So Cal Fires - a few aftermath pics

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Nov 23, 2003.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    My original plan was to ride from Huntington Beach out to a shop in Hesperia and pick up a few parts that I had ordered. The wind was already blowing offshore at 6:30a, which is a little unusual, but I didn't think too much of it and took off. It was a beautiful ride most of the way, the smog had been blown out to sea revealing the mountains surrounding the floodplain that we Southern Californians live in. Things started to get a little dicey just as I started over the pass toward Wrightwood. A little buffeting is one thing, but after dodging my third tumbleweed at 75 mph, I decided to get off the superslab and onto some dirt. Beauty about heading toward the desert is you can do just that most anywhere...

[​IMG]

I had driven through this area while it was burning, just before the 15 freeway was closed, but I had not been back in the hills and seen the damage close up.
    There is sort of an errie beauty to the desolate landscape covered in bright green grass one week new.

The 15 freeway is directly in the center of this photo, about two miles back:

[​IMG]

A few other photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came to a fork in the road, and took the left fork. Found out later the right fork led to a nudist camp, and the road I was on led to a firing range. I got the impression it was at one point a nudist firing range, but one too many shell casing burns ended that...

[​IMG]

I decided to head back home by going over Saddleback by way of the Corona entrance. Problem is, I've never gone in that way and wasn't exactly sure where the gate was. Fortunately, there is a lot of new development in that area, so after asking a couple people at one of the construction projects, it was simply a matter of hopping a few sandbag barriers, in & out of a drainage channel, and I'm on the road heading up the mountain! Not before wandering into a bee farm however. Thank God for thick riding gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was VERY windy on the mountain. I parked the bike facing the other direction, and the wind nearly blew it off the sidestand (note the bend in the trees - this place gets a lot of wind...)

[​IMG]

some fun dirt twisties to look forward to on the way down ... highway pressure in the Sahara 3s keeps things interesting!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fun 168-mile loop for a Saturday morning.

All of the images are in a gallery here
  2. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice Inte, looks like you had a fun day. Thats what I love about this site. I went for a ride today and when I come home I get to go on your rides too.
  3. inte

Oddometer:
    I hear that ... I've vicariously circumnavigated the globe more than once via this site!

... I seem to spend a lot of time in South America...
  4. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice pics and nice bike Inte.

Im working up my courage to take my new GS up to the top of Santiago.

Perhaps i can convince you and BigDave to hold my hand sometime after thanks giving weekend.

nk
  5. inte

Oddometer:
    let do it! get some of the OC contingent together and run interference for any GSers... just take it slow & enjoy the scenery :thumb

the whole mountain is very GSable right now. there are a couple spots, mostly near the top, that get rocky. nothing is technical however, just a couple sections of rocky fireroad.

that said, if you go fast enough, I guess anything can become technical...
  6. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    lets do it. we need to get BigDave and tdmer in on it too.

I would invite GSXRJunkie but he's afraid of what the dirt will do to his bike.

nk
  7. Big Dave

Big Dave The "Big Dave" from SoCal

Oddometer:
    I'm ready!!! Date and Time is all I need to know.

Nice pics Inte!

Don't worry Killer, GSXRJunkie will meet us at the top on his single speed Mountain Bike. I dare him! LOL
  8. inte

Oddometer:
    As of right now, this Sunday is looking good for me!!

I don't dare single-speeders anymore! I did the Titanium (solo) class of the "12 Hours of Endurance" race up in Big Bear last year and when the results were tallied, 3 of the top 10 fastest guys overall, regardless of class, were on single speed bikes (2 were in the top 5)!
  9. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    NIce pics. It is nice to see some green down your way. Those fires sure were a bummer.
  10. Big Dave

Oddometer:
    Hmmm..... this Sunday may be possible for me also.
    Where do you want to start. The Corona side and go to Ortega?
  11. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Very cool;

"There is sort of an errie beauty to the desolate landscape covered in bright green grass one week new."

How true, as far as the fires being a bummer, yes. But fire is at the very heart of nature and when we try to control or contain it it will eventually win in an explosive way. People putting development in harms way have very little sympathy from me. if they do (build homes) then they should expect annual fires to replenish the land and clear the fuel and build homes accordingly.
    never try to manage nature or it will bite back. it's manged fine all by itself for millenia.

beautifull pics Inte.
  12. inte

Oddometer:
    i ended up getting photo shoots booked both Saturdy & Sunday after I posted this.

my Sunday shoot is an evening portrait session at the beach, so I'll probably still try to bolt up the hill for a quick loop in the morning.

I'm closest to the Silverado entrance, but if there's more people that want to start from the Corona entrance, I'm up for that. I've only done that entrance once - how long does it take to get from the Corona entrance to Ortega? If time gets tight, I could always bail down the Silverado side, but I'm guessing I can make the whole thing.
  13. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    What time are you leaving in the morning inte?
    I could meet you in HB early in the am on Sunday!
  14. inte

Oddometer:
    cool!

I usually split from my place about 6:30a which gets me to Silverado by 7:15 (mind speed limits on weekends!)

I'd probably split about 20-30 mintues earlier if I was going to do the Corona entrance.

Tomorrow sometime I'm going to call & confirm the time I need to be at the shoot Sunday, then I'll PM you & we can figure a place to meet.
  15. Big Dave

Oddometer:
    Please put me in this loop also. I might could come down to the Silverado entrance, although I'v never been that way. I'll need directions to get there. I might be able to get Killer Priller to come also. I like the Corona entrance as it gradually gets you ready for the slightly tougher up ahead. But, then again, I'm a wimp.
  16. inte

Oddometer:
    You're officially in the loop!

Having done both IMHO Silverado is easier. Both ways are very 'fireroady', but Silverado has a long 1-lane paved beginning before you hit any dirt. The only real rocks you hit are near the top, but they'reafter junction with the Skyline, so you hit that same section either way.

As far as I can tell, all the roads up there in general are much less rocky than last year ... then again I spent all my time up there on a 27-lb mountain bike up until the past couple months, so riding the big KTM really smoothes things out :):
  17. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I'd like to go too But your start time is a bit early for me to get there from Escondido I'm at leat an hour from the Corona entrance but include me in any special notices
  18. Big Dave

Oddometer:
    How about 7:30am at the McDonalds at Lincoln and the 91 in Corona? That way Greg, coming from Escondido, doesn't have an additional 45 min to get to the other side of the hill.

What do you guys think?
  19. inte

Oddometer:
    7:30am at McDonalds - I'm there. I don't have to make it back to Huntington until 1pm, so that should give me plenty of time to get over the hill.

tommcbride - check your PMs
  20. Big Dave

Oddometer:
    See you guys there!