So Cal to Nor Cal to Nor Idaho, whadaya tink?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by N-Id-Jim, Jun 7, 2021.

1. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So i have gotten myself into a situation that i will have to ride myself out of.. a fly-n-ride.. fly from Spokane WA to San Diego, ride from Escondido back to N Idaho in 4 days.. How would you do it?
  2. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    When?
    What bike?
    Odom 1234!

hh
    wwm
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  3. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    395 north
    208 north
    85 alt
    80 east
    95 north
    1288 miles to Coeur D'Alene

3 easy 428 mile days, your route and mileage will vary.

Safe Travels
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    395 north with whatever curvy sidetrips you can fit in. For a leisurely ride like this, I'd detour over on Hwy 89 and take that past Lake Tahoe all the way to Hwy 299. That avoids some hotter, more crowded and lower elevation riding. Then 299 back to 395 up to John Day. Work your way NE on whatever curvy roads you have time left to ride.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  5. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rding a R1200RS, leaving Wed. June 16th in afternoon, get home Sunday... whenever, or maybe Monday.. :D
  6. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Holckster ! Some good ideas here.. No votes for cruising the coast, even if longer days... max out the daylight of mid-June maybe ?
  7. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    More good ideas ! I like the "less hotter" ideas too.Thanks jonz !
  8. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well if you've never done it a mid-summer weekday ride up Hwy 1 is a very fine route (weekends can get pretty busy). Temps are pleasantly cool and the scenery can't be beat.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  9. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Highway 1 as far north as you can. It's a fantastic road with lots to see, do, and eat.

I lived in LA for 25 years and never really went north of San Luis Obispo on Rt1.
    I did it last year, and my God do I want to go back and do it some more. I'm normally a rush there on the highway so I have more time "there" guy. I still am, but when you're given an option of a beautiful route, sacrifice the time. It's worth it.

Just going just from LA to SF is enough. I can't imagine how much more beautiful it is further north.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  10. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you like Hwy 1 LA to SF and rate it a 10, then north Hwy 1 from SF to Fort Bragg is a 20.
    Google "Lost Coast Hwy" off Hwy 101/254 at the "Avenue of the Giants" for an amazing 70+ mile loop thru the Redwoods of Humboldt State Park over to the coast and exiting thru Ferndale, a quaint Victorian Village back to hwy 101..
    neanderthal and N-Id-Jim like this.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That's Iron Butt type stuff there. If I had to do the ride portion in 3 days, I'd probably make a b-line, including Hwy 395 for the best possible scenery without adding time.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Esc...b05bf5290!2m2!1d-116.7812225!2d47.6734632!3e0

How is the fuel range on the bike you're buying? The section between Reno and Boise may be sparse on gas. You may want to bring/buy a fuel container of some sort. I carry MSR bottles in a small cloth tool bag, but Giant Loop makes larger bladder style gas bags.

When I was coming back from Montana, I nearly ran out in my truck. I was looking at the map, thinking I might just make it to a little mom & pop store. When I got there, they were out of gas. The lady says "the good news is when you run out of gas before the next town you'll be back in cell phone range". :lol3 I made it, running on pure fumes. :knary
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  12. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I have pretty much wittled it down to sticking to the coast as much as possible with some fun canyon detours... If the time and weather cooperates, the lost coast Matolli Rd loop de loop is no my radar too. Thanks for the ideas !

Cheers!
    neanderthal likes this.
  13. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holckster, it's done and it was as you said... but... Hwy 1 from Fort Bragg to Leggett was a 30! Best stretch of road hands down, period! Also the lost coast loop was epic, but it would be easy to wreck a Rim out there.. the road is in such rough shape.. sheesh.