Small to Midsized soft luggage

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wattner, May 25, 2020.

1. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some small to midsized waterproof soft bags. I like simple, easy to use, mount/dis-mount, etc. The Giant loop would be my choice but the Mojave is way too small and the Coyote looks too big. It would be awesome if they made an in-between bag, but does not seem to be in the cards. I am putting the bags on a 2020 KTM EXC 500 for multiple day rides, but not wanting/needing camping gear. I think somewhere between 20-30 liters is about right. Will pack a change or two of clothes, small amount of tools, first aid kit, jacket, small thin layers of clothes for weather changes, small bag of toiletries, extra pair of gloves, goggles when I'm using glasses and a pair of shoes. Going with Nitro-Mousses so no tire tools or pumps required (Woohoo!). I'll be using a very small tank bag and just received a GL Buckin' tank bag that is the right size.

Can anyone comment or add anything I may have missed?

https://www.ktm-parts.com/79712919000.html These bags look really nice, and a take off of the enduristan bags, just not sure what size they are and it says it comes with a seat with straps attached. I Like that there are no straps across the seat. I'm going with a Renazco Seat so not interested in the KTM seat if you can't attach straps to your own. $279.00 delivered
    [​IMG]
    Enduristan: Great looking bags, they have several size options, just not sure about the mounting system. $350.00 for large (double 12 L) , free delivery
    [​IMG]
    Giant Loop Coyote. Maybe I'm off here, but it looks, well giant to me (Be great to have it 2/3's size or so) $460.00 with dry pods. Ouch
    [​IMG]
    Mosko 40 is just too big, too many buckles, pockets, etc. and ***gulp*** $490.00 plus another $40.00 for shipping (pet peeve when everyone else offers free shipping). The reckless 10 is 2- 5 liter bags and just a bit small I think, but simple which is good to me. I have purchased a few things from them, but honestly they are overbuilt to me. The Fatty tool roll is huge, way bigger than I'll ever want. Pico tank bag and phone pouch...Nah, just not for me. I see how some are full on Fan bois, but for some reason I just can't jump on the bandwagon. If I was outfitting a GS or Africa Twin, maybe. Just overbuilt in my opinion for lightweight traveling.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 8.21.55 PM.png
    Kriega. I like their system, seems streamlined, simple and robust plus you can swap bags around for different sizes and set ups. Does it lay flat and not flop around? $300.00 plus heat shield, delivered
    [​IMG]
    Givi. Looks cool, no idea how they fit or ride 15L each side: $233.00 delivered
    [​IMG]
    Wolfman E base with optional bags. Base $150.00, 12L Rollies $85.00 each, heat shield $40.00. What I like is the flexibility and that they are Wolfman. I have been using Wolfman for years, great quality and excellent products. Dis-likes: all of the buckles that would flop around when bags are off if you went for a ride and price. About $370.00 delivered.
    [​IMG]
    Wolfman E12 Saddlebags. Looks like a decent size, price is good just not sure how they ride on the bike. In the pic they look like they ride too far forward but may be adjustable or a non-issue. Would like to see them in person or hear from someone with experience. $230.00 plus $40.00 for heat shield delivered
    [​IMG]

I'll probably order a couple different setups then play around and see which I like the best. I truly appreciate any feedback or suggestions!
    Emgo and Urbandrag like this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Can't help with your decision making but great post. Very useful with all the pictures.
    Urbandrag likes this.
  3. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wattner,

I have the Wolfman Daytripper, the slimmer version of the E12 and not waterproof. They are on my plated CRF230F. I take them off after every ride when I wash my bike. They are extremely easy to take on and off. The only negative thing for me is that they make it a little difficult to dismount from my bike. I now look awkward doing that.

Wolfman is a great company to deal with. They stand behind their products if you have any issues.

You definitely need the heat shield. I also put heat reflective paper on the inside of my side cover. Be careful what you place in the luggage on the side with the muffler. I had my Antigravity Battery Microstart Battery Starter in it and the heat swelled it so it wouldn't work. I now carry the replacement unit in the other saddle bag. Same thing will happen with food. It will melt.

I think you would be happy with the E12 luggage. They are larger than mine and would be spacious. Mine don't move around in the whoops or rocks. I don't see why these would either.

Make sure you trim the straps an inch at a time while fitting the luggage to your bike or you'll find you cut too much off. I'm speaking from experience. :(
  4. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Great points! The Altrider holster looks good as well, allows whatever you choose for dry bags.

