Snow/winter riding information

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dysco, Sep 21, 2004.

1. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    @Don Coyote I would seriously concider darksiding the rear for winter use, Handling doesn’t seem to be as much a concern as consistant traction and wear. I ran TKC’s for a few seasons and the traction wains as the tire wears. After 1 K you will notice the difference.
    I am happy with my E07s in the winter, but my winter riding is strictly recreational, and I have screw-ins in a set of TKCs for when I ride up to chase the sleds off the hills in late march early april ( I trailer the bike to camp then)
  2. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you figure clearance needs for car tires?
  3. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    so it sounds as if they did exactly as I did, drilled stud pockets and inserted regular car studs, one of my friends tried the Aerostich self tapping thengs, thye didn't stay put as well as drilling stud pockets and using car studs

I was happy with the Karoo Ts, but Metzeler doesn't make them any more only the softer Karoo MCEs and Karoo 3s that don't have a good block tread pattern, I was thinking of trying Mitas E-10 Dakars for my front, and instead of a General Altimax Arctic for the rear, a studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta
  4. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

I gambled, the first aspect you need to think of is the height, my stock rear size on my V-strom is a 150/70-17, in height is somewhere between a 205/50-17 (slightly shorter) anda 205/55-17 (slightly taller) I opted for the 205/50, width, you want to be as close to stock as possible however all the narrower 17" car tires are also much lower profile and you end up loosing a couple inches of ground clearance instead of the 2.5mm I lost, the 205/50 clears my chain by less than 1/8" and when the chain was worn and loose, it would rub occasionally i right hand turns
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got punctuation? I'm not understanding what you are saying about the 2.5mm there.

I'll look at car tires, but the advert for the Hakkapelliita makes me wonder about how necessary it is to have knobs. I've hit lots of packed and recently fallen snow, but even way outside the city the plows hit the roads soon after snow piles up that much. What moto tire has the most surface area and also enough tread depth to take DOT studs?
  6. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 205/50 (102.5mm tall section) is 2.5mm shorter than the 150/70 (105mm tall section) so I lost 2.5 mm of ground clearance, the best tires on snow & ice are not knobbys, rather soft rubber with a tread pattern that evacuates the snow & water from the gaps in the tread and has sipes for flexibility to grip the ice, unfortunately tire manufacturers to not make motorcycle tires to that spec, so a car tire works better, but no way to put a car tire up front, next best thing is a block knobby because they have the most rubber depth for stud pockets, with studs
  7. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    If you want to revisit the front tire, consider the Kenda Equilibrium. It's available in 18 and 19. It has super soft rubber and siped knobs. I've used it a few times in the snow (on the back of a dirt bike) and it seems to work really well. Much better than my friends' mx tires.
  8. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    ya, those would throw studs like no tomorrow, you need a good solid knob for a stud pocket, also, the sipes do not run out to the edge of the knob,no way to evacuate the material that gets in them
    [​IMG]

notice on the General Arctic Altimax, they do not sipe the area around the stud pockets
    [​IMG]
  9. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Ok. The sipes on the kenda have always been clean when I looked, aside from the occasional bit of small gravel. And the if you want to run without studs then there's no need for a stud pocket.
  10. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not ride in northern New England winter without studs
  11. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Guess I misread you then.
  12. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the sipes in this context are most important for evacuating water, what has melted from either salt application, from the pressure of the tire on ice/snow, or just a warmer/sunny day.
  13. JooG

JooG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I think I've read this entire thread, but not seen anyone discuss the possibility for using snow mobile head-gear setup:

http://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmo...clavas/castle-x-deflector-balaclava-2017.html

Pluss a MX/snowmobile helmet with goggles. Or perhaps the deflector thing linked above will work with a normal motorcycle helmet.

I'm looking to try winter commuting soon, and visibility is my main concern.

Sent fra min LG-H815 via Tapatalk
  14. JooG

JooG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Klim balaclava with a breathport that looks like that (can't tell what is inside the Castle there). It doesn't fit in any of my helmets to date, except the HJC CL16 if i take out the air deflector from the chin. It works well to prevent fogging, but then your entire lower face is exposed to the elements. At any temperature where other defogging tech stops working, this is an extremely cold experience for bare skin around your mouth.

Most snowmobile tech is designed for riders making shorter trips while being somewhat active on the vehicle. It translates over to long, stationary rides on a motorcycle not so well in most cases. I'd guess goggles/dirt helmet would fall into this case, although i've not tried it...
  16. JooG

JooG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, that sounds less than ideal. Thanks for the input.

Sent fra min LG-H815 via Tapatalk
  17. lemosley01

lemosley01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also has to be DOT approved.
  18. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ambrose at K3 has gone MIA, doesn't look like i can count on tires from there this year. Anyone know of any place selling properly studded (DOT, not screw-ins) motorcycle tires? Can't really afford my own pneumatic stud gun. I'm open to the option of darksiding, but also need something up front...
  19. kavallerist

kavallerist Alltid hästens fel

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I'm really interested in riding through the winter, right now I ride until the white stuff flies.
    My question is has anyone who has gone to the darkside and has a dubbed back car tire on ridden through snow and ice? I live in Sweden - black ice and snow over ice is really common.
  20. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't remember which specific thread, but there was a large tour bike driver who had a knobby up front with a car snow tire on the back and had success with it.
    kavallerist likes this.