Snowshoe, WV and the JTADV Riders

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MakMan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the Jim Thorpe ADV Riders decided to take a little 3-day weekend trip down to Snowshoe, WV and stay on "Top of the World". The idea was to head out on September 29 early and take the day getting down there. Then we'd ride all over the area on Saturday the 30th before departing back to the PA area on Sunday 10/1.

So I met up with my buddy Nightstalker at a Wawa to head down towards Enola, PA where we'd meet up with the rest of the crew.

[​IMG]

Nightstalker on his KTM 950 Adventure with my GS in the foreground. We met up with another rider on his FZR and headed out to Enola.

The plan was to meet at the McDonald's in Enola by 9:00 AM and get started on the trip to Snowshoe.

[​IMG]

The crew was assembling, albeit slowly. There was an accident back up on I-78 which delayed the last two guys until just past 10:00 AM! :eek1

Anyway, here we have Amy, Nightstalker, BobC, Uncle Robert, and Mitch waiting in the sunshine in McDonald's parking lot for MotoMike, Rodney and JTDave.

So we finally get on the road and we stop at a BP in the middle of nowhere for some gas and a rest stop. All in all we've done probably 160 miles total so far.

[​IMG]

There was a nice assortment of bikes. 4 KTMs, 2 BMWs, 1 Yamaha, 1 Tiger and 1 Hog. Already in Snowshoe were 2 more BMWs and a Honda Goldwing. This is also about the time our resident photo expert, Nightstalker, found out his camera was dead. There'd be no action shots from his unique perspective on this trip. I was using my digital rebel which isn't very small so I wasn't going to be taking too many riding shots either.:baldy

What can you do?

While we were here, two guys on BMW K-bikes showed up. They were held up in the same mess as MotoMike back on I-78. Having fueled up our bikes and our stomachs the plan was to go another 50-60 miles before finding lunch. Riiiiiiight.

We wound up doing quite a few more miles than that...we also made a stop at Seneca Rocks. What an awesome sight that is...

[​IMG]

MotoMike had some binoculars and claimed to be able to see some folks scaling the rocks but no one else was able to spot the climbers. We think it has to do with the hallucinogenics Mike used to hit when he was on tour back in the 70's and 80's.

[​IMG]

There was a little bridge leading to a small trail head. This is a view from the bridge. It was very beutiful down there. Here's a shot at the bridge leading from the visitors center over to the base of the mountain.

[​IMG]

The guys went back the trailhead. I didn't head in after them as I didn't want any head-ons coming back out. So I sat with Amy on her HD and grabbed a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone out of the trail it was time for lunch and a stop at Spruce Knob (I think). That's the highest point in the entire state of WV.

[​IMG]

This is just a stop on the gravel road heading to the top of the peak. The views were just awesome. There's nothing more I can add to them. Just absolutely awesome.

Same farm, longer lens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nightstalker posing for the camera...did I mention the view?

[​IMG]

Here's the group, with Amy camera hogging...

[​IMG]

She did a heck of a job on the gravel with her HD. If she wouldn't have pushed on those roads, we wouldn't have made the summit. Thanks, Amy! :clap

Here's the ride leader (at least for Friday)...JT Dave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your truly at the summit...

[​IMG]

Here's a better look at the sign.

[​IMG]

With that, it was back down the mountain dodging raindrops. We hit a fuelling stop and then onto Snowshoe, WV!

There was an overlook by where we had to check-in to the Summit condos.

[​IMG]

Nightstalker again...yes it was getting quite cold.

[​IMG]

JT Dave...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With those clouds moving in, we decided to check-in and get our gear inside before the rains came.

That's it for day 1. We had a good time heading to dinner and drinking. Some of the other guys (and girl) took some pics of the nightlife. Hopefully they'll chime in here and supplement my photos with their collections. Day 2 coming up!
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride! Nice pics!! and nice report. Thanks for posting :thumb
  3. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the weather is looking like complete crap on Saturday morning. It was cloudy, rainy and bits of fog. This is a view from the deck of the condo...

[​IMG]

I got off to a late start because of breakfast not 100% agreeing with me. Most of the group went out around 10:00 AM. The guys on the KTM's were heading to find dirt and trail while the rest of the group was considering the Road Kill Cookoff in Marlinton, WV. MotoMike and Mitch were headed to find the western hemisphere's tallest bridge at 800+ feet. They found the bridge so hopefully they'll post pics of what they found.

