is anti freeze.....problem is, once you hit that shit, by the time you say "Oh Shit", you are either down or thru it.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d say neutral load the tires as best possible, maximizing what little side traction there is.

I won’t argue with you that it was a lucky save. But I’d also wager some instinctive responses came into play, and good on you for them.
  5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where were you in relation to the lane center? We're you in the oil patch or close the wheel travel area?
    neanderthal and mitchxout like this.
  6. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My backend got loose twice last Saturday on a 275 mile ride of twisties. Tar snakes is all I can come up with, they were present. But I've ridden on them before. It was really weird. I stopped and checked tire pressure it was dead on. Almost new pr4.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find my (age related slow) reaction time my best friend in this type of situation. That way the bike has time to sort itself out before I do something to compound the problem. ;)
    daveinva, AwDang, PaulTim2000 and 2 others like this.
  8. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    I make it a point to stay out of the center oil stripe.
    fishslapr, neanderthal and lnewqban like this.
  9. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    The bike will right itself as long as you can relax and let it go straight until traction comes back. Panic (freeze up) or attempt a turn or stop and you will eat pavement.
    fishslapr, daveinva, Rockred and 3 others like this.
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    That has almost always been my experience.
  11. Schmokel

Schmokel In desperate need of a nap.

Oddometer:
    Yep, clutch in, off throttle, no brakes, almost let momentum take over.
    SoCalCub likes this.
  12. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes no panic moves balance and relax as soon as possible. and breath
  13. SRG

SRG SRG

Oddometer:
    Your instinctive response/muscle memory/learned reactions are all you got at a moment like that. You are not likely for the incident to last long enough for you to do any conscious thinking. The only thing I could suggest is doing some small/medium dirt bike riding offroad in low traction conditions. You will get used to the bike moving around (often unexpectedly) under you. You might fall once or twice, wear some gear.
    fishslapr, flei and lnewqban like this.
  14. Buzz363

Buzz363 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Similar situation this afternoon. Turning left up a hill on a 2 lane highway. Hit a patch of oil/fuel and the bike almost dumps as I'm leaning in the turn. Planted my left foot and gassed it. It straightened out but was wobbly for a bit. Glad I was geared up despite the heat.
    fishslapr and lnewqban like this.
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I had a total loss of traction a few months ago on a wet road and slight S bend. Zero input is required...any throttle, brake or steering input is only going to make it worse, especially when it hooks back up. Super scary moment, and had to ride the rest of the way home in the rain.
    lnewqban likes this.
  16. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone.