Smaller G for 2up witch one

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by lalispeed, Oct 3, 2019.

1. lalispeed

lalispeed Right handle addict...

Oddometer:
    I posted this somewhere on trips but i got no help yet, i couldn't see other forum that feel my needs. So i currently have an 06 gs1200. And i did few looong trips with the person that sleep on the other side of the bed ...most of the times.....We love our bike, but....i bought a Van.
    Dodge promaster 3500. Im looking for a bike that i can load an unload easily, more lightweight and smaller. We are tired of long stints of HWY to get somewhere ( we live in Dallas). So the idea is do Day trips or few day trips on a bike that have some off road capabilities. We like to go Natiomal parks and hike or do nothing...or ride around. I was looking into the new KTM 790 and i love it... but the $ is to high and i can't afford it... Cause there is no way that im selling my BMW.... Gs800/650?..The TR650 sounds kinda right but imposible to find them... Xr650?.. sucks on twisty roads... desitions desitions...
  2. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    We did 2-up on a Tiger 800 XRX and it wasn't bad. Any smaller bike is going to be somewhat of a challenge 2-up, especially comparing to the 1200GS. I never cared for the BMW 800 engine, but some like it.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  3. Massabusa

Massabusa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    First question is:
    Is the bike going in the van or on a hitch mount?
  5. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Suzuki V-Strom 650 in Thailand fitted out with Givi Trekker cases.

2 up with all our gear for weeks at a time is no problem (we don't camp there though so only carting our clothes & some tools.)

Her indoors has never complained about discomfort and neither of us feel cramped.

Bike is fast enough for the highways (but maybe not the US type highways where you all seem to cruise at 85 mph), nimble enough for all the tight mountain roads with a good balance of torque & power.
  6. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just how serious is the dirt you want to ride in? If you were riding an R1200gs on it but now want a smaller lighter, hitch mounted rack two up, street legal "dirt bike" I'd go xr650L or Dr650. They are not ktm expensive, are reliable and short distance on road rideable. The XR650R is much better off-road and ok on road but not really meant to be ridden two up. There are many other newer dual sports to choose from. The 650's are torquey enough for two up.
  7. lalispeed

Oddometer:
    I will try that bike i have a dealer, close by. Thanks for the response. !
  8. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    The difference in weight between all the "smaller" 800cc bikes and the larger R1200GS is roughly 50-80 lbs give or take. In the case of the Triumph, it's probably the same weight as your GS. That's a lot of weight when you are picking up a dropped bike, but not much difference for carrying the bike on/in a van.

This has not yet been answered and I think the most critical question here. What's the limitation? The WEIGHT of the bike or the exterior dimensions?
  9. lalispeed

Oddometer:
    I'm not planning on get on gnarly places. I guess will be more like 80/20 . And sometimes not even hit any off road. I remember a place in Death Valley that i went alone left my wife waiting cause it was rough. And to be honest the Gs. It wasn't happy either...
  10. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    2x WR250R's.
    Desce likes this.
  11. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    If you aren't going far, you can ride 2up on anything. The weight issue is not easily solved. The 800 will weigh the same as your 06 1200, same with the tiger and the 790. They are all within a few lbs of each other. The problem with lightweight is lack of comfort. My buddy has a 690. That would be lighter weight. however, I couldn't imagine sitting on that thing for any length of time. A dr650 is still 360lbs and the honda crf rally is 350lbs. Not exactly light. in order to get into light weight and ease of loading/unloading, you would have to be in dirt bike territory. a dr400 is 320lbs and a wr250 is 300lbs. About as light as you are going to get and still be somewhat bearable for comfort for any length of time.
    zaxrex likes this.
  12. lalispeed

Oddometer:
    Good to know im not going to use it on long stretches. Just curvy roads and small off road. . I will try that one to. , thanks!!
  13. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    I guess that question is just never going to be answered...
  14. lalispeed

Oddometer:
    My wife does not ride she didn't enjoy at all she also like to be on the back... And thats an important thing that she needs some comfort.
  15. lalispeed

Oddometer:
    Hmmm i will consider this to ,thanks!
  16. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    How large are you two? My wife and I have done some long days of slab and trails on DR650s. We're 5'8"/200lb/30” inseam and 5'5"/petite/30” inseam. A ButtyBuddy and some drop brackets for the passenger pegs made her a bit more comfortable. Procycle shaved over 40lb off of a DR, if you're looking for a somewhat light and low dualsport that can economically run slab 2up with luggage all day.

If you're bigger people, maybe try to find a G/F650 X or GS thumper...or a KLR650. The big Husky TEs or TRs are worth a hunt too. If you're NOT bigger people, you may even consider a 250, like a KLX250S or the heavier CRF250L. If you like to ride slower roads, even a CRF230L or XT225 or 250 might fit, and weigh less than 300lb curb.
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My wife and I used to ride 2-up on my 1983 Honda XL600R. We are both full size people, and together we out-weighed the bike. It was OK for short trips, but the bike was not happy. Riding solo, it would do about 80-85 on the highway, which is just barely enough in California. Out on the interstate, I've had UPS box trucks pass me. Riding solo on curvy roads, it was awesome thanks to my DIY supermoto conversion (I laced an 18" hoop onto the front hub). I ran both street biased tires, and knobbies, depending on how I wanted to use the bike. If you are both smaller people, a 600-650 dual sport would be the way to go.

20180312_163206.jpg

photo3.JPG

Wanting a bit more top speed, I bought an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. It has over 90 horsepower, and can easily handle any highway needs. At over 400 lbs, it is on the heavy side for off road use. I'd say this bike is close to the sweet spot for all around 2-up riding for medium to large people. I ride it mostly solo now, because my wife bought the DR350 seen here in the background.

[​IMG]

Other bikes I think might suit you well are the Ducati Scrambler, Suzuki V-Strom 650, or KTM 950SM. Of course the BMW F850GS would be awesome, but those are still quite expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. lalispeed

Oddometer:
    I will like it inside... no pulling a trailer for sure but i can think about a hitch ramp .
  19. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem with light weight is it costs you more. More modern, more money. I like the idea of the smaller v-strom but I don't find it light or that great offroad. You might as well just use the GS.
    None of the dual sports are going to be really comfortable for a couple hours on the back, imo.
    I have several dual sports and use them according to the intended ride. Of course that never works as planned.
    The best thing is you can probably buy a nice use DS and if it doesn't work out for you two you can usually sell them for about what you bought them for. This is not true for new though.
    If you are not that familiar with 650's I'd check them out. They aren't great on road but will do. Nothing is going to do it all as you know. But the 650's are way better offroad than any of the "adventure" bikes.
  20. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a KLR 650 would be right up your alley. Should be able to get one cheap enough to buy an aftermarket shock for 2-up work.