Smokey Mountains 1000

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by andy29847, Jun 13, 2017.

1. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    The Smokey Mountains 1000 is a big bike friendly tour of the back roads of the Smokys. The route is made up of public byways and consist of dirt, gravel, two-tracker, and paved roads. The map file was first shared through the Smokey Mountains 500 page on this forum last year. The interest the ride has generated enough traffic to warrant a separate thread (from the SM500). Get out and ride, then come back here and share your stories and pictures.

The ride is offered as a track without providing any planning for lodging and food. The start finish on the file is at Cherohala Mountain Trail Campground (Tellico Plains, TN), but you can start anywhere that you want to. When I first started working on the route, I visualized a 5-7 day ride with riders camping along the route. However, there are a lot of places to stay and eat along the way. Waypoints are provided with the gpx file to assist you with your planning.

Note that map file attached below (smk mtn 100 v7) is the latest and greatest. it was updated on 6/22/2019. The route remains the same, but I cleaned up some of the waypoint names, I filtered out some track points, and I split the track into 7 sections. These changes should make the file easier to load into your mapping device.

There is also a Facebook Group page for the SM1000. The page has been open for a year and there is lots of information there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/229150894116972/

Note that nearly everyone who follows the SM1000 is also a member of the SM500 Facebook Group page. The routes mostly overlap in North Georgia, Tennessee.

SM 500 Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/229150894116972/
    SM500 ADVrider thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/smokey-moluntain-500.926507/

The big picture:
    [​IMG]

Cabins at CMTCG:
    [​IMG]

Scenes from the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Madhouse, will30533 and pir8liner like this.
  2. maquette

maquette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're gettin' pretty good at this Dad. :>):D
    andy29847 likes this.
  3. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Smokey Mountains 1000 maps. These maps are screen captures starting at the Cherohala Mountain Trails CG and going clockwise. You can save them to your computer and print them, save them to your phone or tablet and view them as you travel, or order them from Smugmug as photographs.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-XcgXRC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    will30533 likes this.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing!
  5. dancecommander

dancecommander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Short notice, but I'm in Tellico and going to Cherokee via the SM1000 route, tomorrow 19th, solo. If anyone is around and interested in coming along. Should be a crisp morning! I'm planning on staying at Hunts campground tonight and headed out in the morning, but not too early.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for creating this route. (track). Gonna try to do a piece of the north end of it sometime in Nov.
  7. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    I just bought an old house in NC. I look at this and realize its right on the route. Franklin, NC.

I will ride this next summer..
  8. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    Scroll up. Maps and tracks are in this thread.
  9. Abrahamster

Abrahamster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden parts of the SM 500 on a 650. I'm interested in trying this on a 1200GS...when you say big bike friendly, is it big bike friendly if you are a rock star or big bike friendly if you are an average rider. I know it is totally subjective, but just wondering.
    Thanks!
    mdsn969 likes this.
  10. andy29847

Oddometer:
    The hardest parts of the 1000 are shared with the 500. You have ridden there so you can make your own judgements. My experience is that it is easy if you don't try to go too fast.
  11. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Five of us who rode the SM500 together last year, will ride the northern and western sections.
    Starting at Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah NC on Tue 5/7
    First stop Comfort Inn in Maggie Valley Wed 5/8
    Next stop Mountain View CG on Thu 5/9
    After Friday's ride to Asheville and beyond, each rider will disperse at will to return home.
    We are not repeating any part of the SM1000 that overlaps with SM500, still total trip will be 700 +/- miles.
    We can add a few more to our group. You're welcome to come along all the way or partially.
  12. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will you still be joining us at Kickstand the following week
  13. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Hi Dale,
    Wouldn't miss it.
  14. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Some memories from the trip 5/2019
    Stecoah to Pineola
    KIMG0146.JPG KIMG0129.JPG KIMG0149.JPG KIMG0147.JPG KIMG0153.JPG KIMG0150.JPG
    BryceB, jrou111 and Amphib like this.
  15. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    I see on the map that there is an optional FS288/Buzzards Roost.
    Take it or stick to the main route? what's the better route?

I'll be riding the SM1000 starting tomorrow morning.

I was going to do the TWAT, but the weather in Wisconsin looks crappy, so I'm going to stay closer to home and ride the SM1000. the weather in the Smokey's is looking like it'll be fantastic to camp.
  16. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Buzzards Roost is worthwhile stop (for the view) but the ride up to it is so so.
    A better stop is the Rich Mtn Fire Tower and its only a few minutes off the main track.
    BryceB likes this.
  17. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    The Buzzards Roost is awesome and worth a visit if you've never been.

[​IMG]
    PYG RYDR, DCTFAN and BryceB like this.
  18. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heads up to any planning to ride in the Wilson Creek area-far eastern part of the SM1000

From the USFS

Wilson Creek Area Roads Significantly Damaged

Nebo, NC - June 13, 2019 - The Wilson Creek area on the Pisgah National Forest Grandfather Ranger District was impacted by the heavy rainfall event this past weekend. The upper Wilson Creek watershed received over 12 inches of rainfall over the weekend. Significant rainfall over a short time period led to flooding, landslides, and downed trees.

The following Forest Service roads received damage and have closures or limited access for vehicles:

Craig Creek Rd. / Mortimer Piedmont Rd. (FSRD 982) - 4WD high clearance vehicles only, east of the intersection with FSRD986. Road closed east of Chestnut Mountain (intersection with FSRD198) to Brown Mtn Beach Rd.

Pineola Rd. (FSRD 464) - 4WD high clearance vehicles only, east of Little Lost Cove Cliffs trailhead.

Roseboro-Edgemont Rd. (FSRD 981) - 4WD high clearance vehicles only, east of Gragg Prong (FSRD192).

Watagua Turnpike / Edgemont Rd. (FSRD45) - 4WD high clearance vehicles only, south of White Rocks trailhead.

Roseboro-Gragg Rd. / Old House Gap Rd. (FSRD192) - 4WD high clearance vehicles only.

In addition to the Forest Service roads listed above, the NC Department of Transportation is working to repair State roads in the Wilson Creek area, including Brown Mountain Beach Road and State Road 90.

Visitors to the area should use caution, as soils may be unstable and additional trees could fall. Assessments of area trails and dispersed campsites are ongoing. Please report damage to the Grandfather Ranger District office Monday-Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm at 828-652-2144.

[​IMG]

Craig Creek Road, Grandfather Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest

[​IMG]

Craig Creek Road, Grandfather Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest
  19. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Got my hopes up when I heard big bike friendly. I had a group that was coming up there and were going to ride out of Suches on our 250s. But is as usual with my plans things happen. So now we are riding up there and we are all going to be on our GSs. One guy will be on a tiger 800. We have been coming up there for years and I am very familiar with the main roads such as Wolf Pen Gap, 129, Blairsville, Richard Russell, Cooler run, Thunder Road, Cherohayla, Moonshiner, Hwy 60 back to Suches etc etc etc. So when I saw this big bike friendly thread I was ok, great we can still see some new stuff. But guess not huh? Anybody have a good gpx file that DOES not cover these roads but yet still fun to ride for big bikes? I WILL BE BACK WITH MY #%) THIS FALL DAMN IT
  20. andy29847

Oddometer:
    New map - smk mtn 1000v7.

It was updated on 6/22/2019. The route remains the same, but I cleaned up some of the waypoint names, I filtered out some track points, and I split the track into 7 sections. These changes should make the file easier to load into your mapping device.