SLUTs Sink or Swim -- NEDURO does New England

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PackMule, Jul 25, 2006.

1. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Several months ago I had been openly lamenting the lack of adventure riding clinics anywhere near New England, when Zen Slug pointed me to NEDURO's freshly penned roving clinic thread. How convienieeeent! :1drink I hatched a plan to offer Ned assistance in doing the necessary local legwork, both for the greater good, and to ensure that the clinic would be held at a time and place that I would be able to attend... :deal :lol3

You can read how the whole thing came together over HERE

As the clinic drew near, Ned asked how the scouting was going. He had heard that we'd had a lot of rain, and wondered if it would be a problem for the trail ride.

Nah, we had a ton of rain this spring, but it's been pretty dry since. Shouldn't affect us a bit. :patch

Some of the scouting was, uh, interesting, shall we say.
    [​IMG]

More...
  2. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Ned arrived at Casa de` PackMule at noon on Thursday, exactly on schedule despite covering 2000 some-odd miles from Colorado in just 2 1/2 days. His punctuality was made even more impressive by the fact that he made his entrance bearing subs from Quizno's. :dg Mmmm, toasty. :yum

After lunch, we went outside to check out the homemade Moto-Tote on the back of his van. Ghettofabulous, it had somehow managed to support the massive 950 all the way from Colorado. :eek1 :lift I could envision my neighbors scrambling to bring their children inside as the windowless cargo van crusied slowly down the street, fearing their children's photos would end up on milk cartons or the national news -- only to realize the true horror of the situation; PackMule had invited moto-scum into the neighborhood yet again, and the bikes were only getting bigger... :lol3 :freaky

[​IMG]

I had baby duty for the remainder of the day, so Ned and I sat down with the map and I pointed out the clinic sites for him to evaluate. The plan was for him to check out the static sites today, and then we'd scout the available trailride terrain with Airhead, who was coming down on Friday afternoon.

Edited to add: Several weeks prior to the event, we had lost access to our primary drill site -- the landowner of the pit had become pissed at the ATV's tearing the place up, and had it posted by the local police. We had to fall back to Plan B, and now had concerns that even that site might see the po-po kicking us out. When Ned returned from scouting it, I asked him what he thought.

"Well, the terrain isn't perfect -- there's really not the ideal hill that we're looking for (either to steep or too shallow), but we can certainly make it work.

"And I don't think the cops will be giving us any trouble -- when I got there, there were rednecks unloading cooler after cooler of beer, shooting into the berms, and helmetless kids racing around on quads.

And this was at 2PM on a Thursday...
    :eek1 :rofl :1drink

After his recon mission, Ned kindly grabbed us a pizza for dinner, and we spent the evening bench racing and knocking back a few adult beverages. :slurp Ned's got more stories than a Mississippi preacher, but we both ran out of steam pretty early and wanted to save some energy for the days to come. :snore

I spent Friday morning with Mrs. PackMule and PackBaby, picking blueberries at a local farm (a favorite summer pastime). It was PackBaby's first trip, and duly documented for posterity. :baby Mom and Baby would be fleeing the area before the remainder of the scootertrash arrived, so it was important to get a bit of family time in beforehand to keep everyone happy. :rabia

[​IMG]

More...
  3. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good so far...:lurk
  4. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Jeff, Ned, and I planned to make a quick pass through Epping, looping back to meet Daniel (K2ride) and Thierry (Kawasakinov), the crazy Canadians (zey are a verrry frensch), at the Dunkin Donuts around 1400hrs. We'd then scope the trails further afield.

Leaving the house, it didn't take us long to run into a roadblock, evidence of a recent thunderstorm.

[​IMG]

I think Ned was a bit surprised as I pulled a hatchet from my backpack, making short (but sweaty) work out of the obstruction.

The trail crew: (I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay...) :augie

Ned
    [​IMG]

Jeff (Airhead)
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I had left my camera sitting on the seat of my bike while we worked, and it got knocked into the sand when someone moved the bike to clear some brush out of the way. :bash Now, I say "unfortunately", but not for the reason you might expect; I hate this fucking camera (Sony somethingorother). While I'd dearly love to see it go and be replaced with another Canon (which was stolen on vacation a year ago), I've been threatening Mrs. PackMule that I'd "accidently" drop it so as to have an excuse to get rid of it. Of course, now that it had been accidentally dropped into the sand, she'd never believe that Humpty Dumpty wasn't pushed... :bluduh

Fearing her wrath, I frantically tried to pop the lens assembly back into place and hoped that it would survive the rest of the weekend. :deal

We played on the sand track for a bit, then made our way over to the DD, where the Canadians were nowhere to be seen. At about that moment, the skies opened up in heavenly downpour. Ned asked whether we thought it would rain for the rest of the afternoon; Jeff and I agreed that it was just a transient thunderstorm, and we decided it would be a good time to grab a bite to eat while the storm passed.

