So I bought this CBR1000RR...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Kai Ju, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Giving in to peer pressure, I'm starting a new thread. This one will be a very slow moving Build thread, as opposed to the "So I bought this K100..." Built thread.
    Amazing the difference a single letter can make, ain't it ?
    To those of you that have seen my work on ADVrider, you already know that I like my bikes naked, the way Dog intended them to be.
    Engine/frame/suspension and misc. bits out there for the world to see.

So here is what I started with:

[​IMG]

Here is where I'm going:

[​IMG]

I'll continue my narrative when I get back from walking the dogs.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    neither of those seats look very comfortable.
  3. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    That went better than expected. Walking the dogs that is.

Ever since I saw the above picture, I've wanted to build a "Standard" CBR1000RR. I love the power, the handling, the brakes and the lack of weight.
    But I also like the comfortable riding position that goes with naked bikes. I see no reason to be uncomfortable at my age, but I still want to have fun.
    Just like the naked VTR, I sought out a clean, unmolested stock bike as a starting point. I've been looking for seven years to find the perfect candidate.
    One owner, a Science teacher, close to my age, and anal about maintenance.
    The only caveat was slightly high mileage...71,000 miles to be exact. It languished on Craig's List for months at $4800. It finally started dropping in price and I called the owner when the price dropped to $4200.
    No, that's not what I paid for it. It's not polite to ask, but it was substantially less.

One of the hurdles in converting the CBR to standard bars is the upper triple clamp. On the VTR I was able to drill the solid upper clamp, make my own risers and use CB750 Nighthawk handlebar clamps.
    The CBR clamp is not solid, nothing there to drill and the holes are the wrong shape...
    Spiegler, and some other folks, make really nice conversion kits, but none of them are in my price range. I'm not willing to pay in excess of $500 for the privilege of holding on to a handlebar.
    There are plenty of upper triple clamps out there, but they are either too expensive, open like the stock clamp, or don't have the mounting bracket for the steering damper.
    I finally found this clamp, on ebay, for $100.00, shipped.
    (Just recently I found it new on Amazon.com. http://tinyurl.com/ya3neqjx for not much more. Oh well, 50 bucks is 50 bucks)

I didn't take a photo prior to drilling, but here it is drilled with handlebar clamps and handlebars installed.

[​IMG]

I'm hungry from all this writing. I'll be back later.

Gratuitous photo of one of the dogs I walked earlier, with the CBR in the back ground.

[​IMG]
    nk14zp, Nemosengineer, lesman and 3 others like this.
  4. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forwards to another fine build.

S'funny, I have identical risers on my ancient guzzi. Can't remember what they came from, but the guzzi switches were replaced with ones from a honda, could have been the same bike.
    Kai Ju likes this.
  5. jmcmotorsports162

jmcmotorsports162 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this looks like it could be interesting.

Good luck with the build
    Kai Ju likes this.
  6. Arktasian

Arktasian Lets call it Naturalized

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following your posts and workmanship!
    Kai Ju likes this.
  7. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    The risers/clamps were donated by a friend of mine and came off a nondescript triple clamp. They are held on by 10mm bolts so I could raise them at will.
    The bars shown in the photos have been replaced with CB1000R bars, which I really like and accommodate the Honda switch gear and perches.
  8. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    I'm really not patient enough to stop and take pictures at every step, I just want to get the job done. Having said that I'll try and be a bit more patient as I move along with further changes.
    Like I already said, the bike is a runner and I've been commuting on it for the past couple of weeks but there is a lot of work yet to be done.
    The radiator filler neck is a true eyesore, as is the license plate/turnsignal bracket. I'm hoping to tackle that this weekend. Father's Day should be spent in the garage wrenching...
    I ended up making my own front turnsignals and will post pictures of those in their finished shape. I'll try and take photos of making the rear turn signals.
    Back to my real job.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  9. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    I love a good ol' fashioned street fighter. CBR1000RR is a perfect starting point! I used to roll a wrecked SV1000S:
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see how it turns out!
  10. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dog looks scared. . .
  11. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Wasn't there a Euro only naked version of the previous generation of CBR1100? I can see the bike but can't remember what it was called.
  12. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    dbarale likes this.
  13. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    Then you might like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing to my old TL 1000s years ago and it transformed the bike to an all day machine. Did the same on a CBR 929 with a Speigler kit with same results. Should produce a great rider for you and its amazing how comfortable the seats become when your nuts aren't constantly being smashed into the tank.
  15. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    Meter and headlight mount.
    Here is my original version that just held the meter. Made from 1/8 aluminum, attached via the ignition lock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At that point I was considering a Trucklite over/under LED headlight that requires a headlight bucket/trim ring setup.

But then I found this headlight which has four threaded mounting holes incorporated in the reflector body. So no bucket or ears.
    Back to the drawing board. My apologies for not having a photo of the mount in its stages from paper template - to flat sheet - to final bends.
    Like I said earlier, I have a hard time putting parts and tools down to take photos.

So here is what it looks like installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the vast empty space below the headlight...

What you see in the next photo is the toolbox off the Honda Africa Twin.
    It's mounted to a backing plate, which in turn attaches to the lower triple clamp via two bolts. The one on the right was already there, holding the original brake hose in place. The second one I drilled and tapped on the mirror image side.
    Inside the box is the Bank Angle Sensor, as well as the turn signal and main relays.
    Originally the wiring loom came up from the left side between the frame and the top of the radiator. You can still see it in this photo.
    The loom is now routed between the airbox, and the back of the steering head. It exits in the same place that the left combo switch uses.
    I don't have a closeup of the final installation. Tomorrow, I promise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is what the bike looks like right now.

[​IMG]

Displayed at a local bikeshow, along with the K100 in the background.

Tomorrow I'll cover the homemade front turnsignals...
    nk14zp, Nemosengineer, RCmoto and 5 others like this.
  16. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    Who made the headlight? What watts/lumens? Does it have high and low beams? Cost?
    It's a nice looking headlight. Nice solution for Headlight/gauge mounting.
  17. lesman

Oddometer:
    I just found it on Ebay.....3000 lumens low beam, wow
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow, this thing is pretty cool!

the visible "fuel tank" is that more of just a cover, it looks like a lot of airbox up high and front.

whats the fuel capacity/range on this thing?
  19. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    This is the actual headlight I purchased.

http://tinyurl.com/ybkgn7uk
  20. lesman

Oddometer:
    Innovative and thrifty........you are the man. How much watt action does your stator put out?