YellowJacket, you bring up a great point...As I get older it is harder to swing a leg over, so maybe the Enduristan and Kriega would be easier to get on the bike with? I'll be making some calls on the KTM bags, as I like the concealed top straps. Curious of the capacity. I do have a GL Tail Rack for an extra bag if needed to mount on the fender. Thinking that's a good spot for heavier tools so they can be strapped down securely.

Have gotten in the habit of putting my left foot on the peg, taking off then swinging right leg over to get on the bike. Makes like a step, but could be tricky with tall or wide bags.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    draco_1967 likes this.
  7. Wattner

Oddometer:
    The greenchile is a very unique take on luggage. I have to admit that I've heard about it, but when perusing their website there is not much info or many photos depicting the setup. With the second link you provided, I did see a few bags wrapped tight. Definitely different and looks very secure...

Looks like there's a new addition to the possibilities!

Thank you sir!
    flamingm0e likes this.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    @kaosbandit could help you with any questions you have on the product. Great dude to deal with, and the quality is top notch.

PS. Ever use ROK Straps? Try the Mondo UL kit from Green Chile. It'll change your mind about ROK
  9. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Wolfman saddle bags don't make it harder to get on the bike, they make it harder to dismount from the bike.
  10. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can just stuff less in the giant loop /altrider hemisphere, and only have stuff in the holster part, and cinch the rollbag down.
    Witht he altrider, you can buy jut the holster part, and use smaller drybags of your own choice.
  11. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the e12 on my 701 and also on my old wrr. On many bikes the straps will go under the seat, may need to trim some plastic. I like them and they stay mostly out of the way. They have tie down points for a tail bag as well. I usually add a 25 liter dry bag for overnight trips.
    Wattner likes this.
  12. solitary1

solitary1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kriega,try the 12 litre bags for 24 litre total.I have the 18 litre bags for my wr450 currently packed with camping gear,tools etc. I have about 15 litres in each bag and the straps pulled in to make the narrower,they take literally 30 seconds to mount and 10 seconds to remove.
    Wattner likes this.
  13. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride off road, these anchors are terrible. I had a strap pull through the middle slot after hitting a dip (like a whoop, but singular and dug for drainage). The bag fell off, but fortunately didnt get caught in the wheel, and nothing was damaged. Use them at your own risk.

Both Wolfman and Green Chili sell anchors that don't have the center slot. If you use one of these mounts, loctite the bolt. DAMHIK. You may also be able to anchor on the bike (frame member, foot peg, etc).

As for bags, I'm a fan of Green Chili Adventure Gear soft racks. To it I strap whatever bag fits the need... Small duffel, 15L or 20L dry bag, etc. It takes a bit of trial and error to get things just right, but they work.

If I had your bike, I'd run a what I use on my XR250R, a GCAG hard core soft rack.

You can easily make your own, custom heat shield with some 1" aluminum flat stock and some rivets. I have a heat shield by both Altrider and Giant Loop, and decided to make my own that fits my bikes as they don't fit well.
    Wattner likes this.
  14. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    True. But...

The shape of the holster has an angled bottom. This means that if you don't use the Altrider dry bag and decide to use some other bag, there will always be a small empty void under the bottom end of the bag. Nothing will fit as well as the Altrider bag.

I also didn't like that the drain hole in the bottom of the holster is not at the lowest point (IIRC, it's centered, which due to the angle is not the low point) so it doesn't drain completely.

It's a quality bag (though overpriced as is a lot of moto luggage), but I ended up selling it due to these shortcomings.

Edit: it looks like they now have a $92 - 14L dry bag designed to fit in the holster. And that's my point. A premium, top of the line 15L dry bag costs $27 (NRS Tuff Sack). Thus Green Chili. I use whatever bags I want. Cheap dry bags. Canvas bags. Or, if I wanted to throw money away, I could even buy the previously mentioned $92 dry bag.
  15. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
  17. Wrongwaydarn

Wrongwaydarn n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Mosco Reckless 10 for my 2019 EXC500. Small, watertight and hopefully not in the way. If I needed more to go with an additional tail bag.
  18. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's my exact setup. I use the stock altrider dry bag or mix/match with random dry bags. The harness is great and super versatile. The pockets make it better than any of the other options.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't had that problem, but I snug up pretty tight. I love how they make it just that little bit easier, but if I ever had a problem I'd switch, just don't see it happening is all.