Smartphone GPS App with Highway/Road Display Options

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by BigSky!, Apr 30, 2019.

1. BigSky!

BigSky! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've searched multiple threads and it seems nobody has specifically addressed this particular issue; or, if they have, it is lost in the thousands of other GPS app posts. When members of this forum usually discuss GPS apps it is for saving routes, importing routes, etc. I'm not looking for more information on that functionality as I already have that and know how to do it. I have downloaded most of the most-mentioned GPS apps and havin't quite found that for which I'm looking. I'm hoping someone here has on my behalf.

Quite frankly, I'm looking for an app that will display what my Garmin car GPSs display. Maybe there is an app that is configurable. I would like my main screen to show the map and 1) distance to destination, 2) distance to and identity of next turn/road/highway, 3) Current speed and, maybe, 4) time of day. I can find apps that will display one or two of those; but, not all or most. Does anybody here have any known options for this. Waze appears to be the closest I've found.

I have several handheld GPS units and several automobile GPS units and use those sometimes. My goal is to also find a smartphone app with the options I desire. Please note, I'm not looking for creating and downloading routes or saving and recording routes. I do that with others. I'm looking for navigating from one known address to another or one known city to another with the aforementioned information associated therewith on the screen. Thanks in advance.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought OSMand+ on Android did that if you wanted.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    It does but you have to tell it what you want to see.
    20170814_173131.jpg
    As an example that is distance to next waypoint, distance to destination, elevation, and recorded distance (that was a relatively big day) I don't have speed on there, but its displayable as well.

Locus pro does as well with the dashbaord editor/navigation panel. (though I don't have any screen shots of that one) It will do roadnames if you build yourself Graphhopper vector tables, BRouter doesn't do road names ....in addition to next turn range and turn after turn range.
  4. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TomTom Go is an app that pretty much mirrors their standalone satnav. The Android version ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.gplay.navapp) is for me at least, better than the IOS version because it provides for importing GPX files and storing routes while the IOS version does not.

It does what you ask for and more, including for example provide your actual average speed in zones where average speed cameras are in use. Being a phone-based app, traffic and speed camera data are continually updated.

It does require an inexpensive annual sub but for me, it is totally worth it. There is a free trial period.
    scootertrog and Suncoaster like this.
  5. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    iGO navigation is another app that does pretty much the same as the GPS device.
    I prefer Osmand on the phone but iGO on the car satnav.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the last time I used Google maps it displayed
    ETA
    speed limit
    road signs
    but not current speed

I have installed a separate application that floats a speedometer on top of Google maps. it worked well.
  7. BigSky!

BigSky! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. A couple of the aforementioned I already have and will need to delve into them more for functionality. It seems there are a couple of apps that when obtaining their paid version, other options are made available. Thanks again for the input so far. Hopefully others seeking the same will benefit.