Snoqualmie Fire Road

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RuneSpyder, Aug 1, 2005.

1. RuneSpyder

RuneSpyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My V-Strom and I are no longer virgins to the fire road! I followed the same route that other noob, ruppert, took last weekend (F57 near Snoqualmie Falls). I ended the ride at the same place that they did, at the big wooden bridge. The bridge is about 8.2 +/- miles in from the beginning of the road. I was suprised at how popular that area was. I must have seen 10 different vehicles out there.

I was a little timid when starting out but then I realized the faster I went, the smoother the ride so I just kept the speeds up to between 35-40 when I could. I do have a question, what tire pressures should I be running when on a basic fire/logging road? I just stuck with my street pressures and I think it was a little high. My front tire was a little skiddish.

I have a couple of pics, but they are basically the same as ruppert's. But here you go.

https://runespyder.smugmug.com/gallery/700486
  2. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    Air down to the low 20's. Re-inflate when you can or you'll damage your tires at highway speeds. Avoid mud with street tires and a heavy bike.
  3. Swiss

Swiss eo ire itum

Oddometer:
    We were running into the same sort of traffic last week. Interestingly, some of the folks we saw in their cars seemed to be coming from some sort of swimming adventure. As said, we'll have to head up further once and see if there's a great spot along the river or even a lake that's worth while going up there for.

We did the Middle Fork yesterday, but more about that in another thread.
  4. RuneSpyder

Oddometer:
    The only thing I was dissapointed in was the lack of scenic lookouts on that road. There was the one big overlook kinda between the start and the bridge but someone was out there target shooting. So, I kinda avoided that scene.

The river/creek under that bridge was nice but a family was out there fishing.

How do you guys re-inflate your tires out there? Just carry something like a heavy duty bicycle pump? I was running 36/41 when I was out there. :rofl
  5. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On day 2 at Funny Rocks I took the pressure down to 24/26 front/rear and I was amazed at how much smoother the ride became. I'm not running rim locks, yet...so I didn't want to go below 20 lbs. I wanted to have a good measure of safety margin, since I've seen a few posts complaining of bent rims on f650s when running too low a pressure. I purchased an air pump and gauge setup awhile back in Mountlake Terrace http://www.bestrestproducts.com/

Sound like you had a fun ride. Are you running the stock gearing, or have you gone to a smaller front sprocket?
  6. RuneSpyder

Oddometer:
    The only thing not 100% stock on my bike is the tailbag.
  7. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my Dakar a 16-tooth front sprocket is stock and it's a pretty good choice for pavement, but going to a 15 or a 14-Tooth front is an easy and inexpensive way to have more fun, particularly on the gravel FS-type roads. I see the ability to change gearing fairly easily as a big plus. A tad lower gearing and a tad less pressure in the tires....now, if my Dakar only had a 6-speed tranny.....