SLR camera on CDR

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JohnStrom, Feb 22, 2017.

1. JohnStrom

JohnStrom JohnnyATAS

Oddometer:
    I am planning to ride the Continental Divide Ride this coming June on A Super Tenere, and am hoping to take along one of my SLRs. Has anyone done this, without wrecking their camera?

I have taken an SLR on many long bike trips but this will be the most challenging as far as road conditions go. In this past I have kept the camera in a Padded Lowepro sling pack in the tail trunk without any problems.

Appreciate any advice, thanks?
  2. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    I did have a lens vibrate apart many years ago but that's been my only issue. I had to borrow a special spanner wrench from a friend and added some loctite pink to the threads when I put it back together.
    I carry my SLR in my tankbag in a padded case. I pack spare gloves or fleece neck gator around it for one extra layer of protection when I can. The newer equipment seems to be a bit more vibration proof than the old film stuff.
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I have taken a micro 4/3rds with a 300mm lens on CDR, the eastern part of the Trans Canada Trail, the Trans America Trail and across Ecuador off road. Aside from the time I dropped it while unloading at the end of the day, the camera appears ambivalent to the road conditions. I used to pack in a tank bag with pick-n-pluck foam, nowadays, I just do as the above poster and pack extra clothes around it in a tail bag.
  4. _serhan_

_serhan_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, partially, but I don't see why it shouldn't work for you. I used a pelican case (smallest I could fit my gear into), and used a givi base plate, and mounted to fuel tank flange. Worked flawlessly. Everything stayed in place in all terrain we traveled, uphill, downhill, rock gardens, hail, rain, water crossings...

I was able to fit a mirrorless camera, Fujifilm XE-1 (18-55mm) and a wide angle lens, plus a few batteries along with it. You might need a higher case depending on the dimensions of your camera. I found the size I have perfect since it still allowed me to stand up on the pegs without any problems in any incline.

It worked great, since I didn't have to dismount the bike to take photos, where it can be quite a hassle to find proper level ground while on trail. Just pulled over take t
    he camera out and shoot.

Here you can see the case on the tank.

Colorado179.jpg

Contents
    IMG_2663.JPG

Mounting bracket:
    IMG_2664.JPG

Of course if you use a tank bag, and the space is occupied, you might choose a different route.

Good luck.

_s_
    DGR and TopoGS like this.
  5. gonefirefighting

gonefirefighting Surrounded by Police

Oddometer:
    a good sized tank bag with a few foam layers does the job just fine. I have over 50k miles on my Canon 1Ds MKIII with a EF 100-400 IS USM
    Uke likes this.
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready for a run to Deadhorse in the summer.

I'll be taking my Fuji XT-1 with a 23mm f1.4 mounted, XF 14mm f2.8, and XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6.

The camera and lenses will be housed in a padded Billingham Small Hadley insert with dividers for each component with velcro closure. The Hadley insert will be inside a Wolfman Rainier Tank bag for added padding and easy access.

Small Hadley.jpg
    _serhan_ likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Fitted inside the Rainier Tank Bag:

Rainier Tank Bag.jpg
  8. gasperX

gasperX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi! nothing new on the camera tank bags or someting like that.... So i have to make it myself. I have GIVI XS308 20lt, i will try to do by myself. Ihave Olympus Om-d E-m1 MII and 2 lenses ( maybe i will buy extre wide angle7-14mm).
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @gasperX - please post your solution here. I also need to make something to protect my small mirrorless camera in my tankbag.
    gasperX likes this.
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could never solely use a big camera on a ride----------I'd have missed 90% of the great shots that I have taken over the years. I guess my eyes are old-----I just can't see the big difference in the pictures taken with a big camera versus a small fit in you shirt pocket waterproof, shock proof, temperature proof camera. I surely guess there is tho.

A big old grizzly walks across the road in front of me in Alaska---------I'll get that picture---------no time to stop-------get a big camera out-------assemble it----------go thru shooting modes----get a tripod out----and get the pic.
    My little, tiny point and shoot is on a lanyard around my neck in my riding jacket upper pocket. It takes me 4 seconds to get a shot while riding.

so ..........you big camera guys-------why not carry both--------you'll rarely miss an impromptu shot that you will miss with a big camera.

Before going to the small camera----------I would destroy 3 big cameras a year--------but I ride in extreme nasty places.

Cannonshot on here--has his little camera on a retractable lanyard--------man he gets the pics.

I love pics---but as always--------being there is better :lol3
  11. gasperX

gasperX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone has a diffrent point of view. I have it i would like to take it with me. I have body with all around lens all the time ready take me not 4 but 8 secont to take it out just because it is in my top case.Thats why i would like to have one tank bag!Camera ist wartherproo, dustproof..............And you don´t need all the time tripod....
    I know it´s easy to have one phone or smalll camera in your pocket but and you don´t need extra space..... but i have it so I´m searching for solutinos.
    I love to take pictures on my trips with my olympus.
    So i will try to make something by myself, when that corona crap is over.
    Uke likes this.
  12. Cerberus44233

Cerberus44233 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great idea. I can find the tank mounting flange for my Versys but no one sells a base plate like the one in you pic. Mind telling us where you got it? Thank you.