Snowbum is selling his '95 R100RT

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by UnclePete, Dec 6, 2018.

1. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had not visited his site for some time , and was saddened to read that he is selling his bike . Age , health , downsizing ...
    http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/1995-R100RT-Sale.htm
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully he will continue to maintain his tech pages for a long time .
  2. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    It was a bit buried, but it appears to have already been sold. Along with all his tools/etc. I'm going to reach out to him to offer help with the website. Im happy to host it if it will be of any help to him.
  3. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on you. That website is a treasure. Best luck to Snobum and the Mrs.
  4. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I shot him an email, but I know he gets a lot of them... and has a lot on his plate right now. So if anyone has contact with him, feel free to let him know about my offer to help. I'm willing, but I don't want to pester him if he's not interested. My hope would be to just move everything to my servers for him, and allow him the same level of access he has now without the cost. In no way do I want to tamper with anything.
  5. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    He put some of his stuff on Airheads.org some time ago; dunno if that is his plan for all of it. What is there is freely available to the public (I think that was one of his conditions).

http://www.airheads.org/airlore/techtips
  6. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He announced it for sale on Airlist a month or two ago (maybe more, maybe less, time is what it is now-a-daze).
  7. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    "This remainder of this article is only available for Airheads Beemer Club members. Please Log In..or..Click Here to join the Airheads Beemer Club, after which you will enjoy access this article and all members only content of the ABC web site."

That is kind of sad.
  8. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, guys -
    Snowbum is providing his technical articles to the ABC for member access. He is not exclusively posting the information there. It's my understanding from what he has shared on the AirList and through his website that his intentions are to preserve the information as much as possible as he rides into the sunset. He and Penny are on a waiting list for a place in a retirement community near Portland, OR. He expects to be moving sometime in 2019 but it is a moving target based on when his name comes up on the list.

His goal, as I understand it, is to make his technical information as publicly available as possible. There will likely be multiple (at least 2) places to access some or all of his info.

Paul
    Uke likes this.
  9. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    He replied and declined my offer. He also sent me this link: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/donating.htm

At the bottom of that page there’s a section that outlines what will happen to the site and the articles if/when he passes. Looks like they will keep it up and running so long as the google ads generate enough revenue to pay for the hosting and domain name. Guessing it won’t take long for that to bring the end of the site. That’s his wish though. I let him know that I’d happily host the site free of charge in perpetuity if he wished, but at the end of the day that’s his call to make. Not mine.
    ridepjride likes this.
  10. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of things:

One, plenty of people have probably downloaded copies of his website.

Two, no one has a lock on this info. Oak kind of thought he did but honestly most of his articles are trapped on decaying paper in people’s garages. His choice. New people are writing articles (referencing Bob and others for details) and doing a WAY better job with the presentation and the editing than Bob ever did. Yes, it’s his choice how his work is presented and what happens to it. If it goes away, it won’t be the first or last such work to fade from sight but the Airhead community will get along without it. Same with my articles.
    sprouty115, dmftoy1, FR700 and 8 others like this.
  11. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The Internet has the 'wayback machine' ... records stuff that was on the Internet.

If you know the URL you can look it up and see how it was at certain points in time. Very Dr Whoish.
    http://archive.org/web/

Note it too has funding issues .. :1drink

Snowbums tech art site goes back to 2011
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm
    while his tech info goes back to 2006
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/bmwmotorcycletech.info
    Uke and Jim Day like this.
  12. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Sure, you can use Wayback Machine, but as you pointed out they are having funding issues as well. Not to mention, you get what you get with them. If they scraped the site just before Snobum did an important update, well you’re SOL. Also, I see images and random pages drop out of their databases all the time. There are sites I worked on 10yrs ago that used to be there in their entirety, and now only pieces and parts are left. So it’s not a perfect solution.

You could scrape the data yourself, but again. It’s a snapshot in time. Likely a pretty good snapshot if done now, as I doubt he’s going to update much of the Airhead content going forward.

The bigger problem IMO with these two options though... searching in Google goes away. While I love the info on Snobum’s pages, it’s pretty hard to sort through and find what you need. Google has crawled the site enough that finding what you need is a lot easier via their search algorithm.

So one can save the site or rely on Wayback. You’ll have the info, but good luck building a replacement for Google. Ask Yahoo, Bing, etc how that worked for them.

Anyway, that’s why I made the offer I made. I’d love to help keep that site up and running so future generations of Airheads can find it and use it just like we have.

Dosen’t look like that’ll happen though.
    WRC51, Uke, brittrunyon and 1 other person like this.
  13. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nick, hope you'll continue to reach out and can get involved with hosting and keeping things as they are.

Seems to me, you'd be the ideal candidate to carry it into the next generation.

Please keep us posted here.
    WRC51, Uke and Jim Day like this.
  14. Jim Day

Oddometer:

Good attempt. It's appreciated.

It would be great to take all that info and edit it down to something a little more manageable, but it would take a lot of time and effort to do it. I was actually excited to see the http://www.airheads.org/ version.......

Until I realized I could not see it. :jack

Just makes me value ADV all the more. Nothing lasts forever though :beer
  15. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean. Airheads.org is alive and well. :scratch
  16. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Only if you are a subscribing member. Jim Day is not.

TechTips is only available to members. So are classifieds.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  17. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no longer a member , but I can view the classifieds . ( called AirBazaar )
  18. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    You're right. It's the AirStore that is for members only. You can't by "ABC" gear unless your a member.
  19. Jim Day

Oddometer:

“I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.” :lol3

Yes you got me, I'm not a member, or at least not that kind of member :D

So basically it's taking information someone built up over time, a labor of love, that was given to everyone freely, out of the goodness of his heart and a love for these bikes in general, and locking it behind a paywall to use it for fundraising.

I know what I'm supposed to say: "Oh yeah I'll sign right up!" "That alone makes it worth the x amount of dollars!!"

The truth is though I've often thought about joining the group in the past this is exactly the kind of thing that really turns me off about groups. Snowbum gave that info away freely for a reason, to help other riders and the BMW community as a whole. Altruism does not come with a price tag, and blocking the use of it totally misses the point.
  20. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    Where did you read that it is sold? He just updated the bike page last week (11/26) and it still shows for sale. In the text of the story he also talks about the '84 RT that preceded the '95 RT. The '84 sold is that what you're seeing "buried"? I looked all through his site - it's possible I missed it but...I would think that if it's sold it would be well marked.