BreadMan indicated that a worthy road in WV was the Highland Scenic Highway off 219 between Snowshoe and Marlinton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the Scenic Highway is like this. Elevated roads overlooking some beautiful vistas was the call of the day. The road doesn't have too many severe switchbacks. It was one of the best roads I've ever ridden on. Barely any traffic and smooth roads that really let the GS turn mile after mile on what turned out to be a beautiful day.

This next pic didn't come out how I'd wanted it to. The bridge wasn't wide enough to get the angle I wanted...

This is the entrance to the Tea Creek campground just off the scenic highway in WV.

[​IMG]

The next series of photos are taken along Public Road 86 (or is it 68) in WV. I think it's also Tea Creek road but I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you imagine 23 miles of this? :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I mentioned that I got a late start and that the KTM boys were heading out on their own to find dirt and to create mayhem? I'm taking it nice and easy on this road along the campground and who do I spot?

[​IMG]

They were coming the other way down the public road. It's BCBob on the blue 950S, JT Dave on his orange beast, Nightstalker with his face sheidl raised on his black KTM and Uncle Robert on his black KTM hiding in the back. I was going to ride the rest of the day with these guys (note my GS behind Nightstalker).

About a mile into heading back down with those guys my GPS bar lost a small lag screw and a washer and the GPS was smacking against the instrument cluster. I stopped and they never looked back. Miscommunication I suppose. They said they waited out by the campground entrance and I never showed up. I said when they didn't turn around I decided to finish off my ride.

I wound up heading to Craigsville (by accident) and ran into a mom and pop hardware store where I was able to replace the M5 bolt and washer to repair my TT gps bar.

I wound up taking the Scenic Highway in the reverse direction and then stopped in Marlinton for some liquid refreshment for the evening. :lol3

Parrott Bay and regular Captain Morgan was the call of the evening and led to a nice quiet Saturday night in the condos.

That's it for day 2. The rest of the group needs to come forth with their photos from the Road Kill Cookoff and the bridge pics. With Nightstalkers' camera on the fritz we're missing a ton of cool pictures. :cry

All the more reason to go back another time!

Day 3 and the carnage that ensued coming up a bit later.
  4. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Andy,
    Great report!!! Bring on day 3's episode.

Terry
    02 Dl1000
    99 Dr650
  5. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great :clap
  6. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Andrew!!!! Hopefully the other folks will start getting photo's to you or myself or TZ so we can post more. We have to get the classic Rodney shot with spaghetti & meatball up!!! Trust me fella's reading this report it is worth a thousand words.
  7. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the day 3 report myself...
  8. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    It's kinda like a long race track huh? :evil

[​IMG]

That is such a nice and peaceful section of road. It's not really something you want to race through, though I suppose you could. It's just nice cruising along down next to the water.

9. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Day 3 got off to a bad start. The company my dad works for was having their company picnic at Hersheypark in Hershey, PA. I had a ticket in my tankbag and was trying to make the run from Snowshoe, WV to Hershey, PA.

So I wake up at 4:30 after a night of drinking :freaky and start to ready my gear to be out the door. JT Dave is gassed on the couch and wakes up. We look out the deck of the condo and can't see the first line of trees about 10 feet away from all the fog! :eek1

So my immediate departure is delayed a bit. In the meantime Nightstalker is starting to stir. I was hoping to be out the door at 6:00 but the fog didn't really lift until 7:10 or so. I'm gearing up the bike when Nightstalker says if I don't mind waiting a couple of minutes, he'll head out with me. Sounds good to me! Always good to ride in pairs, especially in unfamiliar territory.

So I snap off a few more pics of the view from the deck with the last remnants of the fog hanging over the valley.

[​IMG]

Note the bits of fog on the right side of the picture...here it is in more detail.

[​IMG]

The trees in the foreground were the ones that JT Dave and I couldn't see through the fog at 6:00 AM. I swear they couldn't have been more than 10-15 feet from the deck.

Now I've been above the clouds before...but generally that's been in an airplane and not from my condo balcony!

[​IMG]

So Nightstalker and I head out. We stop at the bottom of the mountain for fuel and to discuss the route. He knew I was heading to Hersheypark and he was interested in heading home.

I was leading, which is not the norm when we ride together. I'm generally better at keeping up with him rather than being the pace setter. He was in no hurry and since I'd already lined up the route with the GPS he was happy to follow my lead.

We had a pretty nice ride through 219 in WV up to 50. We passed through some majorly wicked weather changes. We'd go from foggy and cold to clear and sunny with each mountain pass we'd go over.

About 115-120 miles in it happened...

We were on WV50 passing through the area near Mt. Storm, WV when this little SOB jumped in front of me...

[​IMG]

Did I mention I was leading?

So the picture above became something more like this!

