Snow plows and Quads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scapegoat, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a blade on the quad use some common sense and invest your money in a new bike :ricky
    concours likes this.
  2. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    2”, I’d find a stiff broom ...... scratch that I’d go back inside and let it melt.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were you seeing double when you read his post? 2 feet, not inches.
  4. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Well chit....hard to say what this winter will bring. Typically the snows are 8" give or take which is nice. The vehicles go right over it or thru it and its gone in a few days. The last 2 footer stuck around for 10 days of so which made for some challenges with the vehicles. Recon I'll wait it our and see how it goes. Monsoon season was the driest on record here this season, maybe we'll get no snow this winter, who knows. Thank You for the input everyone, much appreciated!!
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  5. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the minority here (a few folks have chimed in similar, but most favor plows) but if this is strictly for your property and driveway and have no need to haul it anywhere, it is hard to beat a good two stage snow blower (walk behind), self propelled, electric start, rubber (inflated) tires. You can get one in a 36" or even 42" width and be done in one up and down of the driveway. While ATV blades may have limitations, a blower can handle 2" to 2ft. You also will never have to deal with accumulation along the sides of the driveway and getting stuck with a "no place to put it" scenario if you get a really large and unexpected volume of snow one winter, as you can angle the shoot and blow it up over the sides.

Maintenance is easier than on a truck or other hydraulic rig. No additional cost of vehicle insurance. Smaller to store than a dedicated plow rig (can easily store inside instead of rusting away outside). Can handle all type of snow whereas other snow removal methods may be limited (i.e. its not a "works great as long as its light" problem). Live in MN and now Wi for 33 years - always used blowers (for personal non commercial work).

Plus, i think they just leave a cleaner, more finished look, and you don't run the risk of the blades chewing up the edges of the driveway/lawn, etc, although that's more an operator error issue.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I actually like this best, but I guess the OP already has the ATV... But could sell it and use the money to have it done.

Only problem I have with snow blowers really is that I'd use one every blue moon, unlike a lawn mower, and it would sit for about 9 months unused with stuff crudding up and having to deal with firing it up again. But that's me.
  7. Chingo77

Chingo77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in AZ as well and have a Sportsman 500 that I put a plow on. We had two storms last year that dropped about 30". Took some time but I did to with my quad. I have about 700' of gravel driveway.

IMG_20190222_074231.jpg IMG_20190222_172649.jpg
    concours likes this.
  8. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    That belt drive 360 is a problem.

I have been plowing with an ATV for 30 years. First was 1985 Honda TRX 250 2WD it was ok buy needed rear weight. Last 15 years use a Honda TRX 500 4x4. Works great and very quick, it actually fun to plow with this setup. Plow two 150’ drive with parking area, often help the neighbors. Neither ATV have ever been rebuilt.

No matter the plow vehicle:

Speed is important to curl the snow off the angled blade.
    Plan ahead where your going to push a season worth of snow.
    Pavement chains are not needed, sometime cause more problems than they cure.
    Best plow twice if the accumulation is greater than 12”
    Gravel is best plowed when frozen, thawed gravel is going to be a problem no matter the snow removal technique. Gravel and plowing set the plow high.
    concours likes this.
  9. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    And an 800' driveway. Even 2" that is a lot of sweeping.
    For the light powdery stuff, leaf blower.
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Three hours to clear my driveway with this setup:

20171202_124921 (1).jpg

FEL has been replaced with a 9' plow. Since I've been using this, the use of an ATV seems like it'd be more of a pain than its worth.

I'd jump on a snowblower personally.
    simestd likes this.
  11. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    For small areas, a leaf blower can be remarkably effective in keeping an area snow free.

2011-11-28 15.20.13 (1).jpg
  12. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    You folks in Lakeside do seem to get the worst of the storms. Your 30 inch falls were about 24" here and stuck around for a week or so. Not sure how long you been there but the record measured at Charlie Clarks was some 8 feet, and the low for the day was at Hawley at -40. Thats mighty cold.
  13. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    2" snow, 800' driveway.... the ATV with plow is the PERFECT WEAPON!
    showkey likes this.
  14. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    [
    And plow at 40 mph..........but.........watch carefully for those hidden objects
  15. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    clean it up well in the fall. :beer