Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. wigglewerks

wigglewerks n00b

Oddometer:
  2. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So when we going to do this? @Quinn Otte is in on the Tiger and Blake/Ryan are in depending on dates. I think arranging dates will be the biggest challenge. It would be ~5 days if you include the ride there.
    wigglewerks likes this.
  3. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    Just a heads up Witt road has fresh gravel from the creek crossings to hwy 68 by Tellico, some places it's 6" deep, and very loose, the good news is they fixed the long rocky uphill, as of last week the water was really low......
    Ptjeep and andy29847 like this.
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    You guys be sure to pack things down. Ill be there in about 3 weeks
  5. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    We are going Nov. 22nd-26th with three days planned of riding 23rd, 24th, and 25th. Starting at Suches and going counterclockwise and looks like it will be fun and hopefully not too chilly.
  6. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completed this week running clockwise from CMTC. Excellent route and kudos for those involved with the development. As always, be careful as oncoming vehicles sometimes take their fair share of the road.
  7. wigglewerks

wigglewerks n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning on doing this over a weekend, Suches has a 2 night minimum on the weekends if you use the Lodge or Cabins. AnyHotels nearby recommended?
  8. Ptjeep

Ptjeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and a few others did the green and red sections over the weekend. We live near Tellico so didn't bother with the yellow since we have ridden that stuff many times. Had a blast and hate that we waited so long to do it. The section between Suches and Iron Horse was absolutely amazing. I’ll be going back soon and taking the wife to see it 2-up. Thanks for the route!!
    VPS1 likes this.
  9. ksmoker2

ksmoker2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's really weather dependent and changes ever year but in general is the route doable the early December? I've done it once already in April last year counterclockwise and would like to do it clockwise. Have a week of vacation to burn. From Louisiana it'll either be there or Arkansas.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 2016 we did the loop in late Nov and it was great. All depends on the weather at the time. Not as much rain this year as last so AM temps and daytime high is what I would keep an eye on. I love this time of the year, No bug's and leaves cover the rocky section.:-)
    Tortuga353, ksmoker2 and PYG RYDR like this.
  11. ksmoker2

ksmoker2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.
  12. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago I was looking for a back road to ride my bicycle and noticed on the map the little broken line from Upper Hightower Rd. over to Tate City, eventually coming out on Persimmon Rd, and back to Hwy 76. Looked easy enough on the map so I took my '02 Moto Guzzi LeMans up Charlie Creek Rd. Made it as far as the first water crossing when I decided it was time to turn around, was expecting a bridge over the water, not water over the road for a creek crossing and the vision of ventilating the oil pan didn't have much appeal either.
    Recently bought an '18 KLX250 and decided it was time to give it another go so this past Friday a buddy on his DR650 and I made the trek over the mountains and thru the woods, and water. For some reason the road seemed alot smoother this time.
    Can't believe I never noticed this thread before when Upper Hightower and Charlie Creek are literally in my back yard! If anyone is over this way and looking for a riding buddy shoot me a PM or give me a shout out over on the KLX250 Next Gen thread. Ride safe guys.
    AlH, ScorpionT16, Tortuga353 and 2 others like this.
  13. PitMyShants!

PitMyShants! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks awesome. Hope to do it in the Spring
  14. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had me scratching my head- there is another Charlies Creek Rd about 50 miles ENE in NC. I've ridden that area a bunch of times- have not ventured into GA yet on my DR650
  15. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two different roads and two different spellings
    Charleys Creek Rd in NC is asphalt between Hwy 215 & Hwy 281
    Charlies Creek Rd in GA is dirt. It crosses the AT at the high spot and has a Tallulah river crossing at the eastern end

Tallulah River (Medium).JPG

Doug
    PYG RYDR and B-Mac like this.
  16. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the NC one is paved, since I've ridden it a lot- and I also stated after looking they are 2 different roads.

As for spelling - The one in NC has 2 different spellings depending on where you look-

The attachment below is from Google Maps - they call it Charleys Creek Rd in the text and the Charley's Creek Rd on their map.

charleys creek.JPG
  17. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Cold weather testing this morning for the SM500. I would say successful but need better neck and face shield. Probably a little cooler than 26 degrees and my goal was comfort and it was achieved. Just listened to tunes and now I know I can handle pretty cold with the gear I have and can shed a few layers for the trip! Ride out on Nov 23rd CCW from Suches!

05942FC1-F33C-46CB-8946-41A0F3EECDF6.jpeg

2C9463CC-EB2E-47C1-983D-A196C70FC770.jpeg
  18. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    Besides staying warm, you need to watch out for black ice. Wet areas at higher altitudes in the morning are the danger points. Going CCW, FS81, the first dirt after the Ironhorse, where it gets near 5000' and the Cherohala Skyway, has thrown me on the ground before. We had to go up the side of the road where there was snow.
  19. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did the 500 a few years ago over the first weekend in December and had sunny 50s - 60s for the whole ride. I wish I lived closer because I'd do this ride a couple of times a year. I grew up in N. Georgia and it always feels like I'm close to home when I'm in that area.
  20. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think we’ll be in upper 30’s and mid 50’s for most of the ride. Just wanted to be prepared if the temps dipped at elevation. We’ll certainly take caution for black ice and other hazards at winter conditions. Should be fun!