Slumping (sleeping in a car)

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by local1, Oct 11, 2019.

1. cresmond

cresmond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To me, it's a lot more comfortable to sleep in a tent than sleeping in the car.
  2. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
  3. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    DirtyOldMan likes this.
  4. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    My set up When towing small bike over 40 mpg Otherwise 50mpg Accommodates two air mattresses and up to 6’4” Provides heat or air conditioning while cycling on and off at night Remove tent in winter and heats up nice 884DA844-52F0-4CA9-AC53-EC0DC60D9371.png
    DrPayne and jcmcc like this.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I fall asleep on my lunch break in my truck at least once or twice a week in my truck. :D
    Whodatschrome and krautman like this.
  6. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    3CDEA0FE-01E5-4D26-B583-D0911CA62579.png
    ACR, krautman, elcabong and 1 other person like this.
  7. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Driving my VW Westy to work made lunch naps a joy. Then I started walking instead to lose weight.

I like that Prius tent; it's similar to the one that was available for the Aztek. Nifty idea.
    [​IMG]
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sleeping in the bed of my truck is the best. But I have spent many nights sleeping in the driver's seat. A couple of reasons for doing this is, 1-shady area, and I want to be able to get the hell out quickly. 2-cold, and I need to run the engine every once in a while to heat up the cab. 3-Just need some Z's and get back on the road.
    Bultaco206 and katbeanz like this.
  9. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a candle lantern for heat in a tent when I am winter camping. The wax of the candles however are a PITA. Knock the candle and wax spills everywhere. Years ago I had a oil insert. However some shite of a room mate made off with it.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/UCO-Insert-O...001L19VAW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    Can't really find them for sale anymore.

I have been experimenting with the tea candle oil inserts. Works ok. but you need to fuss with the holder.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Hollowick-Di...ocphy=9032732&hvtargid=pla-300346701267&psc=1
    katbeanz likes this.
  10. FolsomTony

FolsomTony Fat Tony

Oddometer:
    I built a platform for my Land Cruiser. I can fit a full size futon mattress. It's comfy, and easy to pack up.
    20191008_123856.jpg
    ACR, marret, sprouty115 and 1 other person like this.
  11. DGarman

DGarman What could go wrong? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The back of my '78 Wagoneer works perfect for me at 6 foot..... I'm a vendor at a few events where I can park it in the booth..... works out great!
    IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    Hannda, ACR, DirtyOldMan and 7 others like this.
  12. Huey Guy

Huey Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bro and I just got back from 5 weeks national park sampler with 8000 miles. Took wife's Toyota Sienna with back seats folded down and middle seats removed. Used thermarests mattresses. One bro often took naps in back while other drove. Had tents for in the parks but sleep in van several nights. A plus was when nephew joined us for a week, we could put half the back seat up and had seating for three. Worked very well for us. My Short bro is only 6'2". Both around 70 years old.
    BIG-E, DirtyOldMan and krautman like this.
  13. ridethere

ridethere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of that canvas bedroll, who makes it, please?
    DGarman likes this.
  14. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There have been good deals on these are you happy with it ?
  15. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That set up is awesome !!!!!! How does the van drive towing the trailer ?
    North ride likes this.
  16. DGarman

DGarman What could go wrong? Supporter

Oddometer:
    DirtyOldMan and ridethere like this.
  17. ridethere

ridethere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DGarman likes this.
  18. ACR

ACR 52,015

Oddometer:
    Used to sleep in cars when I was younger and would curl up in the back seat, or drop the passenger seat down and disregard spinal health. Tried folding backseats down and sleeping half in the trunk, but was never comfortable. Backseat car sleeping - slide seats all the way forward and fill in the "footwells" with other stuff like clothing or gear. Use blankets to level out the sloped rear seat and curl up best you can.

I know you asked about cars. Trucks and SUV's, wagons are so much better for sleeping. Most recently, work has forced me into using my truck as a chateau for 7+ days per month. If you're under 5'10, the crew cab is just enough to stretch out diagonally and if you're any taller the rear seats can be removed to gain close to another foot of space. The nice part about the RAM is the folding floor panels transforming the rear into a platform. I'm looking at removing the rear seats and replacing with a shallow cabinet for stuff which lives in the truck - axes, tackle, tow straps, kettle, hitches, first aid kit, and other hoardings. When the temps drop to -30 and below, I (very carefully) brew morning coffee inside the cab. I could live out of the truck indefinitely, but would need to add a cargo trailer or topper for the bike and gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tjzondrz, kingbee, Bultaco206 and 2 others like this.
  19. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My van is an RV during the winter months and a work van during summers, so it's about compromise. I gave up more headroom than I would have preferred but needed to cover tool boxes. After 5 months of use, I'm good with the design.

[​IMG]
    All of my vans get these Maxxair powered roof vents. Makes a huge difference when trying to sleep on a hot night.
    tjzondrz, ACR and katbeanz like this.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    wife and I showed up a day early for a MOA rally... thinking we could easily find a motel... nothing... we slept (sorta) in the front seats of a GT Mustang... yeah not comfortable...