Slumping (sleeping in a car)

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by local1, Oct 11, 2019.

1. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very unlike glamping or whatever the fuck it's called when you pay money to have someone put up a tent for you. I'm slumping, yes this is when you sleep in a car after driving many miles.
    Anyone go all 4 star like this?
    doc moses likes this.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Tried it.

It's miserable. A motel room is worth better. Even a campsite is better than that. If you want to NOT sleep, catnap, do that in a Pilot parking lot for four hours.

You'll save $50-$100. You'll also wish you were dead, next day.
  3. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I used to drive pickups, I always had a shell on the back and a bed built in them. I went to Suburbans, they work well for sleeping in the back. I needed another vehicle, i took a tape measure, if I couldnt sleep in the back, it was a deal breaker. A 4runner works fine. I made a dog shelf in the back 3 ft of it, so the dog and some junk can be on the shelf and I can still stretch out underneath it. Makes great gear storage other times and the dog still has room.

I lived mostly off my bike and out of the back of my pickup, and in a tipi for about 5 or 6 years. That was a long time ago. i dont make a habit of sleeping in my vehicles much any more, but its still required to be able to comfortably. Ive only had to do it once recently on a long road trip and couldnt find a room.
    NorthIdaho800gsa and Butters like this.
  4. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done it before. Super comfortable with the right setup. Mind you I have a Yukon so I'm able to lay all the seats down with my setup. I wouldn't do this with anything less than a large truck or SUV. I value my comfort too much.
    Hannda likes this.
  5. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    we car camp in this, it's plenty long and quite comfortable.

P1010305.JPG
  6. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda Element...

Rear seats flip up sideways leaving a large, flat floor, like a pick-up bed. Used that vehicle for years when wife and I were rock climbing. 4wd, easy to get in and out, great driving. Really the perfect vehicle.
    doc moses, North ride, Hannda and 2 others like this.
  7. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it in quite some time, but I used to do it all the time. Depending the car, you have a perfectly flat, level surface. Just crack a windshield so you don't wake up wet from your own breath!

In college, I had an S-10 blazer and it was a great camping vehicle. Piece of shit, but great camping vehicle. Drove it across the country 6x and spent many nights sleeping in the back. You definitely have to find the right spot to sleep though. I was never really comfortable doing it unless I was a ways from civilization, usually off some forest service road.
    Moto Jimmy and local1 like this.
  8. mr_ed

mr_ed Toolbag

Oddometer:
    BIG-E and Bultaco206 like this.
  9. kingbee

kingbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife and I have been traveling that way for years. When we’re going from A to B we refuse to spend $ on a motel for a few hours of shuteye. We sleep at rest areas, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, wherever. We’ve done it in a Camry, a Rav, an Astro van, and just last spring did a three week trip out west in a Suburban. Slept in the car 8 days out of 21, tented and stayed with friends the rest. We pack the car so the seats can still recline, and sleep that way. We’re not exactly young anymore but we sleep just fine.
    We cook most meals at rest stops with a camping stove, and every couple days we spring for a shower at a travel center. Costs about $15 and we can shower together. Makes it a high point of the trip.
    We love to travel by car and we especially like doing it on the cheap.
    Full disclosure- we bought a older Roadtrek at the beginning of summer, so while our travel methods won’t change, our comfort and convenience will.
    Cheers,
    Dave
    Buzztail, krautman, docm26 and 5 others like this.
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My favorite rain setup for camping is an air matress in the back of my 4Runner with a tarp off the open hatch. I liked being dry and being able to stand under the open hatch and tarp. There is a convenient light above me, 12v plug beside me and a good sound system.
  11. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Honda CRV and do that when it's too cold for a tent. I use an inflatable mattress (Exped syn mat) and it's VERY comfortable. I had to sleep in the car last week at a campsite when the temperature dropped down to 17 degrees. Glad I skipped the tent. Even then I had to scrap ice off the inside due to the condensation.
    local1 likes this.
  12. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my mid size ext cab Chevy Colorado, 4wd, easy to park and fits garage & backroads better. I got a piece of heavy 4" foam that raises me enough I can stretch my legs out with seat reclined, ebay M18 tool battery adapter for a 12v fan and a skeeter net over a cracked window or blanket as temps dictate. I'd rather take my chances on a backroad for a catnap when drowsy, the shell is for camping.

