So I bought a 2020 Vespa 300 GTS HPE

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Ride2Live/Live2Ride, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what a "Zimmer Frame" is called in America,but it's a Walking aid Frame & in my post it was used in VERY jokeing context,i'm beginning to worry that my comments may have come over all wrong.
    Just let me add that in the UK we tend to make a lot of fun at ourselves as we get older,just to show that in old age we haven't lost our sense of humour & to be clear I have nothing but respect for anyone still riding at 94 years of age,i really hope I can,in fact i'd just settle for still being able to breath.:-)
  2. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a new one for me , I thought a Zimmer was one of those kit cars made to look like and old Mercedes SSK .
  3. DandyDoug

Oddometer:
    Never ever settle , keep moving and you might just out run the grim reaper for a few more years.
    As for a walker, I still use mine occasionally when I get the wobbly legs. ( like today ) AARRGGHH !!!
  4. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Its not riding that’s the problem at 81, it’s what the body does when the riding is over, in my case I would most likely fall to the floor with bike almost on top......NASTY!
    I’m as much FOR biking as the next man (I love it) but sadly have to recognise a responsibility to be safe to all who I may be in contact with.

Jim
  5. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Clint Eastwood once said “Every man has to know his limitations”. Or something like that.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife once asked me what I was gonna do with several hundred pictures of Mexico from my 21,000 miles of rides down there- I said if I was lucky, I'd be alive to look at them on my back in bed when I could no longer ride and think about what once was...
    Squar, maybe you could get ya a "pretty young skirt" to help you get on and off? :roflMaybe my grand daughters will help me do the get off?
  7. cheapeto

cheapeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful thread, and most excellent looking Vespa!!
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes there is just too much red
    [​IMG]
    cheapeto and DandyDoug like this.
  9. longwaypyder

longwaypyder Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, do any of youse Vespa types ever ride two up? I am intrigued by the wasps, especially the 300 cc variety. Curious to know how the two up handling is, my Morphous is like a recliner on wheels, most well mannered. Interested in something a bit bigger in displacement. No Vespa dealer locally, so test rides are hard to come by.End of ramble.
    Cheers to all, David 018.jpg
  10. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The issue two up with the Vespa is the fat ass and placement of the passenger pegs. So if you plan on two up riding you need the foot peg extenders. The Vespa isn’t that much larger displacement than your Morphous. Though the handling will be much different.
  11. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    KantucKid.....IF ONLY? No, I have the most beautiful wife who looks after me, before her retirement she was a
    trained nurse and Matron of a Nursing home and cared for her late husband for 32 years before his passing three years before we met, she’s 4 years my senior and we met on the banks of England’s River Thames on Saturday September 15th (Battle Of Britain Day) in 1989 when I was 52 and suffering extreme pain from a slipped disc while on my ‘single handed’ boating holiday, we married less than a year later and have been closer than a match head on a matchstick ever since, she’s A GEM.

Jim
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what my wife found pillion on a GTS. The extenders will work for some pillions but they don't, of course extend your legs so there's still some pillions who will find it an imperfect ergo fit. Power or handling isn't the problem, if they fit OK.
    Jim, what a lovely story. Me thinks you two should just continue as you are.:clap
    When I met my wife (near Ft Gordon, GA/1970) I was "feeling no pain" @ a dance hall, thus she captured my attention in a somewhat inebriated state? Life is so unfair.
    In reading your bio/info, we share the BSA experience as my first MC was a 650 BSA bought in 1963. We haven't been to your corner of the UK, maybe next visit.
    Come visit Battle Scooters again soon.
  13. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Kantuckid, good bikes the old uns, if you find yourself coming to this part of the world in the future it would be good to meet up - let me know in advance. I’ll keep an eye on Battle Scooters - Many good threads...

Jim

Attached Files:

Moat, kantuckid, CaptnJim and 3 others like this.
  14. DandyDoug

Oddometer:
    That is a great picture of you and your lovely bride. !! Oh , that M/C ain't bad either.
    kantuckid and klaviator like this.
  15. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    Yes, A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, multiple slipped discs, two heart attacks leaving me with chronic heart failure with limited movement and pain, I keep most of the bikes in running condition just to give me the opportunity to ride if I feel like it. I had to sell my boat after 32 years ownership two years ago because after the h/a’s my balance was partly destroyed and water is no place to be in such situation, same went for my large sized model airplanes and full size light airplane flying. Many good memories though... For our last throw at the dice wife and I are into building and exhibiting our own designed model railway layouts with multiple choices of rolling stock just to keep the minds busy.

Jim

Attached Files:

The Virginian, Jim T and kantuckid like this.
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will probably be back in the UK next April or May but not sure how much will be in England as my husband wants to go back to Rasey and Skye. We are thinking of returning to the US on the Queen Mary 2as a bit of an indulgence.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 89 years old he's still trying to act young it seems. I like that he's a grounded person in Hollywood where many lack his more "earthly" life's experiences. So, I'm not sure he knows his own limitations so much as living it right up to the end as well he can.
    Squar, what a cute couple. I gotta say she got a movie star hubby, that mustache reminds me of an uncle I had who was a 100% double for Clark Gable.
    I never got into the HO RR thing much as had not the funds when younger but I did work briefly for the ATSF RR 6 months on a locomotive crane in what was a hug shops area. I had a neighbor in the early 50's who was also a machinist and his entire basement was a model RR! he actually machined many of his small items.
    Stay busy and enjoy what life provides.
    We do have a rough plan to visit the UK again. My wife leans toward England while I lean toward Ireland/Scotland. Last visit we flew into London, bused to York, rental car around and about then turned in after Wales in Shrewsbury and RR to Scotland, another car, then train south to Oxford and bused into London, then mostly urban hiking. We then to focus on gardens, some formal flowers but mostly veggies as that's a major activity we like and you Brits are indeed expert gardeners! Hard not to engage a MC rider when out and about in the UK. My USA hometown was full of you folks, mostly girls who married our USAF boys there dating from the wars until recent times.
  18. Rusty J

Rusty J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You say that like it's a bad thing...?
    The Virginian likes this.
  19. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    I like that pic... can’t say I’ve seen such a design over here even though it is Vespa.

Jim
    The Virginian likes this.
  20. Squar

Squar Jim

Oddometer:
    So what Vespa is this? It looks unusual to me - but very desirable. What’s a 946?

Jim