1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are still planning on this time frame, bear in mind that The Hooch Dual Sport ride will be hosted out of TWO Suches 13 & 14 June. Quite a bit more traffic than usual in and around Suches.
    justBert likes this.
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Announced today

restaurants can now open at 50% for the next 5 weeks
    No bars or gyms
  3. BluegrassADV_GB

BluegrassADV_GB The Meat Drip

Oddometer:
    Committed to May 30 - June 1. Excited to finally give the SM500 a go. Hoping things dry out a little before next weekend but forecasts do not look to promising..
    From Scratch likes this.
  4. jammer4

jammer4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Noob here. Will be riding the SM500 in a few weeks, and need advice. Have downloaded the V7 GPX of the route, and imported into OSMand nav app on my Kyocera Duraforce Pro. Have no issues getting it to start guidance, even thru my Sena Bluetooth setup. So far, so good. Here’s where I’m confused. 1) Is there an easy way to reverse the direction of the track in case I want to make the tour around the opposite way? And 2) I ran a few miles on the southern side of the SM500 as a trial, and learned that the OSMand app Works well, but goes overboard with voice guidance, urging me to “keep left or right” at virtually every curve in the road. (really annoying) Is there a way to shut that prompt down unless there’s an actual turn choice?
  5. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I know on the Garmin prouducts (Mapsource and Basecamp) you can "invert" track direction very easily. Maybe do it there (free to download either) and put it back in the Duro
  6. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Locus is the better app for reversing or modifying tracks. I don't use the guidance option very much I just follow the track on the screen. There is an option in Locus to reduce the amount of turn commands. I can't find that option in OSMAND. Rusty Rocket is correct, you could import the track into Basecamp and reverse it.
    Screenshot_20200522-164158.png
    Screenshot_20200522-164327.png

Attached Files:

7. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Only on and off for voice guidance. These pictures should help with reversing routes. Screenshot_20200522-190749.jpg Screenshot_20200522-190816.jpg
    Emgo, Rusty Rocket and From Scratch like this.
  8. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Quinn Otte @wigglewerks ,Jeff and I are all setting off the weekend of the June 6th. We’re leaving from TWoS and direction is TBD as well as 5th or 6th start date. 3 says of planned riding. We all did back in November and are looking forward to warmer weather, longer days, and a good time! Also some good eating spots have been thrown out on the Facebook group to check out!
    scfrank likes this.
  9. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey you guys know there is a whole forum thread dedicated to gps, right?
    https://advrider.com/f/forums/gps-101-which-gps-for-me.75/

PYG RYDR likes this.
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
  11. Pretire

Pretire n00b

Oddometer:
    Just finished SM500 counter clockwise fromIron Horse Thu-Sat 5/28-30. Really enjoyed touring and would say it’s a good mellow track fir the most part. Buckhorn Rd was pretty rutty and so e spots in No GA had slick red clay/mud else pretty straight forward. All gas options on GPX were open and accurately marked. Our moving time was 17 hrs for the full route btw. Saw very few bikes overall but two timber rattlers in the road (quite alive!), loads of turkeys and a black bear crossing the trail. So fun and would like to do again maybe in fall season.
  12. ishirock

ishirock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know a safe place where I can leave a truck near Telico Plains for a couple days? I'm planning to do the SM500 Weekend of June 13-14-15.
  13. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Packing up and checking gear. Riding starting Friday from TWoS and direction tbd based on best potential weather.

42890394-5362-40EA-AAB8-F27F67ED5483.jpeg
    42DD9196-1D39-459A-8C23-FBDC620159EA.jpeg
  14. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. flboy

flboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on above campground.We did that. Owner is a rider and a very nice guy. Great place to start and end.
    worncog, Magile and justBert like this.
  16. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon. When I download the new version v7, of the GPX tracks, they go into my Garmin Nav V no problem and I can convert them from track to route, no problem. The challenge is that I can not drop a waypoint, point of interest etc. into the new route without it completely changing on the map. Is this a settings issue or just related to the gpx converting into a route? I can "trace" the track/route and create something that allows me to modify the route but that is an extra step and a pain in the tail. Any ideas as there are lots of things on the map that I would like to put into the route. many thanks
  17. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    You probably need to perform the modification in an application before you push it to the device. And why does everyone want a 'route'? Tracks are minimal fuss and typically push well to devices. But what do I know... I am not an expert, but do fairly well with Basecamp.

As mentioned, you may find a more concise answer over here: https://advrider.com/f/forums/gps-101-which-gps-for-me.75/
    justBert likes this.
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much weight on that rear end?
  19. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    On bike or car? I loosened up the chain because it was too tight. Not sure on weight on bike but pretty much same pack list as last time.

Just guessing around 50 lbs. not heavy stuff just bulky. Tent and hammock, sleeping bag, stove, fuel, canister etc etc. The load will lighting as I brought 1.5l of bourbon for the crew and dehydrated meals I’ll eat.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  20. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    I understand using the track as you suggest. I like the route as while up on the pegs with a route, it is giving me information e.g. next turn, distance to next turn or end etc. Simply using the track does not do that and if you miss a turn, with a track, it is not instantly obvious. With a route, the gps unit will tell you (depending on the setting) that you are off.