Smokey Mountain 500 - Mostly Pics

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by KYwoodsrider, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:11 AM.

1. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my third time riding the Smokey Mountain 500.
    First time was solo on a DR650
    [​IMG]

Last year with @BackroadsOnly on my Super Tenere
    [​IMG]

Last week BackroadsOnly and I were going to do it again. He has a KTM 690 and I now have a CRF450L
    DSC01311.JPG
    DSC01310.JPG
    We started on 6/23 going clockwise from Cherahala Trails Campground and before we covered the first mile this happened to the KTM
    DSC01312.JPG
    Do to a crankcase pressure issue the clutch cover access cover blew off and into the brush on the side of the road. We unsuccessfully searched for it for almost an hour before giving up. Back Roads had no choice but to head home and I continued on solo.

Day one was pretty uneventful. Some rain but overall a nice day. Pictures between CMTCG and Ironhorse MC Lodge
    DSC01313.JPG

DSC01320.JPG
    DSC01315.JPG
    DSC01322.JPG
    DSC01323.JPG
    DSC01326.JPG
  2. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    Day 2
    This is my favorite section.
    Pictures between Iron horse and Two Wheels of Suches

DSC01331.JPG
    DSC01334.JPG
    DSC01336.JPG
    DSC01338.JPG DSC01340.JPG

DSC01341.JPG
    And the famous Charlies Creek section
    First the river crossing. Even though there had been a fair amount of rain the river was still fairly low at the crossing.
    This is from the middle of the river
    DSC01342.JPG
    And the section after the crossing has some nasty places
    DSC01345.JPG
    and a long rocky downhill in the direction I was traveling. This goes on for maybe another mile.
    DSC01346.JPG
    It started raining really hard later in the day. It was late and I decided to pass up the last section before heading to Two Wheels. This is also one of the best parts of the route. I guess it gives me a reason to come back.
    DSC01347.JPG
    Emgo and BaldKnob like this.
  3. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    Day 3
    Heading back to CMTCG the weather was nicer. It did rain most of the night however
    After a few mile this section starts to get rocky
    DSC01351.JPG
    Then it get really rocky for 3-4 miles
    DSC01352.JPG
    Some nice scenery. Two bears ran across the road right before this pic. I just missed hitting the second one.
    DSC01355.JPG
    Also some nice overlooks along this section
    DSC01361.JPG
    Conasuga Lake and campground is just off the route. It would make a nice camping spot.
    DSC01364.JPG
    Another overlook
    DSC01369.JPG
    The adventure starts when things stop following the plan
    DSC01370.JPG
    I was able to remove my luggage and cut away some of the smaller branches with the small folding saw.
    DSC01371.JPG
    Just enough room to push the bike underneath. My understanding is that the tree has since been cleared
    DSC01372.JPG
    Later on I came upon this. Forest Service workers were there and directed me to a re-route. They said the road had washed out. Riders have since posted
    that it is possible to get around this
    DSC01373.JPG
    Fast1 likes this.
  4. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    It took me about 45 minutes to reroute and get back on the tracks.
    My last picture before heading back to Cherahala Mountain Trails CG.
    460 miles total.
    If your looking for a nice trip that's not too difficult try out the Smokey Mountain 500
    The tracks are here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/smokey-mountain-500.926507/
    DSC01374.JPG
    Cigar, BaldKnob, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the tracks and I bet you are glad you continued on solo. Any changes you are thinking of making to the moto based on getting a good ride in on it?
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Thanks for posting. Too bad about your Buddy but I would have gone straight to Wally World or a Dollar store for duct tape and a tin pie plate. No reason to abandon ship so easily.:nod
    KYwoodsrider likes this.
  7. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty happy with the bikes stock engine and exhaust. I really like how quite it is and the great fuel milage. The only other mod I'm considering would be the heavier flywheel.
    I do plan some tweaking with the luggage. Currently I wear an Ogio vest primarily for the hydration and to carry a few extra things.
    I may add some small Wolfman Rollies to the panniers and just use the vest for day trips where I don't have the panniers.
  8. KYwoodsrider

Oddometer:
    A pie plan is pretty sophisticated. We were talking about flattening out a beer can and some JB weld but he decided against it. However it is a nice bike and it would be a shame to trash the motor by losing all of the oil.
    There will be other rides.
    B10Dave likes this.