Small Engine Repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Schmokel, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Lawn mowers. Chainsaws. Weed whackers. That sort of thing. There any market for them? Looking to perhaps pull in a little side money. Fix up a few things and sell them off. I'm not afraid to dub with a carb and love tinkering away at a work bench. I'm just thinking that most people would drive to the nearest box store for when their chainsaw stopped running instead of check out Marketplace or Craigslist first.

Thoughts?
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    If there's not a bunch of guys already doing that in your area, I think it's a fantastic idea. A guy I know is doing really well with it and moved to doing it full time. Does lawnmower work on site out of a box truck and picks up stuff along the way to do at home. He's expensive and covered up. Just swapping out a battery on a lawn tractor is $300 parts/labor. Customer just leaves it accessible for him to swing by.
  3. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are doing it out of your garage there is zero loss in giving it a go imo... try it out and see what happens.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    All about location! Some places you'll make it, others nearly everybody's doing it already. Throwaway culture works against you some.
    To be done properly you'll need some specialized tools.
  5. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    It's odd, in my area I don't think the market is very good for it. I am retired military, been just tinkering for a while until I decide what I want to do when I grow up. I have picked up 30-40 mowers, weed eaters, pressure washers, etc over the last few months and fixed all of them for either free or under $20......pressure washer was the only exception because the pump was bad. I have made about $100 total, most of them I have given away to people in the community. I advertised several of them on craigslist, offer up and Facebook marketplace but nobody purchased any of them. The few that I have sold have been to friends who knew they were getting a hell of a deal. Anyway, I'm just having fun and helping people but the money isn't in it here.
  6. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Kind of how I see this going. I don't really know where I could source non-running small engines as it is. ~$40 profit here and there would be nice. Not looking to cash in, but something to gas up the truck once a week or so. I'm thinking most people would just make a B line to Lowe's for a new [whatever].
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mustie1 on utube.
  8. NJjeff

NJjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Source?
    Beat the scrap man to the backside of a power Equipment shop. Sad to say but with high labor rates it's cheaper to junk most equipment than fix.

I'm just curious, how you will sell the items?
    Between ebay fees and high shipping rates I don't see that as an option.
  9. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do a search in the spring for things like "ran when parked" and look for things to search up and fix and resell.

90% of the time, it's a mower or snowblower that just needs carb work. I don't even rebuild them, most of the time you can get a brand new one for less than $20.
  10. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea. There are a bunch around town.

As for selling, just Marketplace and CL. I've done alright selling stuff on there. Just trying to see perhaps if I could make some extra income.
  11. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I have got all of mine for free. Just driving around, asking on social media, etc. I had one situation where a person gave me a mower, then told me of her friend who was cleaning out her father's estate.....I got five mowers from there. I have even learned how to repair electric weed eaters, most of them aren't really worth fixing because they are $40 new but a $1 thermal fuse has fixed several of them. I guess most of the stuff I have got is older and not as fancy, maybe that's why it isn't selling? And again, the location might decide the market.