1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
  2. LoneWolfNick

LoneWolfNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im planning on hitting thia trail the week after you probably the 29th to the 1st. Kind of a Thanksgiving trip for myself, hope everything goes well
    Tortuga353 likes this.
  3. ksmoker2

ksmoker2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Us to. Planning to arive in Tellico Plains on Saturday the 30th and starting the 500 Sunday or Monday. Hoping for good weather!
  4. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SM500 was awesome and I even enjoyed Saturday when it rained all day. It made some otherwise maybe boring roads pretty fun. Wet rocks, slimy mud, wet leaves, and some huge puddles. My buddies Husqvarna's clutch slave bit the dust about 65 miles in as we approached Dillard GA. He then ended up going down in a huge puddle with an unexpected dip and some whiskey throttle. Soaked head to toe and no clutch so I rode in front of him through all the river crossings, mud, and puddles to try and show him some lines. It was interesting trying to be safe and blow all the stop signs into Dillard. Pretty busy town. We bought some brake fluid but no success he was toast. When we arrived we lost our other two one on a DRZ400 and the other @Quinn Otte on a Tiger 800. He ended up going down on a really slick downhill and tearing his hammy and the @wigglewerks DRZ400 helped him up.

We all made the call to stop and eat at the Dillard House and regroup for some decisions. They were super hospital for 4 drowned rats coming in with soaked gear and an aura of defeat about us. They designated a whole room for us to change and charge our phones. The warm and dry environment was a life saver. It took us 5 hours to go half way. We were cold, wet, and wanting like we planned to just all be able to finish together. We thought up a lot of plans and called everywhere for a clutch slave to no avail and decided to split ways.

He and the broken clutch dumb and dumbered back to Suches on the Tiger. We pressed on and finished the 500 in the three days. It is tough in the wet, then cold, and shorter days to finish in three days. In optimal conditions it would have been quite a bit easier. The remainder of the trip was great and pretty much incident free. We stayed at the Iron Horse and Cherohala Motorcycle Campground's in cabins and it was great to have a dry and warm room to dry our gear. My boots and gloves never dried so the Skyway on Sunday was cold. Also the Outland Gas station before the Skyway doesn't open until 10am. We sat there for 30 minutes but ended up being "ok" as we both added multiple more layers. It was cold and a bit of snow at elevation. The ride wasn't too scenic for us as Saturday was foggy and raining, Sunday was cold and foggy, and by Monday we had hero dirt and I was about shredding and not looking around too much. Maybe the go pro will give me some of the views I missed. We rode CCW and I will certainly do it again!

I'd like to explore some of the single-track so if I had to pick one of the three main locations for a one day base camp for some free riding where should that be?

sm500-1.jpg sm500-2.jpg sm500-3.jpg sm500-4.jpg sm500-5.jpg sm-500-5.jpg sm500-6.jpg sm500-7.jpg sm500-8.jpg sm500-9.jpg sm500-10.jpg sm500-11.jpg sm500-12.jpg sm500-13.jpg sm500-15.jpg sm500-16.jpg sm500-17.jpg sm500-18.jpg sm500-14.jpg
    MaddMatt, Dao1, justBert and 15 others like this.
  5. dbhodgesiii

dbhodgesiii n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Facebook link is currently unavailable 12/8/2019. I plan to sign up. Looks like some great routes!
  6. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    I have read through nearly all 33 pages of this thread and saw some workarounds due to some gates. Some had a GPX but has there been an updated GPX file to update the whole route. I may try to make it down this spring.
  7. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    Let's get a group up when your ready
  8. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really awesome work - had a hard time looking for new places to ride until I downloaded a few GPS tracks. For last Sunday, got a late start but was determined to do the Red section. I saw I was actually driving on the track, so pulled off and found a 'short cut' that adds a few dirt miles and avoids some pavement . . . SM500 red-X2.jpg IMG_0881.png

Then back on the red, pavement until finally things get interesting. The hill climb is good stuff. Couple of puddles, no problem here . .
    IMG_3428.JPG

but at this river . . .

