Snow/winter riding information

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dysco, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking into more details on the Altimax now. How wide is the rim on your V-strom? Would the 205/50 fit on a 3 inch rim? Can it be mounted at least as easily as a motorcycle tyre with the same hand tools?
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    not sure about a 3" wheel, the Vstrom has a 4" wheel. I didn't mount mine, the mom & pop tire store where I bought it was willing to mount the tire, but so was my dealer, so I had my dealer mount it, and they use a tire machine

not much help, am I
  3. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this comes as a backhanded compliment, but you seem a lot more grounded and helpful than anyone else i've found looking into CTs, beside those writing articles for publication. The shop studding up my tires said they have a special knife to cut sipes in tire rubber so hopefully i will have a set that perform well all around without introducing unfamiliar cornering characteristics...
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Randyo, leaving the CT option open for future seasons, your Vstrom has a 17 inch rim? One article i read mentioned the need to size down an inch on the tire diameter. I'm not seeing a reliable source for information like this when i search.

Did General sell a 205/50 or /55 Arctic in the past? Can't find anything thinner than a 215/45R17 now. Nokian has some 205/50s, but the price would be about the same as the custom made studded motorcycle tire. I just have trouble picturing how, even if it cleared everything under the seat, an 8 inch wide tire would work well on a 3 inch wide rim given that the bead would be the wrong size also.
  5. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.townfairtire.com/tfttir...mi_dbxkox21wivw7bach07owwueaayasaaeglny_d_bwe

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/General Altimax Arctic 205 50 17

http://www.sears.com/general-tire-altimax-arctic-tire-205-50r17-93q/p-09540482000P

as you can see, I came up with 3 sources online in moments, Not sure where you heard about sizing down an inch. tire height or diameter should be as close to stock as possible, width as well, but that is not possible if you have 17" rear wheel, all the ones that are skinnier than 205 are very low profile and you end up loosing a couple inches of ground clearance,
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tire rack seems to have a bunch of search methods, whichever i was using only pulled up the unstudded version. Didn't sound like my shop guy was finding anything there either. I figured if they didn't have it there or on Amazon, must be out of production.

As far as going thinner than 205s, which ones under 205 are you referring to? Smaller rims? I'm not sure an inch or two ground clearance would be a big deal on the Dakar unless it made something drag at a shallow lean angle..
  7. MazztheSpazz

MazztheSpazz Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

Anyone have experience with these?
    kavallerist and crk like this.
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't read this whole thread yet but would this work to stud up a set of tires for winter riding?
    davyjones likes this.
  9. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. Folks at the Rounders Forum have been doing that for years.

Chris
  10. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just so you know, winter riding isn't like darksiding, you will damage your vehicle, even if you are lucky enough to avoid injury and death. Dangerous, scary stuff...
  11. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe yes...maybe no. Here's a thread on some riders on the Rounder's Forum discussing what kind of studs to use. http://www.yearroundriders.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5996&hl=stud

I asked one of them what it was like. He said it was like riding in rain. Less traction than dry pavement, but it allowed him to ride all year long in the ice and snow.

Chris
  12. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watched the vid, i wouldn't mess around with drilling a CT like that. As Randyo has posted, there are a few good options that come pre-drilled. Saves labor and makes sure you don't mess it up, and the tire tread is designed around the stud pocket. You still need the gun and studs (and probably a compressor). Or, if you do motorcycle tires, you'd need to drill also.
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the method in the vid to use on motorcycle tires.
  14. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a need to stud my tires as my snow days for the winter are usually less than 5 for the winter and most of my route to work is on the interstate which is constantly plowed and salted. For me it's about traction on side roads that aren't plowed or salted so I'm going to try some "emergency or short use" type of tricks....rope or zip ties and those cleated zip ties they make for cars as they will fit. If no success then I'll probably go to skinko 805/805s or tkc 80's and buy some short hex head sheet metal screws that I can put in the cleats if needed for a day. I'm running shinko 705's currently so I'll check in later as I want a bit more snow on the ground to ride in. Great thread here for information.

In about 3" of wet powder those zip tie pro go orange cleated zip ties actually work well in the snow, very rough riding on pavement though and they won't last long on it I would imagine. Going to go with the 804/805 or tkc 80's and short sheet metal screws when I need the traction.
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well yep, that is the basic idea. But you want to make sure you have the tread depth/stud length thing figured out better because if the stud goes through you'll have a little more trouble than that dude pulling funny looking tires off his trailer home. I had the same studs-laying-down thing happen to my T63s, eventually poked a hole through my front carcass. Luckily the T63s have stiff sidewalls and i was able to ride it to a stop no problem. It is difficult to find tread depth info but DennisKirk lists a few and the T63 is the thickest listed. Now i am wondering if that gave the studs more play to move around and lie down. I am going to try larger blocks with the Shinko 804/805 combo this time.
    [​IMG]
    (My guy went a little stud gun happy on those outer blocks though, not planning on using them. ;-)
    davyjones and TonyKZ1 like this.
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    AFIK Nokian is the only company that makes studded tires AT the factory, the General's are "studdable" but do not come studded, the local vendor would insert them.

I run a studded front, but not a studded rear, the winter tread with sipes works pretty darn good from blizzard to freezing rain conditions

1" less clearance is a lot, when I first bought my V-strom, I lowered it by replacing the dogbone links only 3/4 inch (I have since raised it back) I was dragging hard parts in almost any corner when riding halfway aggressively

a 205/50 gives you 102.5 mm rubber height off the wheel, a 195/40 only gives you 78 mm rubber height off the wheel, not only would the bike sit 24.5 mm lower, the wheel would also have that much less rubber to protect the wheel from dents
  17. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

a pneumatic stud gun is a $600 item
  18. NYKTM

NYKTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can sometimes rent the stud gun, Bruno wessel would certainly do that the studs about 150$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. NYKTM

NYKTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your arms after studding would never be the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    $150 for what ?