[​IMG]

While my bike took on a whole new look...

[​IMG]

You guys didn't know that BMW made red valve covers did you! :huh

Now I have to say this much...

If there hadn't been fog and I'd have left at 6:00 as planned I'd have been riding solo and that would've been ugly. Thank heaven that Nightstalker was riding shotgun on the journey home. He flagged down traffic (yes there was traffic in the middle of nowhere WV) and filled out the police report with the trooper responding to the 911 call. Then on Tuesday, this guy takes a day off from his workplace and drives his pickup back down to WV. He picks up my GS and hauls it to Hermy's BMW on his own time without me asking him to help out. He also came to the trauma unit on Sunday afternoon after having to ride an additional hour to get to the trauma unit.

For me in the helicopter it was a 10 minute flight. It was an hours drive by bike for him. He called my wife and assured her everything was alright.

If you want to see more pics of the deer (I have to get more of the bike when I go to Hermy's to see the wreck) go over to face plant. Warning, Nightstalker took some gruesome looking shots of the deer, so consider yourself warned.

Here's the link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171179

Needless to say, I didn't make the Hersheypark portion of my journey. The bike came out relatively unscathed due to some MSF training. Nightstalker said I'd almost saved the tank slapping episode but then lowsided her. According to him I laid it down pretty gently all things considered and that the light show from the engine bars grinding on the asphalt was pretty impressive.

In any event, hopefully the other 9 folks on the trip will chime in with pictures of the various sights they spied and we'll have some more stories to pass along.

Thanks for viewing the ride report, the weekend in WV was a blast. The riding was awesome and the roads were among the best I've driven on.
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Ok, my camera died about 3 shots into the ride, which for me is about 10 seconds. So, I'll have to live vicarously through the images of others and of those burned into my mind.

Met up with Makman and Mitch at the Wawa [pedal]. Here's Mak.
    [​IMG]

The onward to sunshine and Micky-D's. Uncle Robert and Amy.
    [​IMG]

My last picture...Interstate 81 southbound. Wind and trucks, oh my!
    [​IMG]

Death to my camera! It refused to work the rest of the weekend. Of course, as soon as I returned home, it fired right up.
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Pictures by MotoMike...

Gas stop somewhere in Maryland.
    [​IMG]

We're running a brisk pace through some West Virginia twisties, when all of a sudden I hear skidding tires. Look down, it's not me! Wait that sound is coming from my right, in a left hand turn, there shouldn't be anyone over there... Holy smokes!! It's Bob on his brand, spanking new, KTM 950S!!
    [​IMG]

OK, so I really checked to make sure he was ok and then had Moto take the picture, but his bike did make a love stain on that guardrail.
    [​IMG]
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    MotoMike photos:

Seneca Rocks, very beautiful.
    [​IMG]

These can be very distracting. For whatever reason, instead of lining up 2 by 2 as we approached the left turn into the entrance of the park, we lined up single file along the right side of the road, all except Amy! She was looking up to the rocks on the left when she realizied that everyone else had stopped. She locked up the rear tire and started to slide sideways! Then, she gassed that big fat Harley and pulled up out of the slide, but gave the rest of us a classic TOP GUN FLY BY, brooooooooom, potato, potato, potato.

Here she is, glad to be alive!
    [​IMG]
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    MotoMike photos:

Highest point in WV.
    [​IMG]

The gang. Nightstalker just can't sit still, even on decaf!
    [​IMG]

Nightstalker action photo.
    [​IMG]
  14. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    MotoMike photos:

Welcome to Snowshoe.
    [​IMG]

That's no way to welcome yourself to Snowshoe!! Amy dropped that heavy hog in the gravel parking lot. It took like 200 stong men to pick back up, or the ADVRider equivalent of 3.
    [​IMG]

Mountain bikers on the ski slopes, sounds like fun!
    [​IMG]
  15. dgrs2

Oddometer:
    Nice stuff TZ but we're missing spaghetti, meatball and Rod.:D
  16. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    WOW, awsome trip. The cold had me down, but I still had a great time , this group is a great bunch. We all share common ground, to Live Life, and Enjoy all it has to offer. Looking forward to the next adventure.
  17. RidinRod

RidinRod its all good

Oddometer:
    Yea.. everyone knows you need some rod with your speghetti and meatballs!:lol2
  18. dgrs2

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you're on board Rod. Now you gotta get some posts going........and by the way:dg :slurp :ricky & :viking it's what makes the world go round!!!!:clap :lobby
  19. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where's the Roadkill Cookoff pics? And it's been nearly a week...we need Spaghetti and Meatballs!

:ear
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

:lurk