IMG_0882.png

I hit this - not sure where to go!
    IMG_3429.JPG

I turned around - could not see the depth - or where the road continues. I did see the road (up off the bank), but not where to cross. Headed back to the truck, loaded onto hitch carrier then over to Suches two wheel - which is closed up for the winter. Ran over to JRR's bbq - they were just closing so headed on to Cleveland for some food. THEN back up to Desoto Falls for camping - I was the only person there. The campsite now requires online reservations/payment . . . but it is out of cell range. I don't mind paying $10 for camping, just don't make it impossible to do so! (no envelopes and drop box taped up).

Instead of heading to Suches, should have headed over to Blairsville - sunrise grocery for food (if open) - and it looks like there is camping along Wolf Creek Rd.

So, looks like I need to head back to the area . . . then try the Yellow, green . . . .

Thanks again for the effort of putting this together!

Kevin.

Also did the Hartford area - up to Hall's Top Mountain and around.

Attached Files:

9. andy29847

Oddometer:

From where you were, go downstream for 40-50 yards and the turn towards the far bank when you see the path out. The best path is L shaped. You can choose a direct line, but the water is deeper.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-k9b3G9T/0/9ed9fa95/640/i-k9b3G9T-640.mp4
    Buildzall, AlH, PYG RYDR and 2 others like this.
  10. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, looks like a parade :photog

Probably easier than it looked, but this is where I need a riding buddy to "go first."
    Have to go back and do the 500 loop.

Buildzall and scfrank like this.
  11. Buildzall

Buildzall Rooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Video, water alittle low.

Typical level seen here.
    From where you were standing and looking right, downstream, you can see (shenanagans)
    IMG_3452-2.jpg
    the shoreline and, laying out in the stream bed there in the background, those outer curb rocks that mark the downstream side of travel line.
    (Also seen in that video)
    Use those for depth guage.

Your pic, water up,
    Prob 12" deep on the "shallow" route.
    Consistent small rock bottom - miss the big rocks that are like the outer curb of the travel lane.
    There is regular traffic thru the river.
    going moderate speed is your friend.

( you made the right call not crossing )
    kvango and scfrank like this.
  12. jammer4

jammer4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Will this load into a Garmin 86i ?
  13. andy29847

Oddometer:
    I don’t know the 86i. A quick look at the online info makes me think it doesn’t have road maps. Not having a road map would make things harder. Have you tried loading a fox file to the 86i?
  14. jammer4

jammer4 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm still in the research mode fro buying a GPS unit. If the 86i won;t take maps, I'm not interested. I'd love to hear of anyone else's recommendations about nav units that accept rider maps. Thx!
  15. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
  16. BluegrassADV_GB

BluegrassADV_GB The Meat Drip

Oddometer:
    Plans forming up to do the SM500 in May. I know the different color tracks are considered "a day's ride" I'm wondering how many hours per day people are putting in on average. We are planning on May 8-9-10 leaving home in Northern Kentucky early on the 8th. Start the 500 in Telico Plains after riding about 5 hours on the slab and camping at Twos in Suches, GA that evening. Suches to Iron Horse on the 9th. Iron Horse to Telico and then sprinting back home on the 10th. Will be 2 experienced offroad riders on a KTM 790 and 1090 with a newer guy tagging along on the KLR.
  17. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why an 86i marine unit?

Do you want both inreach capability and gps nav?

I have a 64st bought used and can load this map...
  18. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone planning on doing the sm500 anytime in March / April??
  19. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We’re doing the half the red section April 4th. Riding Tallulah river ~Dillard to Robbinsville and the back to Dillard to Camp.

might do whole loop again in May.
    BluegrassADV_GB likes this.
  20. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weekends are tough for me, i was trying to do something during the week. I may go at it alone In this case. If anything changes let me know, I’ll keep my ears open