Snow Bikes??... This is Canada after all!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jbone11 11, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So yeah, Snow Bikes. There seems to be a couple threads on the site, but most are not really going anywhere or are mainly populated by dudes from the states.... which I find odd seeing as this is Canada and well... we kind of take winter seriously.

The craze is heating up this year it seems and the tech is definitely mature enough to be somewhat reliable and useful... or so it seems. Been seeing a lot of footage of folks out in BC running them and Rally Connex is looking like they are ready to jump on it here in Ontario.

Personally I friggin hate the cold, mainly due to the fact it stops me enjoying my bikes, but this Snow Bike thing intrigues me. Kits are Cheaper than a new Snowmobile and allows me to use my bike year round and tag along with my snow machine friends on trips along the trails, of which we have plenty.... Win/Win... maybe...LOL

So, anyone thinking the same? Who's got em... tried em? Anyone going to hit Rally Connex's demo this winter? http://www.rallyconnex.com/Demoday.html
    RCmoto and PFD023 like this.
  2. JohnRcbr

JohnRcbr underpowered

Oddometer:
    They are interesting but unfortunately they can not be used legally on OFSC trails, the same applies to atvs with or without track kits installed. I will just keep my sled, but then again I can ride right from my yard.
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah... really? I was not aware. The seems odd to me though seeing as they are using identical track and skis to sleds.... ATV's with mounted tracks I can understand, especially is they do to Snow trails what they do to regular trails.

I wonder where these Snow Bike rides will be taking place then.
  4. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.... seems you are right John. However, after reading through the OFSC terms and conditions and subsequently the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, the only sticking points I can ascertain are the switches not being specifically moisture tested ( But I suspect they are via the standard manufacturing process) and not having a Snowmobile specific VIN number and sticker. That's it. A snow bike meets or exceeds all other requirements as far as I can tell., at least when compared to current existing models of snowmobiles.

I guess the OFSC isn't into sharing.... Good thing that not the only place to ride.
    SPEEDSMITH likes this.
  5. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding from talking to some guys that have tried them, they are great in powder and horrible on packed snow. They aren't the same track and skis, they are narrower so that may be why they're not allowed on the trails (but that is just a guess). I really regretted not going out to a demo last winter in Barrie, so I may come out to the RC one.
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats narrower the Tracks? or the Ski? The Ski looks wider on a snow bike than what I've seen on snowmachines, but I do not claim to be an expert. Im also seeing reports from dudes in the US that, although powder is preferable (when is it not??) they run just fine on packed stuff... but again, second hand info here. Still relatively new tech so time will tell I guess. Definitely want to give it a whirl this year if I can Swing the RC event... Not sure what the heck Im gonna wear though.... I got nada in terms of winter riding sledding gear...LOL!
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if they are legal in QC? IIRC there was a company pioneering the Snow Bike thing there a few years ago...Boivin or something.
  8. JohnRcbr

JohnRcbr underpowered

Oddometer:
    If the snow bike was sold as a complete unit and went through the same certification as a sled I would imagine then you could get a permit. Think back to the Snow Hawk by Bovin. Arctic Cat was preparing one before being bought out last year, not sure what happened to it.
  9. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... that's the one I was think of. As for who's doing the kits now, Yeti and Timbersled seem to be the big names. Maybe one of them bought out AC? Might be one or two more out there...
  10. JohnRcbr

JohnRcbr underpowered

Oddometer:
    Textron bought Arctic Cat and their website doesn't have the SVX450 snow bike any more, it was on the US Cat sight last year but not the Canadian site.
  11. PFD023

PFD023 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going......three of us from North Bay.
    Jbone11 11 likes this.
  12. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're pretty popular out this way, though I've never personally tried one. Friends who have say it's similar to riding a snowmobile, but with better maneuverability. Also, since they are a lot more narrow and nimble than a typical sled they can easily ride between the trees - that's a big plus for the mountain sides out here. I doubt many are using them for riding trails. The fun would be had in the hills.
    Jbone11 11 likes this.
  13. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an ATTRAX kit on my KTM 525 excited a few years back. I'd been using studded tires with some success for exploring winters roads, and crossing some frozen lakes when I lived in Northern Ontario.
    That particular kit, the track design was probably best suited for summer fun.
    Width was same as a tire, and the rubber tread lacked paddle depth, once I studded it heavily traction was there.

