So I built an electric motorcycle that does 90 mph with a 70 mile range.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by dave6, Oct 12, 2015.

1. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did several videos following the build, here is one of them, it is a slideshow from the beginning to end of the build more or less. If it interests you check out the other videos in the play list. The last few videos are of it on the road and are lengthier.
    P1010994.JPG
  2. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needs a ride report :)
  3. henrrytuan

henrrytuan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wonderful !
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    "So I built an electric motorcycle that does 90 mph with a 70 mile range."

Call me a non believer without details it's just another post on the internet:flush
  5. Electro Flyers

Electro Flyers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't be put off by the skeptics. Some people think if it's not noisy, greasy, dirty, and wasting the planet -it's not real I think it's pretty bold to build a e-bike in the cold and oil country.

Looks like a Altrax controller and a Motenergy 1003 motor (with a meat thermometer stuck in it!)? What kind of battery management system (BMS) are you using? Are those Sinopoly 60Ah batteries your running? A Delta Q or clone charger? Final drive ratio?

So yeah, more details.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he was kidding. Kinda funny from a guy who sells advanced LED lighting.
    Massuruka likes this.
  7. Electro Flyers

Oddometer:
    Sanjoh is right though. We could use more details
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP is probably one of those guys that likes to build more than he likes to write on forums.
    What a tease though.
  9. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'd like to know the battery type, capacity and number. Motor specs. Drive ratio. Controller. etc
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Having built, flown, driven many epowered thingys the design process to come up with a bike (or anything that motivates from epower) that will do what the OP is claiming would be very interesting. As an engineer and mathematician having gone through that process I've found that you can calculate all day long but when the rubber meets the road the outcomes can be very different.

And I have an older Zero that needs some new batteries!

Details please:deal
  11. Jacl-Kampuchea

Jacl-Kampuchea Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    Watching his other video I gather that the 70 mile range is under A road conditions, drawing around 1amp per mile. He does note that city/town use or heavy throttle riding will drain th charge dramatically faster.

He also notes that it lacks power on hills, but can be seen travelling fine and fast at other times.

More details would be nice, please OP, if you can spare some time. This looks like it was a lot of work.
  12. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, more details it is....
    The latest build of the bike has these items.
    -24 of Sinopoly 100 ah LifePo4 batteries.
    -deltaQ battery charger on board provides charge from 120 or 240 volt supply as its voltage sensing. (takes about 6.5 hours to charge from dead)
    - The donor bike was a very heavy steel frame 1988 Suzuki Katana 1100, the bike all up wet full of electrons weighs in at about 650lbs.
    - It now has a Curtis 1238/650 3 phase AC controller that will put out 550 amps, has reverse, has regen. braking and an economy mode.
    - It now has an HPEV AC 20 3 phase AC induction motor that's rated at about 50 HP and 70 ft lbs of torque with an RPM setting of 6500 rpm.
    - I now have the bike geared with an 11 tooth on the front and a 72 tooth on the back giving a 6.5 to 1 ratio direct drive 1 gear no clutch.
    - The bike has a top speed of 130 kmph or 81 mph (I just changed the gearing again this week) and it gets there fast, I haven't timed it yet but it goes ok (think a 500 cc twin).
    - Range around town I am guessing because I have never run it dead would be about 106 kms (.75 ah per km) or about 67 miles. My route to work is 36 kms on a coastal BC road with lots of hills and twisties, my speeds range from 50 kph to 120 kph, if I ride it hard I can use as much as 1.2 ah per km for the trip. So worst case range driven hard would be around 66 kms or 41 miles.(100 ah battery pack with 80% safely usable). I normally use 1 ah per km mixed ridding so 80 km range city highway. I weigh 200 lbs plus all the gear all the time so probably 220 or so all up.
    - The only sound you hear is chain noise....ZZZZZZZ sort of like the Jetsons.
    - The battery pack is insulated and heated so ambiant temps don't affect the range.
    - I have about $10,000 Canadian pesos into it now partly because I used a crap motor to begin with that I had to replace and a BMS and a controller.....my wife amazingly continues to put up with my shit.
    - Original BMS was a one of built by an electrical engineer from Calgary the has failed twice so is now being replaced by the EMUS bms soon to be installed.
    - Head lights are twin 35 watt HID projectors from China which work Very well with a perfect cut off like I've never seen.( I ride in the dark in the rain 2 hours a day 6 months a year roughly)
    - This bike was purpose built for my commute to work everyday, the only change I would make or will make is a better donor bike, something with full fairing but lighter weight, ZX10, Busa etc., maybe build my own aluminum frame and put some sport bike forks and suspension on it and keep the tupperware?
    - I also have a tricked out 2012 Super Tenere sitting in my garage, but all that shifting gears and pulling the clutch, stopping for gas just seems like such a chore now....lol
    voltsxamps and GR0NK like this.
  13. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes a meat thermometer, you got it..........I wanted to know the motor temp as it felt hot. The new motor has a temp sensor internal which reads out on a gauge on the dash.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  14. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its true now that I put it on the internet, you non believer!!!!...lol
  15. Electro Flyers

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and updates. You mean BC's own Delta Q (well, via China) charger. You shoe-horned in 24-100's. That's a lot of batteries. Even if you had to strap some on the outside of the battery box. That's what zip ties were made for.

What was your original motor and What were the issues you had with it? Does the AC20 have extra cooling with an electric fan? Are you able to maintain a good freeway(or whatever you call it in Canadian) cruising speed without the motor overheating? I'm working on a electric touring bike, even heavier than yours, trying to decide on a motor. It seems like the AC20 would be kind of marginal for my ap.

Also, kudos to the amazing wife.
  16. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the ME 1003 PM dc motor, it failed at 11,000 kms. I think a brush got stuck and arc welded the commutator beyond repair. Motor cooling is going to be an issue for longer high speed trips, I have no extra cooling at this time but am considering a fan or blower into a tight shroud around the motor with ram air assist. I have seen as high as 76 deg C on the motor temp. lots of full throttle fun. They say 80 C plus ambient is OK. I would never use a motor with brushes again. I think 65 mph continuous on the flat would be no problem even without extra cooling, to maintain that up a long hill, the motor will get hot so extra cooling would be needed. The ME1003 turned at 3000 rpm at 72 volts the ac20 turns at 6500 rpm so being able to gear it down to 6.5 to 1 has had huge acceleration advantages. Tesla turns at 18,000 rpm with a 9 to 1 reduction.
  17. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice setup. I like your choices too.

I've always wondered why someone won't make a motor that fits in the wheel. Wound properly it should work just fine and weigh about as much as the final drive on a beemer (and no brushes :) ).
  18. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is called a hub motor. Lots of kits out there, but limited on power.
  19. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a special project vehicle that used 4 in an off road vehicle. 30hp per hub. That was enough for over 100mph. And was great in rocks.

I'd like to see one sized to fit in the space of a brake drum.

PS for grins you could put one in the front wheel as well :)
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Don't let other dissuade you from following your passion!
    dave6 likes this.