Smart Wallets

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by ozmoses, May 12, 2018.

1. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good real world info.
    ozmoses likes this.
  2. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run with tile. I've a tile slim in my wallet. Fits like this...not super skinny...but pretty close.
    [​IMG]

I also run with a tile keyfobs, and a keysmart pro, which includes a tile transmitter in the keysmart chassis. The keysmart, unlike the tiles... is rechargeable, which is nice.

[​IMG]

It's a decently well thought out system. You can tile a bunch of stuff. You can even tile your bike if you want, with a ziptie strap.

[​IMG]

Best thing about it...it's saved my butt a bunch of time. Worst thing about it...the tiles are mostly dead after a year, maybe year and a half or so, and not rechargeable.

I should add...I live in a yuppy urban environment, where everybody and their mother is all hooked up with gizmos. So, I get fairly decent coverage even when I don't have my radios turned on. But YMMV when it comes to that. If you turnt your bluetooth off, and you're in the styx...you won't notice where your wallet is or isn't.
    Pete_Tallahassee and ozmoses like this.
  3. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    The thing with those systems like the Tile or the Trackr( another example) is unless you are in bluetooth range its pretty useless. For finding your lost keys in the house i can see the value but trying to find something stolen, well that is another issue entirely. They rely on crowd-sourcing for the ability to track something remotely. In an urban environment it may work if you have a large user base that use the same device and have the app running on their phones. In a rural environment odds are going to be far less of it actually working.
    gogogordy and ozmoses like this.
  4. ozmoses

ozmoses Contrary

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the Google maps part of these two come into play when beyond bluetooth range? Or is that functionality overblown?
  5. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect it'd fall into the "overblown" bucket for most people. To get a ping that shows up on the map, either you have to be near enough to the tile/wallet yourself, with (1) your bluetooth radio running, and (2) your app running, and (3) connection to the Internet, or some other dude has to be close enough to the wallet with all three of those things happening.
  6. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Way overblown, the device itself can't connect to google on its own. It requires some other smart phone/tablet to be within range of the device to send data. That phone/tablet also has to be running whatever app they made to do the tracking /send data to google maps. So its relying on people being around the device with a smartphone( common but the more rural/off the beaten path the less likely it becomes) and that smart phone having said trackers app loaded and running(probability unknown).

Check out this info from Tile on how their crowd sourcing works. Its a simplified explanation but bottom line is without another smart device running their app the tracker device is useless beyond bluetooth range. It cant do it on its own.
    https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/community-find
    Like i said, if you misplace something in an area you frequent like home or work and are in range of that i'm sure it will help you find it. Outside your home i think the probability of finding it goes way down. If something is stolen i think the odds of you finding it again are almost zero.

I have personally played with the TrackR device. My wife bought one thinking it was like a mini GPS so she cold track her cat who was old and somewhat blind. That is kind of the way they market it but in reality its just not so. I wanted to see how it would work in the city so i put it in my backpack for months. Not one time could she track the device when i was out of range of her phone. I work in Boston Mass which is very urban and not once could she pick it up despite TrackR's claims of lots of users in the Boston area. If i loaded their app on my phone she could see it but beyond that she could not, that tells me a couple things. One is that maybe TrackR has a low adoption rate( not the case if you look at their website and search on how many checking there are in Boston) or the device is simply not very effective and is dependent on a perfect storm of conditions to be present.
    ozmoses likes this.
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses Contrary

Oddometer:
    Interesting in that I was leaning toward the TrackR due to that marketing...
  8. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :jack It's the loom I used to weave the 550 cord for the wallet. Any Luddite would know that...
    ozmoses likes this.
  9. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    These devices rely on “hopscotching” off of other peoples devices as the tracker moves away from its owner’s device. Not so many people? Good luck....
  10. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    you never buy dinner do you...:lol3
  11. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a tile on my van key. Can't remember when I put it on. This thread prompted me to to see whether I could ping the tile. It didn't work. 3V battery measures 0.04V. So, unless I set up a routine to check it, it isn't much good to me.
  12. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a money clip thing like this. I carry it in my front pocket. I don't care for anything in my back pocket. IMG_20191012_212450096.jpg
  13. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    OLAS.

I got a tag for my dogs lifejacket. Yeah not a wallet but likely the same tech. I like it. Hope to never have to rely on it. In testing it is accurate .