Sneaky peek at the GS1200 HP

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeO, Mar 23, 2005.

1. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Common sense would say go with non ABS Evo brakes on an Enduro model?
  2. toucan

toucan dumb ass

Oddometer:
    common sense????
    hahahahahahahaha
  3. msmetz

msmetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So they are taking off all the heavy expensive parts and charging more? A lot more. WTF? :rad
  4. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    yes, but look, it's EXCLUSIVE!
  5. dugmar

dugmar Pinball Wizard

Oddometer:
    Wait and see what they sell it here for, you may be surprised. For example, BMW's new 2006 E90 3 series has more standard equipment than the 2005 , totalling over $2500, but MSRP is almost $1000 less than the previous (2005 E46) car was selling for. The US being the biggest market for BMW, I doubt they want to price themselves out of it.

This theory may or may not apply to their bike line...

Doug
  6. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as the BMW buyers go frothing in and pay the prices without complaint, BMW will keep raising them or offering less equipped bikes for more money. Or they will offer to make the first 2-3 payments for you and people will say its a great deal. All it would take is one of the Jap companies to make or bring the right bikes here and prices would become more competitive. Look what Lexxus is doing to Mercedes and BMW in the car market!
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I get it, it's gonna be the Slide and Westnash's, "BMW's suck", tag team on all the threads now :lol3
  8. JollyQuick

JollyQuick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm,

Looks :ymca, is dumbed down but costs more...sounds like the perfect marketing ploy to target BMW folks! Sure it costs more but its EXCLUSIVE and the poor folk won't be able to afford them...Sometimes BMW can be a bit tiresome in its overt quest for $$$:(:

JQ
  9. slide

Oddometer:
    Heck, no. If you get it, I'll be bugging you for a test ride. I'm not always sour on BMW. I'm just waiting for the company to return to its roots which caused me to be a BMW rider for many years. Recent policy changes pushed me out of the camp.

I like to compare BMW to Porsche. Both were forced by antedeluvian folks like me to stick to their traditional products after it became apparent that they were past their prime. Porsche has improved the 904 (911 series) to today's 997 and while some old cranks say the post 993 stuff isn't a 'real' Porsche, they do agree they are close and they do run well.

BMW is stuck with the ancient R because folks like me just wandered past the K's whining like babies that we want our boxers. Yet I haven't seen the R improved to the extent the 911 has been to maintain its lead as an industry leader. Instead the current BMW R line is really a cult line where folks put up with silly stuff like the switchgear and tolerate indifferent performance to ride their cult bikes. It's kind of like Harleys except Harley-D appreciates its customers and treats them right (mostly).

For me, I got out of the cult when the cult started failing to meet my basic needs. That is, buying a bike for its intended purpose. Riding a GS hoping for reliablity solely because BMW's of some distant past were reliable was more than I could stand. Then add too much mass (somewhat addressed with the 12) a stooooopid first gear ratio for any bike much less a dirt one, a stooopid front suspension added to a poor rear one (for dirt both) and when the brakes came along....

Heck, maybe if the company brought out the HP a year ago instead of piling stupidity upon stupidity with the geegaws on the GS12, I may have traded in for that instead of the Strom. I still may buy BMW some day, but now the company has to work for my business where for years the only thing it had to do was exist.
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Like all BMW owners, I get comments like, "wow! Those sure are dependable aren't they?" I never blow smoke. I tell them that in my opinion there was a time when BMW was way ahead of most other brands of bikes in that area, not now. If dependability was my only requirement in a bike, I would still be ride’n Hondas. And yes, even Big Red has it share of problems.

I still ride a BMW (my other 2 bikes are not BMW’s) for only 4 reasons.

Telelever: I love the way it makes a bike handle on the street.

ABS: in the dry I don’t care, but I commute every day through the mountains rain and shine and in the wet I love it.

Support: my local BMW shop, BMW of Santa Cruz County treats me like gold. They have never failed to take care of me each and every time I have had a problem with any one of the three Oil Heads I’ve owned.

Service: I find the Oil Head a very simple design to service myself with a wonderful assortment of how to info available places like Advrider.

I stopped think’n BMW was the “best” bike on the market a few years ago when my 99’ R1100S was towed for the second time. :lol3
  11. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Nah. BMW will export it at a more reasonable exchange rate, and just suck up the currently trade loss. What sets the price of bikes are 2 things: what folks will pay, and what the competition.
  12. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe so they could sell a jillion of them, capture "motorcycle of the Year" anawards, and generally kick ass.

KTM tried the other approach, you can pick them up for about $8Gs used. I suspect more buyers may prefer a windshield and other amenities.

jmho, of course.
  13. msmetz

msmetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know but the more I look at it, the more it looks like a Moto-Guzzi.
  14. Dr.ABS Brake

Dr.ABS Brake Banned

Oddometer:
    This may be a product of photoshop illusions of the editor of MOTORRAD.

Nothing more! Now, down the throat with LSD and dream yourself:

No heat-grips, both light standard fork and suspension. Light frame. Everything light... And of course - but he's not telling that! - without all the ABS, cables, larger battery and other crap that's responsible for all that weight of the regular GS models. You see - only one disc!

This photoshop product is really a bad trip. I'm so sorry for him.

Dr.
  15. slide

Oddometer:

I agree those are good reasons to go BMW especially the dealer one. There are many terrific BMW dealers out there which form a dealer subnet vastly superior to the typical bike dealer. It's not universal, however.

One of the reasons we enjoyed our BMW's back in the days was our dealer (BMW of Denver in Cal and Clem days) a tradition that carries on in many places.

I'm not in agreement on the Telelever which is fine for street, but not even decent off road or in very rough areas which may be paved. To my surprise, I found I wasn't bothered by the dive when switching between my lever bike and standard forked bikes. I still don't mind the dive now that I don't own a lever bike any more. I do like the added road feel of the conventional (cartrige or inverted) forks I ride now.

My feeling about ABS is neutral. I don't think it brings much to the table if the standard ABS II. My feeling about servos...well, let's drop that now.

As far as BMW being the most reliable or best built, my comment wasn't about the 99's, but more along the line of the R60's which were up against BSA, Norton, Sportster. This extended to the /6 line, but after then, the lines inverted with the 'other' brands being equal to or superior to BMW as far as QA. Today's R line is a patched relic existing more as an old timer's dream of waybackwhen than a competitive iteration of a motorcycle.
  16. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  17. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    if this is HP, I am not sure I like it
  18. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Lottery Loser

Oddometer:
    I agree, it looks horrible
    what a piece of junk!
  19. rodc

rodc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Different tastes for diferent people but I like my beastly bulky 1100 Gs
    a true German tank BMW I think is taking refinement a little tooooo seriously !

Rod
  20. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    FUgly in my not so humble opinion.

Looks like crap.

But to be fair, I used to think the 950Ktm was the UGLIEST MF on this earth, until I saw it pass us all on Bm's like we wuz standing. Combine that with a stunning engine note, awesome dirt ability, and a GInormous grin factor when actually riding it, and it has become beautiful to me. Really beautiful.

Perhaps the dynamics of this FUGLY piece of u know what will transform our rather reserved opinions of it.