1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Smokey Mountain 500

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get used to the gravel but all 3 times I fell over the one day I did the SM500 on my KLR were all on loose gravel parts. Also with how many tight turns there are a big bike just kind of gets in the way and you're never going to be going over 30mph.
  2. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Dirtbagging WNC, NGA and E. Tenn Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking seriously about riding this sometime in the last two weeks of September. I have a KLX250s and my buddy has a KTM 350 EXC-F. Anyone else planning around that time?
  3. jammer4

jammer4 n00b

Oddometer:
    Tons of loose gravel out there.... I did the SM500 a month or so ago on a fully loaded KLR and only dumped it once - when I ran up on a pronounced gravel berm on an off-camber hairpin. I'm new to the sport and speeds were modest, so I won't credit my riding skill to making that 500 mile trek with only one very minor incident. However, I will give a nod to the tire's ability to maintain decent stability, even on some gnarly hairpins.
  4. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I will say I was in a bit over my head trying to keep up with a group of experienced riders on much lighter more capable bikes so I was pushing my KLR really hard. You eventually get used to ripping through corners instead of trying to slow down, but it takes a bit of commitment. If I had gone out on my own and taken my time it would've been very different. That said yeah, freshly dumped gravel is really hard even if you know what you're doing.
    scfrank likes this.
  5. strange1

strange1 n00b

Oddometer:
    question. all of the pics I see of this place are of bikes, and most appear to be on dirt roads (some less maintained than others), but is this trip doable in a 4wd vehicle?
  6. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Depends” on your vehicle. I have driven chunks of it (like Witt rd) with my land cruiser and 450 on carrier. Jeeps - yes or anything with center and rear locking diffs or traction control. Just gonna take you a long time . . .
    Hurricane creek Rd is popular with 4x4’s - lots of videos on YouTube.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  7. BlankSky

BlankSky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about riding it the first weekend in October on my 450exc
  8. Hooch Alumni

Hooch Alumni n00b

Oddometer:

4 of Us Planning to leave TWO 9/21 going CCW.
  9. SwampyDeadHead

Oddometer:

Cool. I’m working on a detour route to include gravel I’ve ridden between Franklin and Whittier (east of Bryson City). Basically through Big Laurel. Camp at 5k feet. Back down next day. I’m not sure why the red colored route didn’t hit that forest road area. It would be less pavement. Great scenery up there.

We will probably leave from Elijay, GA area.
    BMWbikeh likes this.
  10. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be because of seasonal road closures in that area.
    For example FR86 - right through the middle of the Big Laurel area, closes from 12/31 until 3/15. :dunno
  11. SwampyDeadHead

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I kinda new to the area.
  12. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The general answer is yes. It's 50/50 pavement/dirt and the dirt is all forest roads. However, when I did the track in early June there were trees down across the roads everywhere, some very large. I passed a jeep group right after that long water crossing between Stecoah and Suches (southbound) and after about 10 minutes came to a big tree that I was able to slide the bike under. I waited to see what the jeepers would do....they pulled out about six chainsaws and that was that! :-)
  13. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I was on Hurricane Creek, almost a year ago, the ruts were very deep- unless you have some very large tires you are gonna high center most 4x4's.
    You can try to ride the humps between ruts- but if you slip in, likely when muddy, gonna need to winch out.
    I wouldn't take my 3" lifted 4Runner through what I saw that day:lol2

I was on my DR650 that day- and dumped it in one of those deep ruts- luckily @JRowland was with me to help get the bike out.:thumb
    JRowland, CoatsEast and Rusty Rocket like this.
  14. slick billy

slick billy n00b

Oddometer:
    Can you share the GPX files with me? I need them in the three sections. I am planning on using REVER and all the waypoints are too many for it to run.
  15. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:

The .gpx file is found on post 1. It is in 3 sections. The waypoints are part of the file.
    B-Mac likes this.
  16. kackilack

kackilack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning to ride this in the next couple weeks. From what I’m reading, it would seem that most elect to ride in a counter clockwise direction. Is there much difference in going in one direction vs the other? If one is more difficult, I’d prefer the harder route.
  17. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    The only difference I have noticed is that the Charie's Creek/Tallualah River crossing can be hard to find going clockwise.
  18. kackilack

kackilack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Copy that, @andy29847 Thanks for the reply! Now, just watching weather patterns and hoping for dry conditions...
  19. kackilack

kackilack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time-off request approved!
    Planning departure from Winston Salem 9/17. Riding solo and in CCW direction. Prolly hit TwoS first night, then hope to find dispersed campsites for next 2 nights.
    justBert likes this.
  20. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished the ride with 6 other friends 5 on bikes and 2 in a rubicon. Great trip and only things to watch out for are 2 washouts on the first day but easily passable by a bike or a jeep.....

[​IMG]
    kvango likes this.