Snail Trail rides in SE Queensland for 2011

Discussion in 'Australia' started by B1, Jan 8, 2011.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    2011 SNAIL TRAIL RIDES
    This is the old thread for 2011 rides.
    If you are chasing the current rides for 2012 click here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    hi all
    ok just off the phone to barry here is the new grading,we will not be calling it snail trail or cat/piller..if you dont like it feel free to call strummer/barry and they will tell you why

1) LEARNING - Basically just getting the hang of the bike and not ready to challenge the terain. Mastering the Clutch, gears, braking is what it's all about and flat ground does nicely.

2) WHERE TO NOW ? - We know how the bike works thanks! We want to ride some tracks and get the hang of a how to ride up a hill and through ruts and rocks and varied terrain.

3) CONFIDENT - I've seen most of the types of obstacles riding has to offer and a good idea of how to handle them, the odd push and helping hand wouldn't hurt. No crazy hills yet though!

4) SEASONED RIDER - You've been around a while havent you!. Been on alot of group rides, bit of time up the front. Even have a crack or two at those killer hills when you feel frisky. Can handle most things but not always flat out.

5) CLUBMAN - You won't find a track or hill that's gonna stop me mate. Even better I'm going to hit it with a hand fist full of throttle and not even slow down. I don't even mind riding flat out for a whole ride with only a couple of small breaks.

6) EXPERT - How many more times are we going to nail this sweet loop today ? I've been in/or going to the ISDE/Finke/A4DE soon, need to test the old endurance.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
  3. Greggles

Greggles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to assist in any way I can. These rides are great to be involved in and always meet new people.

MickD
    I have already committed my time to my children's Junior AFL fundraiser today. But if the catch-up can be rescheduled for a later date. I will be there.

Look forward to more Snail-Trails in Twenty11 :evil
  4. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    hi all
    can all the above please remove there post on here,this thread is for dates etc only,we need to keep this thread clean, easy to do just click on edit,then click on nuke

as barry said....Please don't respond to this post, just visit this one and subscribe to it if coming along:
  5. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea.
    There's not much open on the south side. Condomine Gorge is closed indefinately. (and the Police are patrolling at the request of the locals. BIG fines for those who get caught on the wrong side of the "Road Closed" signs without a valid reason)

We might have to see if we can get from Jimna across to Kenilworth although I do belive Sunday Crk Rd is closed. I also believe that Mt Buggery has claimed a few victims recently.

There's not a lot of options with everything closed.
  6. greendude

greendude Long timer

Oddometer:
    doesnt sound like i missed much Rob. hope the carby was an improvement if not ill have another go
  7. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    You can go up the Boloumba route.

Flooding and wet weather has forced the closure of roads at Conondale National Park.
    The following roads are closed or are restricted due to unsafe conditions caused by excessive wet weather.

• Funnels Hut Road and Booloumba Creek Road is closed to 2WD vehicles until further notice.
    • Sunday Creek Road is closed to all vehicles due to a land slip. 2WD Access to and from Jimna is via Kilcoy and Maleny. 4WD access to Jimna is via Booloumba Creek and Funnels Hut Roads - no caravans.
    • Many smaller tracks may be boggy, washed out or untrafficable.
    Take extreme care on tracks and at all creek crossings.

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/park_alerts/10315.html
  8. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm... might have to go have a look. :evil
  9. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was still a good ride. We did just over 400km. A good way to test the new seat....
    The gorge is closed for who knows how long though.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Crapiest ride I have ever taken anyone along on, 90% bitumen. Only dirt bit was Undulla Rd from Ripley. Soaked in a 3 minute storm coming down the range and then dryed off in the heat back through Boonah and home.

I have no love for bitumen.:cry Sorry Rob.
  11. MarTind

MarTind Repaired and ready

Oddometer:

So where you got in mind for the next Snail Trail ride??
  12. Boo82

Boo82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strummer, if you have the track still, why not the route we took for ST2, that one was a lot of fun and obviously even my 'big bike' can do it. We have new riders so they won't have done them either.
  13. PRITCH139

PRITCH139 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DERM says mt mee is open again? or rather it dose not say that it is closed.

Brian
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Hey Pritch, I just got off the phone to DERM asking about that and they said it is closed indefinitely and don't know why the alert was taken down but will be looking in to having it put back up.
  15. david60

david60 Back on a Bike

Oddometer:
    I hope you can organize something for this weekend, I am actually free this Sunday. I have a feeling next week could bring a lot more rain. Look at the models which aren't that accurate this far out, but we may have a tropical low fairly close to us by the end of next week so this weekend could be the driest for a while.
    Hope not!
    Cheers David
  16. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    remember this year there's no central organiser slaving away to provide rides every weekend for everyone, so if anyone REALLY wants to go for a ride you can always organise it... kind of running on the what goes around comes around principle this year :wink:

it's pretty simple, just look at the very first entry on this thread.... :eek1
  17. benno.h

benno.h cageracer

Oddometer:
    Desparately want to ride but I'm racing the next two weekends and my bike is in pieces.

Anyone keen for a multi day ride feb 28 to march 2?
  18. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a route in mind but won't be able to do much before mid March. Start and end at Kilcoy. Some nice roads and trails and even a few whoops.
    If anyone wants to step and lead a ride before then I'm happy to tell you where to go.... ahhh.... I mean provide the route....:lol3

PM me for details.

Rob
  19. OFB

OFB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested I can lead one this weekend, sorry for the short notice. Work has been crazy and my computer is dead so havn't been on here as much as usual.

Was thinking about a start at Yamanto, head out on the dirt through Ripley down to Beaudesert. Then up the back way on the dirt to O'reillys. Last time I went up there Duck creek Rd had a few ruts, only in a couple of spots and was a bit slippery at the top. Nothing serious though.

There will be some black top sections, the dirt is all pretty easy and suits all levels and all kinds of bikes.

Meet at Maccas at Yamanto Saturday at 9.00am for a 9.30 departure.
  20. Boo82

Boo82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would that be for Saturday or Sunday?