Sneaky Monkey Club Members

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by IndigoSwann, Apr 29, 2019.

1. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    Good Afternoon all!

So after looking into some alternative commuting options now I have no bike I came into the realm of electric bicycles and motorcycles...

Very interesting - but how many of you current owners ride and camp in public parks and trails that have "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES" signed up?

After coming into contact with a SUR RON MX Ebike all I could think about was how awesome this would be for stealth riding/camping along the awesome park trails I wish I could ride on a motorcycle on.

What were your experiences like?

NB: This is all speculation and the OP and responders clearly do not indulge in sneaky monkey rides...at night...or otherwise ..
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    In AZ class I and II electric bikes aren't motorized vehicles so I don't worry for the most part when on my bbshd bike - technically it's gray when on federal land though.

I would expect a sur-ron to get in trouble most places if spotted though... Cops (more so than rangers but them too) are aggressive on public lands here at times...
    IndigoSwann likes this.
  3. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    If I had one I would be tempted to try and cover the battery and main side with what looked like a bag or something to make it look less like a motorcycle..I can imagine getting pulled over by the cops and getting into an argument about what type of vehicle this is etc. Messy
  4. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Backpack battery and mid-mount motor on a mtn bike is the best for stealth and performance. A small hub motor can be hidden quite well behind a disc brake for flat use. But you'll want a mid mount for hills.

If I am not mistaken <750w is considered a bicycle (in Utah anyway) and can access all the same paths and trails. In other words it does not count as a "motorized vehicle". So even if you get stopped, which I never have on the many mtn bike trails I have ridden, you're ok.

The fact that you might be running 30a controller instead of 15a with the 52v battery need not be advertised anywhere..

Just don't act like a jerk and blow past peddlers in full throttle with no pedal at 30mph. Clown peddle if you need to.. Just act like a normal bicyclist and be polite and respectful and nobody will care or be the wiser.
    Bt10 likes this.