The front skii however...
    Was awesome. Kept my front end afloat and helped in the powder tremendously. I always said to do it again I'd get the ski, and a studded rear.
    The ski design allowed he front tire to remain, so I had a studded front, and could use the front brake. Great combo for winter trail riding, and splitting off across frozen ice.

Not sure if they still sell them, I'd understand why. Price was reasonable at $1400 cnd if I recall, but the track design was quite unusable really...current Timberlands (spelled right?) Although more costly look to be the business for sure.

MFS
  14. RevyRider

RevyRider FXD Traveler

Oddometer:
    Sledding Feb 14-15 15 024.jpg After riding sled for nearly forty years... I got into snowbiking a few years back, ...I was hooked immediately. I am not interested in riding sleds at all anymore. Going into my fifth season, ..the last three have been on my KTM with a Thumper 570 BB, stage 3 cam, oversized Kibble White valves, bike has big torque and never fails to put a smile on my face. I am currently debating if I will ride another season on my 2017 Timbersled LT or try something different..., kind of intrigued by the new 2018 Camso kits. That being said I love my TS.

I rent snow bikes in Revelstoke if anyone is interested in trying them out.

All of our bikes are fully set up for winter use, re-calibrated forks, thermostat kits, TSS strut suspension, LED headlights, skid plates, spare gas jug, 2 inch handle bar risers.
  15. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya like sleds IMO and from what the dudes in my town tell me they are both awesome in the BIG west coast mountains :)

Where I live on the coast, we rarely get snow at sea level and I can normally ride the trails 365 (last year was an exception and this year might be too) but when we do get snow, I put on studded tires :)

My local shops sell Timber Sleds, Yetis and Camso (one shop drop TS for them) and if I had the right size bikes I would seriously look at one of these for the winter CUS about 15 minutes away from where I live you can get to this easy :)
    Google Earth_zpsqamc7whd.jpg

Otherwise I would have thought you could use a short track option on smaller bikes and ride the MULTIPLE eastern trails systems (I grew up on North Bay and we used to take our sleds to the bars back in the day) with out an issue but sounds like there are unfortunately restrictions :(
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience, they are way more fun than a snowmobile off track. They are much more like a bike than a sled, as a result, trying to go out with guys on sleds while on a snowbike works, but not very well. They have made progress on the ski since I had mine and I hear they are "better" on the trails now but they are not meant to be on packed trails, the fun is in the untracked snow on a snowbike. I've gone back to snowmobiles for now, but only until both kids are big enough to ride a snowbike, then its bye bye sleds and back to snowbikes.

[​IMG]
  18. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to trying out a Beta with a Camso track kit this season. My love for the last few years has been Ice riding with full on stud and protection, as we have limited areas to ride local to me for snowbike I doubt I’ll get one, but do want to try one and see.
    RobbieO likes this.
  19. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like others I have been on sleds for years, for just ripping around, and back country ski access. I rode a friends TS once in deep snow and went home sold my sleds, sled deck and F350. Now I have a 1/2 ton FE501 with a LT/LE 137 track even was able to use my ski racks from the sled, wont ever look back, and yup I definitely qualify as an old fart. I ride in the Sothern Rockies and the Valhalla's in the Monashee range . Revy Rider sounds like your an old fart also I'm always looking for non sledder old farts to ride with. I hang out just south of you have a place on the Arrow and ride from there. Big Bore sound like it might be required :)
    PaisaMed likes this.
  20. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out tomorrow[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    ridepie, PaisaMed, powderzone and 2 others like this.