Sneaky peek at the GS1200 HP

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeO, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Args

Args I was going to but didn't

Oddometer:
    Is it jsut me, or are those forks 1/2 way to being a chopper?
  2. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing. Maybe BMW is trying to replace the R12C at the same time...:D
  3. L.A.

L.A. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I first thought this bike was designed to compete with the KTM 950 Adv., but at a ridiculously high msrp such as this one that can't be the case. Of course the msrp is only a rumor. The rule at work is if you haven't heard a rumor by 9am, start one. :evil
  4. bison

bison lost

Oddometer:
    seems like you could just about build up your own from an R1100 engine for that price
  5. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    ?

erm, so?
    then have what? a 1100 HP2? (still lesser than 1200 HP2)

anyway, it is tall after all, still cannot take the same place as GS (duh)
  6. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Frankly, I don't give a darn about the details. I think it exciting that BMW is showing some signs of life here and in the KS. If it means an M-like series of bikes, so much the better. This company got stirred up almost 30 years ago and then settled back down into the most conservative old fashioned mfg in the world. If it took local company KTM to give these snoozers a wake up call, great. Whatever it was, great. I'm happy to see it.
  7. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    According to the specs it's got 2.5º more rake than the standard 12gs
  8. MikeO

MikeO Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loads of high resolution pictures on UKGSer here ...

Mike:brow
  9. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where can we find the specs?
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    here :lol3
  11. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Have to agree with Slide. Many complained about how the GS became a big heavy pig. Then BMW lightened things up with the 12GS and added a few more ponies. Now we see more interesting changes to the boxer GS. This is a great sign for us still somewhat loyal and hopeful BMW fans. A smaller production bike is going to cost more, that's a given. I can imagine the corporate hell that some guys at BMW probably had to overcome to even get this stuff out the door. They are headed in the right direction with the GS line for sure, I say give them a thumbs up and support it. For us in the USA, I am amazed the prices on European products has not gone a lot higher in recent months with the weak US dollar.
  12. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    How different is this bike from the one you raced in the Baja 1000 and Nevada race?
    The bike I raced was a prototype for this one, virtually the same bike, just built by hand, not on assembly line. When I raced it I thought they were just in the beginning steps for another race bike like 900RR, it started the same way. In fact it was a lot of the same guys involved so I didn't suspect there was production possibility till after the Baja 1000. The Baja bike actually had a production frame and suspension and was used as a durability test. Which I found out after the race. They were really open to helping us make the bike work as good as we could for such an extreme condition and I don't know of any other stock DP bike that would have done so well. Except for that theft system...

In your mind is the HP2 better than the KTM950?

Sure, especially for low speed situations. The are both big heavy high power bikes, but this BMW is more ENDURO. It will handle slow stuff way better. The CG is a lot lower and now the suspension will do anything that the KTMs will, only better IMO as the air shock is really good. Shockingly good and I'm sure you wil see it evolve and change shock technology.

Do you still own a KTM950?

Yes, It is the only big bike I have at the moment, but I get an HP2 in a few days for practicing for Baja.

Is that the production head light?

Yes, that is the bike the way they will sell it. We will have a race version to race on that will be a special race bike based on the stock one.

How do you like your chances in the 500?

We race this bike for FUN. Racing is a great way to learn about the bike and how to make things better. There are so many things on this bike that were direct realtion to stuff we learned on the rally bikes, stuff that trickled into production on the standard GS even. So going to Baja and German GNC races is to push the bike to the limit.
    There is no way you can compete with Singles in most of these races. You need the speeds only found in Africa, but that is no longer possible (maybe 450cc from now on!) But for sure we can ride it pretty fast and it is really a good time doing racing this way. If we could win, we'd try but it would be to crazy. There is no doubt the bike is twice as fast as it needs to be!

Hope this answers your questions.

JIMMY
  13. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    We'll be expecting a ride report and pics... :deal

Good Luck Jimmy,
  14. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    JL, the rear suspension is what makes me think of next gen 1200GS :(
    I thought I would a get a bike to keep for years, but if the go on and change the rear on the whole line... sh*t they are going to make us pay again. :(

BTW, the rear construction looks a bit sturdier on HP2... am I correct? (any chance to port this to 12GS I wonder...)