1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Smitty's back, and need info on Thailand, so boys help a girl out please!

Discussion in 'Asia' started by dsmitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. dsmitty

dsmitty motorcycle soul

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,
    For those of you who I haven't met through my mostly solo adventure of Canada and Alaska, here is some background.

Last summer, I had the opportunity to spend 33 days and 6800 miles riding the wild north. Because of some great folks here at ADV, my trip was flawless. The guys I met from Anchorage even threw a BBQ for me. I was grateful for all the beta I received, and all the encouragement.

So, my next trip, I leave to celebrate my 40th birthday in Thailand. I get to Bangkok on the 16th of January. I would like to ride up north and then down the beaches. I have already been told, not to rent a bike in Bangkok. And this time I am taking a buddy who also rides. Any advice on where to get bikes, travel info, anything that you guys think would be of help.

Thanks ahead of time, I will get the trip report done faster this time and hopefully with lots of pics of those topless Europeans!!
  2. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Hey there neighbor, You a lucky gal spending a birfday in Thailand. My wife and I spent five weeks in there a year or two ago. I would suggest renting a bike in Chaing Mai and doing a tour of the north. We did a five day loop through Pii, Mae Hong Song,etc. All but the last day was some serious twisty Mt. riding. Think Red Mt. pass being ten times as long and Jungly! Chang Mai is pretty easy to get in and out of. Lots of rental places, I think we spent fifty bucks for a Yamaha 400 street bike for five days including two helmets. We also rented a 125 scooter and took it to the highest point in Thailand, a couple hours out of Chang Mai. This was very slow going on the way up but a total blast coming down. We have lots of paper pics and more info if you want to call or come by sometime. Also when you go south, from Bangkok, take the train if you have time. It will double as a night of lodging, pretty dang comfy for a train. Read up on how to behave around Thais, this goes a long way. Always smile, even when trying to talk a Tuk Tuk driver down to 50 cents for a cross town jaunt. Try and avoid just paying whatever you get quoted it will seem cheap enough but if you are paying more than the locals do it just hurts them. For example, If you end up down south and need to take Long tail boat rides, find out what the locals pay for theses rides to get back and forth to work.etc. If Farang keep paying twice as much then the boat drivers do not want to deal with hauling locals around for half as much.

Good luck and don't forget to get some 5 cent sleeping pills for the flight home!!!
  3. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Topless Europeans :huh - no thanks, plenty of local talent down under :lol3

Not sure if this l;ink will help you much - I met Tom Forde in the Middle of Australia as he was starting his Sojourn - You may be able to find some good info or at least get a feel for the place - Tom writes a good blog - all the best and enjoy the 'Naughty Forties' :1drink

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/forde/
  4. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    I see Thiland beat the Baja . Good one Denise, life begins at 40. Cheers Toddy
  5. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    :shog Hey You Out There :augie
  6. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:

She might be in love some where Hacky , seen bike show pics , wont be long now and you guys will be out riding again. Toddy
  7. mujiburrahman

mujiburrahman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just keep on riding
  8. Frankko

Frankko Midnight Rambler

Oddometer:

www.rideasia.net KTM phil is in Chiang Mai and has a ton of info. Also www.GT-rider.com
  9. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Hay how u dowin?

I live in BKK and have ridden all over this country. Best bet is to fly to Chiang Mai and rent a bike up there. Get yourself some of the GT-rider maps and start planning. Mae hong son loop is not to be missed nor is the Golden Triangle. Click on the links in my sig block for some RR's and an idea of what it's like to ride here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Canoli