Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Neither did I; imply anything negative.
    In fact, last time one of the group had a flat tire in front of one of the homes along Yellow Creek Rd.,
    the whole n'hood came out trying to lend us tools and help.
    But then, there are those that have issues with motorcycles in general; who knows why?
    jrou111 likes this.
  2. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    The second video is on Helton Creek falls rd. There are hundreds of vehicles going down their “driveway” every weekend to see the falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know. I didn’t mean anything bad about it. Actually I’ve been there.

Really, just seems kind of funny, finding Adventure on someone’s road. But, hey, I do it too.

I need to be more careful with my humor.
  4. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    These are all public roads. There is no private roads on the SM500 let alone"someone's driveway".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  5. Woodyxr

Woodyxr WoodyXR

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride this Oct 19,20,21. Anyone interested? I'm coming from SC and plan on riding CCW starting with the red. I'm open for other options as well.
    PM me if interested.
  6. Geobeemer

Geobeemer Extra Pieces?

Oddometer:
    Ran the SM500 this week and met up with 2 great guys from the forum! The trail was in great shape and you guys were right, this is something that could be ridden alone but it is a lot more fun with other folks. Unfortunately the trees were just starting to change colors so those of you who still want to see the fall colors still have a great opportunity in the next 10 days. I won't give the guys names up but I am the squinting one on the left and it was a pleasure riding with the other two gentlemen, one from Central TN and the other from SC. Hope to meet up again one day, maybe Moab!

Attached Files:

7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I rode it last week also, with 5 other guys. Great ride (897 miles) We rode a modified version that included some tougher sections. Only had rain one day in the afternoon. North Georgia was really nice. We stayed 2 nights at Two Wheels of Suches and rode the area there. 2 nights at the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains and one night at Iron Horse. 3 DR650's, 1 WR250R, 1 Husq 701, 1 Husq 501. nobody crashed and no flat tires. one broken masterlink (mine) easily fixed with a spare carried in the tool bag.

Highly recommend this ride
    PYG RYDR and justBert like this.
  8. VARider67

VARider67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would there be any gates closed mid-November on this route? If the weather holds out and plans come together, I'm thinking of either the weekend of Nov 10th or 17th.
  9. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of videos of us riding the Route last week.

10. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    The gated roads are generally in the national and state forest. NC seems to be the only state that has a seasonal schedule for closing some roads, but I don't think any of the SM500 roads are on their list. Generally, when a road is closed, it is in response to road conditions. The state and national forest roads crews have been very slow to repair their roads, most likely due to budget restrictions. Patterson Gap, between waypoints 318 - 319 is the only closure I know about. Motorcycles can and have been riding around the signs and the slide in this section. All SM500 riders need to have a mapping capability to allows them to re-route in the event a road on the route is closed. FWIW, riding in November means you need to watch out for black ice at the higher elevations, especially on FS81 near the Cherohala Skyway (500'). Also, many of the campgrounds along the route close for the winter starting around NOV 1. Make sure you have lodging arranged for your ride.

[​IMG]
    pir8liner likes this.
  11. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Smokey Mountains 750 - a 5 day ride. Extended from the SM500. Includes stops at Blue ridge Motorcycles CG and Mile High CG. Note that many businesses along the route are seasonal. Also not that all roads are 2 way. Also note that the closer you get to Asheville, the heaviers the traffic gets. Watch for hikers, fishermen, bicyclist, climbers, jeepers, etc. Be nice.

Attached Files:

12. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Appreciate all the work on this. Gonna have to wait on the water to go down in some spots.

Crossing on Harmon Den near I 40 is impassable last time I was there. May be different now.

Heintooga Ridge is a nice ride too, starts at Mile High CG.
  13. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Heintooga ridge Rd is one of my favorites. One of the resons I like it so much is that it is one way. It's nice not to have to worry too much about what's around the next corner. The road closes every year. I thing from NOV 1 to May1.

[​IMG]
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Stayed at Mile High for a couple days and rode Heintooga. Fun road.

[​IMG]

Taken at Mile High Campground.
  15. penzone

penzone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent update. I've been tracking this thread for a while. I can live through others until my life allows for time to go out on this adventure.

One suggestion, you may consider editing the original post and adding this up there too. It will be easier to find for folks new to the forum looking for great rides.
  16. andy29847

Oddometer:

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think you can put up 2 files on the same post. Anyway, this isn't really an update. Some of the guys over on the Facebook Group page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/698628080200070/ ) asked about some extra days and I did the SM750 for them. I posted the gpx file on Facebook, but it wouldn't download on the guys phone or tablet from there. If there is a lot of interest in the 5 day ride, I'll start another Facebook Group page and a thread here on ADVrider for the ride.
    onesaintsfan, gulfcoaster and scfrank like this.
  17. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I've been on that road in April several times. Not sure what the "usual" winter closing dates are, or maybe it's weather dependent.

And you still need to worry at least a little about what's around the next corner; more than once I've encountered brainless dipshits in Jeeps coming up it the wrong way.

Even deep in the woods the bastards are trying to kill us...
  18. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Here is the schedule form the park service -
    • Heintooga Ridge Road: Open May 10 - October 30, 2017 for hiker access. Subject to additional closures December 1 - 31 and March 11-31, 2018 due to snow, ice or muddy conditions. The Balsam Mountain Campground and Picnic area will open May 18, 2018.
    About the dipshits going the wrong way....my last time I met a park ranger coming up the road backwards.
  19. Marbleminer

Marbleminer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really fun when you are there on the first day they open the gate for the new season in the spring! No one is there! It was a great ride!
    PYG RYDR and scfrank like this.
  20. ssbogger

ssbogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is any of this route closed during part of the year?