These are supposed to be 5000 btu, need a glare shield. :hmmmmm

https://www.ucogear.com/candlelier-lantern-aluminum-c--a--std
    local1 and DirtyOldMan like this.
  13. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Can you sit up without hitting your head? That's a requirement for me.
  14. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve slept with one of these on my pickup many times. Works surprisingly well. Especially when you’re 6’ tall and you have a 5’6” bed. In a pinch on longer work trips where you want to be stealth-ish laying at an angle works, too.

[​IMG]
  15. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup all the time works good.
    IMG_3176.JPG
    MATTY, krautman, katbeanz and 2 others like this.
  16. GSA GIRL

GSA GIRL Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 Standard Cab Long Bed. You can't get an Extra Cab long bed. I had to special order it and wait 2 months for delivery. Dealers look at you like your crazy. Your supposed to want seating for 8 and leather seats with a 4 foot bed. I have an ARE MX high-rise Camper Shell. The truck and the shell have everything that you could order. I'm in the process of building out the back, now that I'm retired. There will be a 6.5' x 30" sleeper bunk with underneath storage. I have a Yeti 105 cooler that doubles as a Table. I also have a Thetford 550P Porta Potty that's fully self contained for when nature calls. The Long Bed also gives me a 34 gallon fuel tank instead of a 26 gallon. I have a Rhino Rack Batwing 270 Degree Awning with all of the accessories. I pull an Aluma 7712HBF trailer with 2 bikes and a 61"x30"x20" storage box on the bed for extras. I get 23mpg Hwy and 14.6mpg with the trailer. Rest areas, truck stops, wide spots and Campgrounds will all sleep just fine. If there is a Rain Delay at the race track just make lunch and take a nap. Pictures to follow when I'm done.
    MATTY, mike, FAW3 and 7 others like this.
  17. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    It's a pretty low slung car towards the rear, way more roomy up front. Not enough room for me to sit up, but Jeanne could sit up a little hunched over.

It's not as claustrophia-inducing as we thought it might be (we checked that out before we bought it as car camping was one of it's main missions :D )
    We used a futon mattress which was pretty thick, we're going to pick up a thinner pad, I was surprised how many SUV-specific sleeping pads are out there - a huge selection.

On our honeymoon we drove up to the Canadian Rockies, and one afternoon found we were in BFE (NE WA state) with no place to stay, so we camped in the back of my truck under the tonneau cover....pretty damn deluxe :lol3
    katbeanz, Hannda and North ride like this.
  18. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the Station Wagons thread...

I plan to build a plywood camp kitchen and sleep platform for the back of my Outback. Just as soon as my 14 current projects are finished! Lol!

The kitchen will slide out and have legs, so it's over the ground and under the open hatch. It'll have room for a water container, small sink, a 1- or 2-burner stove, and dish & food storage.

The platform will be on the passenger side only, so the front passenger seat can be slid all the way forward. The sleeping platform is in two sections to fold out and cover the gap in front of the rear seat. All the dimensions on the diagram are preliminary...

[​IMG]
    MATTY, local1 and simbaboy like this.
  19. DrPayne

DrPayne Not a doctor

Oddometer:
    This is my preferred way to travel! Been doing it as long as I've been doing my own traveling, though I take a much more purist approach. When I sleep in the car, I just... sleep in the car! Front seat, rear hatch, wherever there's room between my stuff, dogs, and/or lucky passengers.

First there was an '87 IROC. Those front seats fit me better than anything since, and the T-tops would come off so I could sleep under the shooting stars over the Grand Canyon.

Then there was the '03 Impala. Greatest car ever built. 37mpg max, huge trunk, and front bench seat. Most of those 342,000 miles included nights at rest stops, gas stations, anywhere I could find to catch a couple quick hours or a full night's rest.

These days it's a '13 Impreza hatchback. My 6'3" frame does not agree with it, ever, but it has its perks. AWD, relatively efficient, can sleep all night with the engine running in sub-zero (F) weather and burn less than a dollar of gas, and there's plenty of room with the rear seats folded down to snuggle with my fur children. The roof box is key, especially with skis!

There's also a '10 Silverado extended cab available, but at 22mpg going 60mph in the summer, it's really not for road trips. Still, that front bench is almost Impala-quality accommodations!
    Whodatschrome, docm26 and ag_streak like this.
  20. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second generation Nissan Xterras are great for camping in the back with rear seat folded down and hatch closed. Can sleep two but one is supremely comfortable. A thick self-inflating mattress is all that is needed. It’s my hunt camp and travel camp vehicle.
    CorreCaminos likes this.