SMALL bike camping thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by RAZR, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Guoseph

Guoseph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the link and pictures. I think these will do nicely for day rides and looks like it will make a nice harness to strap on a duffle if you wanna go camping too. Do you have any pictures of how much stuff you put into the bags?
  2. Geolander

Geolander Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer:
    Mine aren't the day trippers, but the E-12s. I think they have 10 cubic liters more capacity than the day trippers.

With the saddle bags filled up my duffel bag on top is flush with the saddle bags. The duffel bag is about 20 inches wide.

I could stuff em' full and take some pictures if you need me to.
  3. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    Just checked out the Altrider Holster kit. Brilliant! Thanks for posting.

Love this thread.

-dod
  4. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I don't have pictures of what is inside. But here is a partial list (what I can remember):

Right side:
    * First aid kit (about 6" x 4" x 2")
    * Large SAMS splint
    * Space blanket
    * Whistle, lighter, LED flashlight
    * Ace bandages
    * Probably other stuff that I don't remember

I used to carry all of this in my Camelbak

Left side:
    * KTM toolkit
    * A couple of multi-tools
    * Tire plugs
    * Tow strap
    * Misc nuts and bolts, wire, tape
    * JB Weld epoxy putty
    * Folding saw
    * Compact hand chain saw
    * Probably other stuff that I don't remember

I used to carry the main tools in my rear fender bag, and the rest in my camelbak.

My camelbak is soooo much lighter now.

Each side is about 3/4 full, so I can still cram in a jacket or lunch.

I also have a set of the E-12 bags. They fit the same, but they are quite a bit wider. The Daytripper holds 12L, the E-12 holds 22L. I decided to get the Daytripper because the E-12 flops around a little bit when not fully loaded. Both have a compression strap, which helps, but the E-12s really want more gear (and I didn't want to be tempted to carry even more stuff).

When full, my E-12s are about 21" wide on my KTM 350. Just wide enough to put a tent across the top.

The Daytripper and the E-12s have several D-rings, so it is really easy to strap water bottle holders, jackets, dry bags, etc. I have a pair of Wolfman water bottle holsters that fit nicely on the underside of each saddle bag, carrying 1L of water (or fuel) on each side with the bottles low and out of the way.

Here is a writeup that discusses the E-12.

DOD - After trying Wolfman and Giant Loop, I tried the Altrider Hemisphere luggage. By far the best. Now that they sell just the holster, it gives you a lot of options.
  5. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

when he was developing it i asked him for a 3/4 size one,,,, hes still thinking about it but does have plans to expand the line a bit (something smaller) so i'm holding out cause i know this one is way too big for me.
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I need a replacement for my MoJavi bag. Wachs has said its a possibility. :D
  7. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the holster for several day rides. I'm not sure why you'd need a 3/4 size. Mine cinches down nicely and it's great to have the size when needed. It's never gotten in the way and appears to be durable. It's also nice to know it's big enough for camping if that's what I want to do. I'm hoping to ride the Northwest Passage route this summer and believe its plenty big enough for my needs.
  8. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted the below post in the Vendors thread but thought it might apply here as well.

=================================

Just returned from another 10 days off road in Lao and on the trip again was the Hemisphere bag. I had used Wachs prior design the Coyote for years and years.

[​IMG]

Whilst not perfect it was the best solution at the time. Above is his first design that was meant to be bolted to the bike. I used straps instead and it worked fine for a few years until he redesigned the bag with Truckers Tarp below.

[​IMG]

I even swayed away from the Giantloop system looking for a waterproof solution and used the Kriega Overlander 30 bags.

[​IMG]

Sadly the Kriegas whilst nice to pack failed miserably for me in the field. A complete report comparing the systems is in a thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911217&highlight=overlander

Fast forward to the Altrider Hemisphere. I've used this on a few trips now and I love the upgrades from the older Coyote design. Waterproof and with the durability of the Coyote is a great product.

Apologies as I've finally killed my camera on the last trip and so not many pics came out.

I packed for a 10 day off road trip through Southern Laos with the following kit into the Hemisphere.

[​IMG]

Top row, left to right: starting in the bottom of the bag are items that fit into the odd shape of the bottom of the bag, bag of electrolyte powder, Tupperware of Muesli cereal and powdered milk n spoon, black mesh bag (toiletries, vitamins, condoms), blue compression bag clothes, 1 liter engine oil for the expected drowned bike. In the external pocket Chaco sandals and Kukri blade for clearing bush, hacking small tree's n building bridges.

