SmugMug has purchased Flickr

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by HardWorkingDog, Apr 21, 2018.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Seems like a great thing for all of us photo-posting advriders. Nice move, SmugMug!

That is all.
    JaxObsessed, Baldy and shandrew like this.
  2. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer:
    Yeah- terrific. :dirtdog

So- the $$ that I just paid for my Flickr "pro" account goes where?

and now I get to pay $48/yr (one time charge) or $72/yr (monthly payment)

Double or triple what I'm spending now.

and these charges won't be increasing? :oscar
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who knows what the change will mean longer term. Flickr has been ignored by Yahoo for a long time and could use some TLC.

According to the FAQ, we shouldn’t expect significant changes in the short term to our free or Pro accounts. https://www.smugmug.com/together/faq
  4. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Just thinking out loud as I have zero inside knowledge of any of the goings-on with these 2 companies...........but if you've got enough invested (invested as in time/effort/need/value) in a photo hosting service to have a Pro account, who would you more trust: SmugMug, a company owned and run by people whose names we know, who are photographers at heart, and who clearly know what they are doing; or Flickr, an orphaned service now several corporate moves beyond the photographers who started the service, owned by some faceless entity called Oath, which is a conglomeration of AOL and Verizon (AOL? isn't that company dead?), which is only concerned with the next quarter's balance sheet?

Up until 2 days ago, Flickr was another PhotoBucket in the making, seems to me.
    Jack90210, Blue Mule and Andrew like this.
  5. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    And Oath has sucked up my Yahoo email, which pretty much sucked anyway. I think I will be deleting that account.

Edit: I just deleted that account.
  6. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    This morning I found an email from Flickr announcing the acquisition by SmugMug.

"Found" because Yahoo's email system had marked it as spam, and hid it in the spam folder... Nice move, Oath.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha, mine went to spam, too. What morons the Verizon/Oath team are.

I have both a Fliickr and SmugAccount, and will continue that way. I like the Fliickr photostream... but prefer the handling of galleries and albums at SmugMug. As well as the printing service. It's going to be interesting to follow, but this is clearly a welcome thing for Flickr.
    Bill Harris and HardWorkingDog like this.
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weird, I am getting emails from Flickr about the acquisition to accounts with no connection to Flickr, like my work address. I don’t mind them emailing my Yahoo address. Makes me wonder how they acquired the business address.

No big deal, as I will flag it as SPAM, so I don’t see them again.
  9. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    I got another email today to another email address--it's used as a backup or recovery email for my yahoo account. Maybe that's the source?
    I got another email today to another email address of mine as well--it's used as a backup or recovery email for my yahoo account. Maybe that's the source?
  10. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    If I used a photo host I'd use SmugMug hand down but years ago I decided to roll my own so I wouldn't be hostage to any company merger. It helps that I'm technically minded and have a web hosting relationship.
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unlikely, but I’ll check. I would normally have given a personal Gmail account as backup. My Flickr account predates my current employment.

_________ EDIT _________

I checked - the backup address is Gmail. The only explanation I can think of is that I may have used the work account to email a photo to my Flickr, and they saved it.
  12. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Pretty freaky for me to have cofounded SmugMug, worked there 13.5 years and all I ever heard about is you need to be free like Flickr because no one will pay on the Internet. And then to find out our model was so much better that Photobucket is near death and Flickr got bought by SmugMug.
  13. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell

Oddometer:
    I started using Smugmug shortly after I discovered this site about ten years ago and I now have other family members using it too. Hell, my 80yo Aunt in Germany emailed me a couple of months ago after my wife and I returned from a short vacation and berated me because I had not uploaded our pics to Smugmug fast enough.:D

On another note, I have been slowly scanning old family photos from the 50's through the 90's and uploading them to a gallery that I have named Vintage. A few weeks ago I realized that I had double scanned about a dozen pictures and in the process of deleting the duplicates I accidentally deleted the WHOLE GALLERY! Many hours of work down the drain.:baldy

My wife suggested that I email Smugmug to see if they could retrieve the gallery and within a couple of hours I had my "vintage" gallery back. I'm not trying to be a cheerleader here but I feel that as a paying customer that I am more valued than just a free user.
    shandrew and HardWorkingDog like this.
  14. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sole reason I went with smumug back circa 2007 was because Baldy was/is tied into it.

ADV is/still can be the greatest ad free forum on the inter webs, changed my life for the better. Long Live ADV! And smugmug too or a shit ton of my photo links will die :(
    Baldy and MikeyT like this.
  15. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still use Smugmug and yes, signed up because of @Baldy and the hours of recreation he has provided me on this site. Their customer service is the best, questions answered quickly. I use their Gallery software as a Slideshow on the forums that I own, displaying member's bikes.
    Baldy likes this.
  16. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Good news, I guess. Smugmug has always been first class. And Flicker has been floundering for a while.
    I've not checked my SM in a few weeks, I've been transferring things to a new laptop and have been off on a tangent.
    I'll go and check in tomorrow. .
  17. Solarbronco

Oddometer:
    I look forward to what Cake is gonna morph into someday. Your track record is all positive growth.
    Baldy and Eddieb like this.
  18. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The hard part is getting critical mass. That was hard with ADV and SmugMug too.
    Solarbronco and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  19. Solarbronco

Oddometer:
    Also @Baldy as an FYI, someone started an ADV Rider group on Facebook that thousands of people have joined and most all of them think it is associated with this website. I thought it was associated with this website. Recently I posted and asked if it was and many of us determined that it wasn't, at least 100 voiced our displeasure and then wham, the thread on that group of course disappeared. Many of us left that FB group right away, but only the ones who saw that thread before it was deleted. Maybe you or a moderator might consider posting a warning here that ADV rider is only on advrider.com. There are thousands of people that think that you admin that FB group and someone is using your brand.
    Blue Mule likes this.
  20. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity...whats that number? critical mass?
    ozmoses likes this.