Pictures from the rest of the afternoon are scarce, as suffice it to say, the rain never stopped. :lol3 While I don't think any one spot got more than 20 or 30 minutes of rain, we happened to travel in such a path that Daffy Duck's cloud pissed on us the whole time. :dog

Despite the awful visibility, we rode some awesome terrain. Jeff did a little more logging (with his head), and he even got down on the ground to inspect some timber on several occasions. :D

Ned gave us both the chance to ride the 950, which is an impressive machine. :thumbup Going from the KLR 250 and back again, though, took a bit of adjustment. :lol3

Having just stopped to swap bikes again, Airhead doomed us by proclaiming that "we couldn't possibly get any wetter than we already are." Of course, we rounded the next bend to ride directly into a literal WALL of WATER. :huh Way to go, Jeff. :stfu

Unaccustomed to such wet conditions, Ned had fun with the water crossings and mud holes. Skillz is skillz, though, and we kept a good pace despite the conditions.

Ned's 950 SuperTanker
    [​IMG]

Airhead didn't have to walk the 640 across this one. Guess he's learned something since the SP Rally. :wink:
    [​IMG]

More...
  5. jmetteer

jmetteer Filler...

Oddometer:
    :lurk Looks nasty so far...

Later,
  6. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:evil

:lurk
  7. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    So far so good.......:ear
  8. PackMule

Oddometer:
    After clearing the trails, we headed over to Applebees where the Canadians had been waiting (and drinking) and waiting (and drinking) for us. I had my doubts that we'd be allowed to enter, soaked to the bone with stinking mudwater, but to my surprise (and delight), the hostess didn't even bat an eye.

They're waiting for you in there <points>

Daniel and Thierry laughed at our appearance, mockingly noting that it had begun to downpour just as they entered the restaurant. :rolleyes

I spent the next two hours laughing hysterically at their stories, especially the one about how Daniel had been repeatedly asked why he was wearing ski boots. You see, he'd just picked up a new helmet and boots at his shipping address in the US, and the boots, well, lets just say that there's a stormtrooper walking around barefoot somewhere.

(I had asked how Daniel had ridden into the country, if he had just picked up a new full face helmet when he got here. This photo explains it (and a lot else)
    [​IMG]

Still wet, and now shivering uncontrollably, we got ready to leave after dinner. Unbelieveably, a woman walked right up to us, and asked us where we'd been skiing. WTF? :rofl

[​IMG]

We split up, with Airhead, K2ride, and Kawasakinikov heading over to FreeTheBeast's house, and Ned and I retiring to Casa de`PackMule for the night.

Tomorrow was going to be a big day! :wings

More (tomorrow)
  9. Airhead

Airhead More human than human

Oddometer:
    The boots were truly unbelievable...:puke1

And how else would you check out the quality of the timber than with your head...?

Hmmm...I rode on Saturday with a local and a guy who raced in Baja, in an unbelievable downpour, with zero visibility...:scratch How exactly did I get myself into this...?
  10. Airhead

Oddometer:

:ksteve
  11. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the rest !

Is that a gator in the pond ?
  12. PackMule

Oddometer:
    I've got to check out for the night, but here are a few teasers to hold you all over til tomorrow: (some pics credit the other SLUTs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Hey Pack-

Did you hear that I drowned my GasGas the other day? On an unmaintained road near the 1-State Dualsport route, that we DIDN'T use for the event. Maybe I'll put it in next year. But near then END of the ride! (There is a bypass for it.)
  14. PackMule

Oddometer:

You must have hit your head harder than we thought -- the scouting ride was on Friday! :fishie

Vince, how'd you manage to drown the GG? Got pics? :D
  15. Airhead

Oddometer:
    What ride...what the hell are you talking about...:confused
  16. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer:
    Was Neduro laughing at those? He shouldn't be he has a pair just like them...

:deal

If the Empire finds out you were stealing things from the stock room, someone is going to be pissed.
  17. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand/style are those boot? I think I'd like to get a pair!

Given the lack of help for a simple question, I did a bunch of Googling, searching and visual inspection of web sites. For anyone interested, the boots are Berik Design Contenders.
  18. Ciampa

Ciampa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rossignol.
  19. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    you sure? The look like Langs to me :D Maybe Nordica
  20. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    :thumb :lurk