Bottom row, left to right: Again starting with things that fit into the odd shape of the bottom of the bag for space efficiency: two bags of insulin needles (type 1 diabetic), dried pork and dried fruit, MSR water filter, Marron compression sack is hammock, tarp, and down upper and lower quilts, straps etc., another liter of oil. In the external pocket my complete toolkit including tire irons and pump.

Got into dirt two kilometers into Laos and heading south along the Mekong river. I ended up carrying the Kukri blade across the back of the saddle inside the Altrider instead of in the external pocket. I also kept my tire tools inside a orange plastic bag in the external pocket.

[​IMG]

Not too many clear pics due to the camera failing but the above luggage fit mostly into the side pods with only a couple inches above the seat.

[​IMG]

Even got to crash test them a few times purely to test the durability you understand. I had previously been using zip tyes to tie a small steel carabiner to the frame with which to quickly attach and remove the bags. However on this trip I switched over to rope after I ripped off one of the zip tyes during a 4th gear wipeout.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic showing my buddies GL Great Basin and another friend with his Nomad (Coyote copy) relative to the Hemsiphere on the KTM. You can see here a bit how much lower the Hemisphere carries the load. The bottom of the Great Basin is more than a few inches higher than the bottom of the Altrider. My buddies Nomad zippers also failed on the trip.:lol3

[​IMG]

Camping with the Hemisphere. You can see where I crashed and ripped off the zip tie and tried running the mounting higher up the frame. I've had bad luck in the past with other luggage running straps near the header. If the straps loosen the strap melts in half on the header fucking ya on the trail. Hence why I use the Carabiners and rope now. You'll also not my orange bag of tire tools is long gone:huh. Apparently the four foot whoops and g outs on the trail this day caused enough shifting of the luggage to loosen the compression strap and out flew my tire tools and pump. I'm putting together a bag today to remedy me having this issue again.

[​IMG]

My size 8 Chaco sandals stick out a bit but no worries........

[​IMG]

..............there's hardly any dirt or mud where we ride:lol3.

[​IMG]

1118 KM's was nothing but muck, water n mud.

[​IMG]

River crossing time

[​IMG]

I drowned the bike twice on this trip. bad enough to hydro lock the cylinder and then discover my Motion Pro spark plug tool that worked on my ktm 250 and 525 does not fit the cylinder on my 500. Doh:huh. Good news is that no water ever got in the bag despite it being dumped completly under fast flowing rivers. The waterproofing is hands down the best feature that I enjoy on the bag.

Here you can see relocating the strap higher on the frame sucks as it carried the right side of the bag too high compared to the original location where the left bag is at.

[​IMG]

The right bag mounted back down where it should be with carabiner n some rope.

[​IMG]

They make it a snap to mount and dismount the bag that's why I use this method, It also keepd the strap faaaar away from the header.

Unlike others I don't utilize the holster. I actually find it a bit of a pain to load it with a holster but others love it and who am I to complain. The system works reliably and is waterproof. More than can be said of other carry systems. Once again Wachs uses his shit for real before releasing it to the public and his testing makes sure the damn stuff works. For this I'm truly grateful as it's head n shoulders above other systems.

[​IMG]

When my buddies subframe broke on his KLX i took a duffle bag of his and using the top compression straps of the Hemisphere strapped it on top of my luggage to ease some weight off of his steed. Got us to a hotel for a nice night instead of sleeping in the jungle again,

[​IMG]

Off to Cambodia in a couple weeks for some more thrashing about with the Altrider.

I love that I can pack everything I need for a multi week ride including camping gear, tools, spares, etc and it all fits almost in line with the seat. Good stuff Wachs and thanks again for all your efforts ya put into the product:freaky:clap:clap:clap!!!
    farshid37 likes this.
  9. MotoDaveL

MotoDaveL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, I wont ever complain about pot holes again:clap
  10. kermitridesagain

kermitridesagain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sleeping
    oztrail biker swag with airpad and sleeping bag inside

just unroll and get in

cooking
    simple penny alcohol stove, generic nesting camping pots...nothing fancy but does the job
  11. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

Thanks TEAMFTB! What a relief that my designs are serving you well over there. Pretty amazing stuff you guys are riding, makes my arms tired looking at all that mud! :lol3 :clap
  12. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Haha:lol3. That was a lovely flat graded road so was tapped out in sixth gear on the 500 when my 20/70 vision spotted it a wee bit too late. Hard on the brakes to scrub speed, downshift a bunch of gears and then clutch it over the ditch. Only issue was the engine died during the brake lockup and I was unaware. I clutched the bike with the gas nailed to jump it and only proceeded to roll dead engine into the thing. Fucking friends were busting a gut at my idiocy
  13. team ftb

Oddometer:
    You're the man Dave. Keep the good shit coming:freaky.

