Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ishirock

ishirock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to ride what I can in the 3 days of June 14-16. Any advice on riding an Africa Twin 2 up with knobs? I have the experience, just don't like pickin the pig up or hurtin my gal. What sections should I skip?
  2. Woodyxr

Woodyxr WoodyXR

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding the 500 this weekend? I was planning on it but it seems campgrounds will be closed and possibly roads limited to residents only. Any thoughts?
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I saw that Cherokee NF closed all campgrounds, picnic areas and bathrooms.
  4. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    As did the Pisgah and Nantahala NF's

Uwharrie and Croatan NF campgrounds closed too, but they aren't near the SM500 so..
  5. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at north mills recreation area (Pisgah) as well as uwharrie on Friday and there were people who camped at both of those forests. I saw more people out that day than the last time I went to uwharrie. The picnic areas were closed but it didn’t stop people from camping.
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm betting they will be gone soon.
  7. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    The announcement was Sunday with the actual date of closing today so yeah they probably aren't there now.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc/alerts-notices
  8. ckomatz

ckomatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any alternative tracks for this route, like roadbooks?

I want to ride it but do not want to go through the hassle of getting a cheap smartphone/mount and other nonsense to navigate.
  9. desabrir

desabrir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We were trying to do the SM500 while we had time off from work. We had to call it quits because we were afraid of getting trapped.

We ran into a roadblock I'm NC trying to get to Iron Horse where the red segment ended. We were pushing because we figure we could just primitive camp on their grounds while they were closed and drop them some cash.

We were approx 5 miles away and ran into a roadblock. The police said they were only letting residents of the county to enter. So we decided to turn back around and high tail it back to GA where we're from. We stayed in the first hotel we saw because it was late and we needed a place to sleep. We were mostly afraid other countries in NC would start putting up roadblocks and didn't want to get stuck trying to make some huge detour.

Other than that, we had a lot of fun completing the red section. IMG_20200416_194027.jpg IMG_20200416_193935.jpg IMG_20200416_134305.jpg IMG_20200416_231308.jpg IMG_20200416_231144.jpg
    dcwilcox, jmcdonou and Emgo like this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd heard that Graham County was limiting access.
  11. desabrir

desabrir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, Graham County. They have like 4 roads. It was not the best thing you want to hear at sundown.
  12. jmcdonou

jmcdonou n00b

Oddometer:
    Desabrir,

Thanks for stopping. I had the flat on 197 at Dicks Creek.

Had never heard of the SM500. Thanks for letting me know. It’s on the list.

Looks like you had a great trip
  13. desabrir

desabrir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heya! I had some slime and an airpump. Wish I had caught ya'll before your GF went to get your stuff. BTW, the BBQ at that BBQ place down the street from there was really good.

We were on the Georgia Traverse https://www.georgiaoverland.com/map.html at that point and we had to make a detour b/c they closed a forest road and that the only reason we came that way. Glad you were ok!
  14. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground is taking reservation starting My 8th. TWO of Suches is open too. Now we just need to wait out the National Forests... and I'm sure a few other things.
    justBert likes this.
  15. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a place just above Robbinsville and there was a small window opportunity between storms so I rode the red route down to where it crosses over hyway 64 and it was wide open, no check point, locked gates or any other indications of travel restrictions. I will head out on the yellow route towards TN in a day or so once the weather clears so MTF.
    Tortuga353 and From Scratch like this.
  16. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode the yellow route from Robbinsville to the TN line, gates were open but a big tree across Old Santeetlah Rd. Small bikes can squeeze through on the right side.

81 tree.jpg
  17. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

This is a video I put together from our trip in November. It was so awesome and can’t wait to do it again. I’m excited that it seems we might be able soon! This page and route is much appreciated and all the shops, cabins, and facilities along the way. Hope to do the KAT as well soon.

PS sorry for the water on the lens, but it was pouring especially for the beginning and wiping a wet lens with a wet glove didn’t do much.
  18. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm heading down on Thursday to check this track out. So excited the bike is already packed. 20200511_143711.jpg
  19. BluegrassADV_GB

BluegrassADV_GB The Meat Drip

Oddometer:
    Cancelled our plans for May 8-9-10 but shooting for May 30-31 and June 1 now. Hopefully things are more normal in a couple weeks.
  20. LoneWolfNick

LoneWolfNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone planning to ride this memorial day weekend? I'm going to attempt but with all this rain in the forecast has me second guessing...