Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a Detour to avoid the Patterson Gap Road closure

Attached Files:

PYG RYDR likes this.
  2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Citico Creek loop had a tree down TUE 8/28[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  3. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    I tried this detour yesterday. Going from east to west, the last section (turn on to dirt be cemetary), was closed by a forest service gate about 1 mile from the paved road. The bypass stiil works if you keep going straight to Mellie Keener Road and turn rigjt there.
  4. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks andy29847

I changed the detour file in my post so it avoids the closed gate.
    Here it is again.

Attached Files:

andy29847 likes this.
  5. andy29847

Oddometer:
    I went jeeping around Dillard, Ga this week. I saw several MC riders I thought were riding the SM500. I rode the red section from waypoints 314 to 327. I found that the hill that starts the Charlie's Creek section (near waypoint 315) is getting pretty knarly. There is a lot of loose dirt and rocks. Some of the ruts are getting some size to them. You need to be paying attention to what you are doing when you start up the hill. Going down the hill is easy. You will stop rolling at the bottom. :) The rest of the Charlie's Creek section is in good shape. The mudholes are almost dry. The water at the river is low. The section called Patterson Gap, between waypoints 318 and 319, is still closed. Several guys on motorcycles have rode around the "road closed" signs and ridden the section anyway. The washout on the section is bad enough to block cars, but MC can get through. In NC, if they catch you riding around a road closed sign, the fine is ~$200. They don't seem to care that much in GA. That might change when repair work starts. If you get stopped, DO NOT tell the police I said it was OK. :) The next 2 dirt sections are in good shape.
    PYG RYDR and DCTFAN like this.
  6. Jbrowning

Jbrowning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ready

Attached Files:

DCTFAN and VPS1 like this.
  7. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Five of us met on the FB SM500 page and rode MON8/27 from Suches, GA
    Ran it clockwise, and most of it seemed equally good:
    GAS GUY, andy29847, PYG RYDR and 4 others like this.
  8. Geobeemer

Geobeemer Extra Pieces?

Oddometer:
    Guys, I think I want to take a few days off from work, leave Chicago area, visit daughter in Nashville and then trailer my KLR over to the SM500 somewhere. Anyone have any tips on where I could store my truck and trailer in the area for a few days while I ride the area? I thought about calling one of the campgrounds to see if they would be willing to let me store it there (of course paying for a night or two of camping) and then ride out from there and back which would mean the west side of the loop somewhere. The timeframe is the week of October 15th to ride the SM500. I would also like to meet up with others that week if anyone is planning a trip around the same time.

All suggestions welcomed except me riding the KLR from Chicago to Nashville to the SM500 :D
  9. andy29847

Oddometer:
    One of the marked stops on the SM500 is Cherohala Mountain Trails CG in Tellico Plains, TN. The owner/operator, Wayne, has always been very good to SM500 riders. Maybe that is because Wayne is an SM500 rider himself. Give him a call as soon as you know your plan. Mid-Oct is peak season for tourism in this part of the world. I like to stay in one pf his cabins. He also has a great spot for tent camping.

[​IMG]
    Jbrowning likes this.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    First class.
    Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains, TN. See post 409
  11. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    Couple of creek crossings...

justBert, gulfcoaster and B-Mac like this.
  12. Geobeemer

Geobeemer Extra Pieces?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Andy and B-Mac for the suggestions. I sent a note to Wayne and hopefully we can work something out. I will be solo and really want a safe place to leave my truck and trailer and since so many of you have stayed there I can’t ask for a better reference.

The trails look solo friendly but if I am wrong someone please let me know.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  13. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden the loop as of yet even after 4 attempts (long story) but from what I have seen from RR and this thread I don't see why not. Since I can't seen to wrangle my friends long enough to make the entire loop my wife and I are going to attempt it two-up. I say give it a go and take a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geobeemer likes this.
  14. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    I’ve run it solo and I’ve run it with friends. It’s doable either way but just more enjoyable with company.
    gulfcoaster and BryceB like this.
  15. andy29847

Oddometer:
    The route is on public roads. Some of the roads take you into remote areas. I have ridden on this route for hours and not seen anyone else along the way. Knowing this, if you ride by yourself, you need to be entirly self reliant.
  16. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When do you plan on arriving in Tellico Plains?
  17. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice vids. I wonder what those folks think about all the adventure riders on their driveway.
  18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    I don't know about other areas, but 8of10 of the folks in cagers you meet on the SM500
    know to share the road and show it, by letting you pass safely.
    Just may be my experience; but unfortunately, the remaining 20% don't care or are complete a$$holes.
  19. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    I ran it solo in 2 days earlier this year on my KLR. This time of year, I'd take 3 since you run out of daylight. The creek crossing on Witt Rd in Tellico Plains was the only place that kind of bothered me... it's slick and I've had issues sliding down stream before. never dumped it there but have watched others. The rough stuff on Charlie's Creek can be a handful of its muddy.

I had trees down on Kimsey Mountain Highway. I was damn glad to see a local couple cutting one big one up that I'd have to turn around on and they were damn glad to see me stop to help. It would have been a hell of a place to turn around at.
    Geobeemer, gulfcoaster and DCTFAN like this.
  20. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    DIdnt mean to imply anything negative about it. I agree, mostly friendly encounters. I’ve enjoyed parts of it.