Just fried the 500 motor on the Lao trip so my upcoming Cambodia trip has been shelved until i can get the head and cylinder checked to find out what I did to it:cry.
  14. DrewsBrews

DrewsBrews Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

MSR Pocket Rocket and the smaller pot from the Coleman aluminum nesting 2 pot set. Inside the pot I pack the pocket rocket, instant coffee/cocoa packs, the lighter ect. For the tent I now use an Eurika Backcountry 1-man. Innitially I used one of the eurika solitaire bivvy tents, but can't sit up in it and requires being staked out to stay up. However I don't skimp on my pad. I pack an XL thermarest deluxe in a drybag on the rear seat.
  15. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey team ftb.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the packing systems you have tried. It is helpful to see how they survive in the conditions you travel in.

I am interested to hear what has happened to your 500 engine. Maybe it is from the hydrolock? Please share that somewhere. :ear
  16. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Team FTB,
    Love reading about your adventures - I have been using Kreiga stuff for the last several years and although I have had great service from mine, I am thinking that I really like the looks of the Altrider stuff. Maybe you could answer a couple of comparison questions? Is there much of a weight difference between the Kreiga saddlebags and the Altrider setup you have? I see that you are using the horseshoe shaped dry bag - I really don't like anything sticking up to high on the seat and would probably want separate side dry bags - what do you think?
    Thanks for the advice and please let us know the results of your 500's engine.
  17. team ftb

Oddometer:
    No worries Master Marine, twas not the bikes fault at all. My bike started running hot on the last trip into Lao. I ran it low on water once as I had changed from my trusted Thumper Racing Coolant reseviour tank CRT to a RLR CRT. The Thumper racing CRT I mounted the overflow to the exhaust so I could see if it boiled over. The RLR CRT mounted in the airbox and since I've never boiled the bike over in 200 hours i figured I'd not bother drilling a hole in the airbox to get a CRT overflow tube back to the header. You know where this is going[​IMG]. Fast forward to my trip and my bike is running hot with the fan on, I'm in singletrack and it's muddy so don't think much of it. Needless to say it's running hot because the SRT rad guards have been packed solid with mud and I never saw the water getting spit out of the CRT. Sooooo I have now run the bikes cooling system dry in the middle of Lao. Uh oh. And the bike was run for a long time with no water in the rads. I yanked the head and cylinder and will be sending them out for cracks as even with a new head gasket and water pump seal it's still getting water in my oil. Therefore I'm guessing I cracked a head. My fault not the bikes.
  18. team ftb

Oddometer:
    There is a weight difference. The Altrider bags are heavier. How much I'm not sure since I don't have the Kriega's any more. Since they work and my Kriega bags failed it's a tradeoff I can live with, haha.

I pack light on most of my multi day rides and can get the standard Altrider bag down pretty much level with the seat.

[​IMG]

This is camping gear, clothes, toiletries, tools, and spares and that all packs to seat height. I honestly don't see an advantage of using separate drybags and what it will give you. Unless you already own them and it's a cost saving advantage.

Best of luck on your travles..
  19. facundonu

facundonu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bike packed

[​IMG]

bike unpacked

[​IMG]

this will do for trips any long, in not so cold weather. if i have to bring a bigger sleeping bag and some more clothes it'll be slightly biggger.
    farshid37 likes this.
  20. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am fairly new to dirt bike camping (or small bike adventures), so I have experimented with a few different rackless luggage systems for me and my children; Wolfman E-12, Giant Loop Coyote, and AltRider Hemisphere. The AltRider is by far my favorite. A really slick system.

I consider myself mid level when it comes to going light weight. One of my friends carries a lot of gear on his KLR, while another friend goes super light on his KTM. I am somewhere in the middle. My tent, chair, sleeping bag, and air mattress take up a fair amount of space, but if I can't have some degree of comfort, I won't enjoy the trip. Here is a photo of my bike all loaded and ready to ride.

[​IMG]

Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. If you want more information from my testing, check out my blog.

Here is my trip report from my maiden voyage with the AltRider setup.
    farshid37 likes this.