Small Bikes Big Canyons

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cwc, Dec 23, 2007.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    A short day is any day that you are where you want to be before dark.:rofl
  2. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Charlie!!! I'll be down in Bato for the first three weeks of Feb. Maybe we'll hook up for a ride??? I'll be on a 640a and based out of a Toyota Tundra with pop up camper, parked on the main drag in Bato.
  3. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll be there sometime in that time frame. Not sure just what order we'll do stuff in right now. It would be good to get a report on your doings there. If you see people from MN it's a good chance they'll be with us. If they are on bikes.
  4. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :norton I read this post of some doing the ride from Yoquivo a la Bufa: If you have done some hiking there en la Bufa, there is no road going out, this is of course on the mine side.
    Just after the canyon of la Bufa widens and the road is almost by the side of the river, there is a hanging bridge, most riders don´t see it !!, that is understanding, either they see the road or they really see it ( when the bike and rider hit the gravel !!), and a sign says:LA YERBABUENA ( don´t be mistaken it is not the marihuana ), the road climbs very steep, it goes to a ranchito, but has no conection to Yoquivo or Buena Vista.

The couple of riders on 650 GS might have mistaken that the road is the one coming from Buena Vista going down through LA CARBONERA and intersectioning exactly 6 kms north of Batopilas, that same road is the airstrip of Bato.:lol3
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Did you turn right here, going downhill and north?
    Was there a pickup with Idaho plates?

Just found this RR, great stuff...
    Now I have to go finish it.
  6. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    :D
    No, I just remember the ID plates, but didn't look to see when they'd expired.
    IIRC, there was a large jug under the roof for dipping drinking water, cradled by triple branches out of a cut tree trunk.
  8. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    I ride a DR350 also. what kinda mpg are you guys getting?
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends.

Normally I get on the order of 60±5 mpg. It can fall a little below that at higher speeds.

I have the stock exhaust and my jetting is close to stock.

I think in deep sand it falls off quite a bit, but one of my objectives in life is to never ride in deep sand long enough to get an accurate mileage measurement.
  10. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm stock also on a '94, and my mileage had been less than 50 for a long time. But I took the four little 1" round air plugs out of my air box, and the mileage jumped up to right at 60 with an increase in power. Heaven knows what it would be like with the $" hole cut in the top of the Air box. :clap

Anyway, great story, and I have had bigger bikes, don't think I'll ever go back to Bigger ones for adv touring.. Oh, and I don't like the sand either.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dear Tury,
    I am really interested in seeing the Sinforosa and it would be wonderful if you could show us some hidden treasures of the Sierra Madre.

Look forward to seeing you at the Hairy Face Rallye.

Jimmy
  12. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jimmy:

I just got home from a 5 week ride in USA and Canada ( Brunswick, Nova Scotia,Newfoundland and 20 800 kms.

Rain has been pouring like it hadn´t done since many years. Up to now the border of Ojinaga/ Presidio is closed, both cities are closed, but as soon I have news I´ll let you know.

Some of the routes of the dirt roads can´t be done because of the rivers have to much flow, such as Urique ( close to Tubares) and the Oteros ( Chinipas) and near Uruachi to la Finca and Uruachi to Maguarichi.

I am quite sure the flow diminishes quite fast once the rains end , and that happens in October.

The paved roads , the conditions are fine, which ever the route you decide to get to Creel, that is from north...El Paso/Juarez...Ojinaga/ Presidio ( once the condition of the bridge is safe),Casas Grandes-Gomez Farias-Guerrero, Hermosillo-Yécora-Basaseachi-San Juanito-Creel, Hidalgo de Parra- Guachochi-Creel.

Safety: a month ago a shooting in the town of Creel was held killing several persons. but up to now the law enforcement is highl, with the presence also of the soldiers, so I am sure it is more safe now than before the shooting.

I will appreciate any kind of questions, suggestions, doubts concerning the Rally Copper Canyon, etc.

See you there.:freaky
  13. adriangmz

adriangmz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello tury, your friend adrian from los cabos here, is there going to be a ride to batopilas? or what other route you have in mind to guide yourself, if possible to know, or its one of the many surprises you have for us this time?
  14. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :deal Adrian:

for the past 5 years I have done only 2 guided tours, since the rest of the time I have stayed at Creel welcoming , giving tips,getting spare parts,searching for lost riders, aiding injured or sick riders ( happens to be I am a Surgeon) anything related to the rally, that keeps me quite busy, but this year I´ll try to at least do some riding while Gerardo Ibarra stays at Creel.

One of my favorite sites is Batopilas, in some way it is the heart to head to many interesting places and at the same time has a very interesting history.

Adrian , see you at Creel, and have :freaky !!salud!! XX

Tury
  15. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    Hola Tury!

Sorry I missed you when you were here in the states. Dad (CWC) said he enjoyed having you here.

He's in Mexico right now, but I don't remember him saying he's going to the rally. Has he said anything to you about it?
  16. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola John :clap

I just talked with your dad (CWC ), they are spending the night at Cuahtémoc, tomorrow when passes through Chihuahua city we will meet here, and Thursday 16 th. I am heading to Creel to the Chabochis Rally and today it began to rain, so that will make it more fun and NO POLVO ( no dust ! ).

Hope to see you and the rest of the Pandilla soon over here and several:freaky

Tury