SMALL bike camping thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by RAZR, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I regularly stay in hotels bike travelling for work. Not through any criminal intent, but more just interest, I have thought about this. I have noticed a slight increase in the number of times I've been asked for evidence of my room number or staying in the hotel when in my leathers, rather than a business suit, but only slight. A few times I have left this in my room, etc. and explained I'd have to go and check; staff have never looked suspicious when I've done this, so you could always use this as your escape method if confronted.

NB: I would never condone this. I'd tell the staff if I saw someone doing this and happily assist the hotel in prosecuting them.
  2. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You pay for the breakfast with the room. If someone goes in for the breakfast who hasn't stayed at the motel, they are a thief plain and simple. No rationalization can make them anything but a thief. They belong on the same level as child molesters IMO. And they know they are a thief.
    adventureboy likes this.
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    No doubt theft is a :nono, but the above is rather an odd comparison to make. Anyways, this whole thing is tangent, maybe we can skip the free meals program discussion and get back to the original topic.
  4. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, not a bad deal
  5. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

yes.

i am not against staying at motels, but this is a CAMPING thread.

if you want, i can start a 'SMALL bike motel thread'

:rofl
  6. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah! I'm over it!:rofl:freaky
  7. asphaltmueller

asphaltmueller nomad acc. ยง 2(3)AVV

Oddometer:
    This is more or less my setup - less in the sense that this a bit of an overload, I even have a charcoal grill in one of the sausage bags.
    And quite a few spares and tools for the old MZ.

small tent, a cheap copy of the blue one in some post before, a big tarp, exellent Salewa sleeping bag, therma rest mat, camping gaz cooker (have a coleman too, now), pot and pan, and a few not so necesarry things more.
    oh yeah, and my italian expresso maker - packs big, but a must for me

[​IMG]
  8. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea. I've slipped into their business centers to check email or write a ride report.
  9. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:

Gee's ...lighten up Francis Lets recap. Eat food = child molester...that about it? Now back to our regularly scheduled small bike camping thread.
  10. stiggs13

stiggs13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my small bike camping set up
    :rofl

[​IMG]
  11. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:

Funny, they don't give me a refund when I don't eat their breakfast.

Are you a District Attorney or just insane.
  12. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, can't you guys read? It's over, move on, I have. :p3rry
  13. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It boggles my mind how completely off topic some threads can turn into:huh.

In an effort to get it back on track here is what I have been using for a stove over the last couple of years for my camping off the 525.

[​IMG]

It's an alcohol stove that burns methyl alcohol, the same stuff that restaraunts use to keep fondue pots and large group stews hot. One time in Laos I even used a hill tribes homemade rice whiskey (moonshine) as fuel to fire up some lunch. I can get this fuel in any small village for a couple pennies and the stoves are wonderfully small and light. Perfect for keeping your load minimal and very simple to use. No priming, jets to clean, stoves to clean, etc. here's a pic with a lighter to use as a size reference, you can see how small these stoves are.

[​IMG]

The above version I bought off inmate Shady Rascal for like $5, he has a thread in vendors forum. This style needs no pot stand and I've even stopped bringing a small windscreen that I used to carry inside the pot since the jungle over here protects you from the wind pretty well. The small clear container contains enough fuel for me to cook about 7 meals and since I generally only cook one meal per day that a weeks worth of fuel in that small container.

I ended up crumpling my first homemade stove in a crash and now store the stove in the cooking pot with a lighter, utensils, and fuel. The stoves you can make yourself for free with a couple aluminum soda tin cans, look here for many creative ideas and info on the alcohol stove: http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

The stoves do not offer perfect flame control so simmering requires some ineraction with the pot but if you're just boiling water or heating up stuff it has worked well for me over the years. A dish of cashew nut chicken with rice, fresh, no boil in a bag stuff over here:D.

[​IMG]

Best of luck everyone.
  14. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

The last pic is in the Bighorn Mts on US14ALT in Shell canyon??
  15. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a pet food bowl that collapses to flat? The bowl pictured reminds me of that. Anyone got one of those and if so, is it durable, and cheap?
  16. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

A couple guys here have used them with various success. I just install fresh HD tubes and run them about 20 lbs. Takes me a few miles to get used to the skittering about but saves the rims and my tires (might) last a little longer. I carry one, 21" tube at all times along with auto tire patch kit.
  17. Fat Monkey

Fat Monkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use these squishy bowls. Stuff them into my Jet-Boil and leave them there. When I am done eating I just pop them inside out and lick'em clean :lol3:lol3. It not only gets them clean, nobody ealse wants to share my food :D.

http://www.campbound.com/guyot-designs-squishy-bowl-cup-set.aspx

18. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    One thing I haven't worked out yet is how to pack cooking gear (things like fry pans) into the Giantloop. How are you guys going about this. Jetboils etc are fine, but not ideal for a stir fry.
  19. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Tmmotten - My GL bag swallows my cooking pot with no problem. A big ole stir fry wok on the other hand may be stretching beyond the GL packing ideology a bit I fear.

Sadly one downside to softluggage is crashing can take a toll on yer cookware:huh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 25 years of riding and racing i wish i could say i don't crash as often as I used to.....................but I can't. Who else suffers this problem and other than to stop crashing, which won't happen, how can this be prevented as this is my seconnd set of cookware?
  20. can'o'kiwi

can'o'kiwi full metal jock-itch

Oddometer: