SMALL bike camping thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by RAZR, Dec 2, 2010.

1. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^Nice read on the blog. I was all over that area about two weeks ahead of you. Can't wait to go back...just beautiful country.
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I stated I've taken a few trips with my Altrider Hemisphere bg and pretty much pleased with the set-up. However on my last trip I had my tire tools and air pump stashed in the exterior pocket in my usual plastic bag, seen in this pic.

[​IMG]

It stayed there all through my last trip and a few days into this one. However on the third day the compression strap on the side pod of the bag loosened enough to let the tools go flying. Not sure if the loosening was the Camlok letting loose a bit or luggage shifting a bit and introducing slack.

Bottom line I needed a better method for holding my tire tools. After I ordered my replacement tools and got them delivered from the states i fashioned up a bag that could be fastened to the compression strap to keep from loosing the tools again should any slippage happen again.

[​IMG]

Something simple that I can thread the compression strap through to keep the tools all together and clasped onto the bag strap.

[​IMG]

It holds the Motion Pro 27mm tire spoon, two other tire levers and my air pumo.

Ready to go for the next trip.

[​IMG]

Actually I should have also mounted my Chaco sandals to make sure it all fits Kosher in the pocket. I'll have to do that tomorrow.

There are probably more efficient ways of keeping yer tire tools safe in the exterior pocket but this is what I'll try next. I'll also tighten up the webbing location and put more stitches on the webbing to secure it better now that the trial fit has been done.
  3. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Yep, Brady makes good stuff! I've not had him make anything special for me, but I have two of his normal-stock bags for carrying tools and spares, and they are great bags and have held up for 3.5-4 years now. Got mine in bright orange, and never loose them when working on the side of the trail.
  5. dec181966

dec181966 Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Love this thread but been away from the site for a few months while moving from CA to TX. Sad to see it die so thought I would give it a bump. Moving into the new house in June and then will be prepping the XT250 for a camping trip to the TX hill country. Let's give this thread some life!!

A couple old pics from a weekend camping trip I took on the northern CA coast right after I got the XT (Thumpy). Just a rear rack and everything ROK strapped on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peace :freaky
    Bikerboy likes this.
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    love ROK Straps!!! :claps
  7. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet set up! I feel the same way. There is something very cozy sitting between that stuff. Your bike is between my XR650R and my CR250R. I really like the look of your setup, from the back tire to the tank bag. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. Honda90

Honda90 Adventurer

Oddometer:

That was my rig, right there.
  9. Flash94

Flash94 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish I had an old CT-90..

Full leathers riding one of those.. can you imagine the looks! LOL
  10. facundonu

facundonu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is my camping setup for 4 days of cold and wet weather in the forest region, on my 125cc street bike.

[​IMG]

and some more pics fromn this trip (4 people, 3 small honda bikes)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Awesome set up facundonu. All you need and nothing you don't.
  12. dec181966

dec181966 Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer:
  13. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:thumb You can have a lot of fun on little bikes!:D
  14. facundonu

facundonu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, mainlly when bigger bikes are as expensive as they are around here!! haha.
  15. BDRichmond

BDRichmond Adv'er

Oddometer:
    I have a MSR Pocket Rocket that i plan to use to boil water primarily (for coffee, ramen, etc.). What cup would you use to hold the water? I see pricey titanium cups but is there something else out there that works well. Would be for single camping most of the time so doesn't need to be huge. Thanks for the help...

BD
  16. MotoDaveL

MotoDaveL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GSI Minimalist. All you need for a cup of coffee or to rehydrate a meal.

[​IMG]
  17. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Only issue I see with the above cup is the silicone finger gloves are great for picking the cup up off the stove but not sure how good they are for holding the cup when full of boiled noodles, scoffing down a meal, or drinking a cup of hot coffee.
  18. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    The fingers pull it off the stove, but it comes with a sleeve to make handling the cup easier once off flame. The sleeve is on the cup in the pic, just kind of hard to tell.
  19. team ftb

Oddometer:
    gotcha, thanks.
  20. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A1 on the Gsi minalimist. I have used it exclusively for a few years now on all my camping trips. Brew up a cup of coffee and the sleeve acts as an insulated mug. Easily heats up a can of stew or beans or boil water for freeze dried foods. When packing up, it will hold a isopropane can or store your stove inside.